/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Re: R26 Broncos vs Storm

Shitful game, apart from a couple of late runs from Thaiday the rest couldn't have given less of a shit.

Boyd in particular did nothing, they looked like they had one eye on next week already.

Last edited:

Storm lay all over us and Maxwell did nothing

...and so he fucken should. How long how A.Mc been in first grade now?

It was really obvious tonight that Mc isn't the dummy half we need to go to the future with. He needed to step up .....he didn't.

He needed to start calling the shots .....he can't. We had three inexperienced halfs out there. Mc couldn't even provide good service from dummy half...let alone put them young blokes on the front foot.

Oh.....but he tackled well. :rolleyes:
Sign me up for the Robbie Farah camp. Let's offer him minimum wage Roosters style, and let the Tigers pay the rest of his contract out.

Agree with most of the comments, this game meant sweet **** all.

The boys had one thing on their minds - "preservation"

What I took from the game

- Taylor will be a great get for the Titans

- Niko is more than accomplished and can easily plug the gaps

- The so-called new but clearly non-existent rule (Section 11 (10) (a)) At the completion of the tackleThe player in possession:‘shall be immediately released’ by the defender and/or defenders. is severely hurting our team,.

One of two things needs to happen - we either revert back to the wrestle or kindly ask Mr Bennett to publicly bash the **** out of the rule.

Last but not least, **** I hate everything about Melbourne "includes Smith"

Last edited:

A lot of hate on here for Milford, people need to realise he's only been playing in the halves professionally for a season, is 21, and is used to play in a combination with Hunt.

We did look rudderless in attack, but that was to be expected without Hunt & Taylor going down early. Any team relying on a bunch of really young, inexperienced guys (Nikorima, Milf, Taylor) to direct their attack completely is going to have some teething issues despite how talented they are - just look at the Tigers.

Aside from that our defence was mostly good, but I don't think the guys really brought it out of second gear. One positive I'll take from this is that our defence is going to keep us in matches - losing by 7 against a fairly dominant Melbourne team shows just how good it is. I'll take a 7 point loss against the Storm missing our playmaker, his backup, losing our fullback and having one of our three best forwards out.

On to the semis now and I'm expecting a win at Suncorp against the Cowboys with our best 17 on show. Up the Broncs

Sidenote: Taylor is an awesome buy for the Titans. Hopefully Bennett gets him back to Red Hill in two years time

I record the game so I can get the post-game stuff for Hodges..

I come back and find out that they didn't fucking have it. That pissed me off.

Instead they cut to the footy show.. That show needs to go.

Sure our attack wasn't the best tonight, but to put things in perspective we were missing our best halfback then lost our backup 30 minutes in. Plus it's hard to build any momentum when the Storm get to blatantly lie on ours for so bloody long. If you go to Suncorp early tomorrow morning you'll probably see Thaiday still being held down by three Storm players while the ref looks on passively.
I got an autograph from Gillett as he was just getting ready to play the ball, after the 4 Storm players finished peeling off, just around the time Hodgo was on the podium giving his speech.
oealL.png

Seriously though, we were cooked as soon as Taylor went off, without anyone capable of steering us around and without a capable kicking game (Gillett excluded :takdir:).
Kodi tried hard, but couldn't turn the tide either unfortunately, and neither Macca nor Milford (hopefully not yet for the latter) were able to steady the team and get our attack in shape. Bigger responsibilities for the hooker, who has been in FG long enough to do better, but also glaring evidence that Milford is still a ball playing fullback doing a job at 5/8.
After Taylor and JNik's loss, I really hope Ben Hunt is about as indestructible as Cam Smith!

We were still very determined and resilient despite finishing the game without 4 cogs as important as Hunt (Taylor), Boyd, Glenn and Kahu, so I'm not too worried about next week, especially since we didn't suffer serious injuries and should have our best 17 (bar McGuire) against the Cowboys.

Great work by Blair (again) and Thaiday getting us forward. Awesome display by Gillett, covering his flank, protecting Taylor and later Niko. All forwards worked hard enough and didn't do anything stupid, deserving wraps for their work. The backline didn't get quality ball and couldn't deliver more, despite Hodgo's best efforts. Oates definitely secured his wing spot imo, and I can't see Maranta dislodging him or Kahu for the rest of the season. He was pretty rusty, even in what is his greatest asset... bomb defusing. Boyd was pretty quiet, but again... didn't get much to work with, and relies a lot on his halves to put him in space.

I will give Boyd one really big wrap, which is the "invisible" work he does in defense, both steering the players around, as well as his positioning in our goal line defense. He is a great part of how good we have been on our own line!

Last edited:

I record the game so I can get the post-game stuff for Hodges..

I come back and find out that they didn't fucking have it. That pissed me off.

Instead they cut to the footy show.. That show needs to go.

The intro to that show is terrible. The song they play sounds like it came straight out of a high schoolers garage.

Yeah it's pretty poor that instead of showing Hodgo's speech or anything at all after the game they immediately cut to the worst "football"-themed show on television. When the supposed highlight of your show is Beau "funny as the plague" Ryan it's time to pull the pin.

That pretty much panned out as I thought. A few things became evident.

First was just how good the trio of Glen, Hunt and Kahu actually are.

I think Oates definitely showed he will be the one playing on the left wing instead of Marranta. You would of thought that Marranta would have made a bit more of a statement and went looking for the ball a bit more.

Overall it was a pretty flat game. People are getting a bit carried away with the loss. Up until 15 to go they were still in the game and that was minus a half-back. Broncos will be fine.

Like crap actually.

Maybe I'm not getting my feelings across. We didn't lose by much and that's ok given the large number of injuries. That we lost doesn't worry me too much.

What does is that the whole side seemed lost without Hunt. Milford was much less effective without Hunt. Macca tried too hard but at least he tried. The attack was flat without Hunt. Without Hunt, nobody could step up and create something. No one.

For mine, that's not good. I don't know, maybe deep down I wanted to beat the Storm too much for my own good I'm being too harsh.

Mate I think you might be being a little too harsh. I will have to have a look at the replay but I thought there were opportunities created and there was definitely pressure created, but it was shut down by a very good defensive effort from the Storm. I grant you that the attack was a bit clunky, but I just don't think it was as bad as you think it was. Plus you have to remember that they would have trained all week with Taylor running the side and then he is gone in the first half causing a further shuffle. We have seen what happens even at State of Origin level when you lose your dominant half how it can impact the side, even when you have a top class replacement.

Always disappointing to lose to the Storm but we competed for the full 80 mins so it is hard for me to be too critical.

A few comments in this thread looking for some scapegoats but i think that is a discredit to how good Melbourne were, especially in defence. They were really up for that game and were on Milford like a rash all game. Good coaching from Bellamy, a few times i was waiting to check the replay as it almost looked like Milford was getting tackled without the ball at times but the truth was they were just all over him. That is where we missed Hunt imo, especially when young Taylor went off.
I also think it is what helped Nikorima have a good game, the focus of the defence was on Milford and to use that individual game as an agenda that Milf is only successful against weak defence is unfair. If Milf had have been rested and Hunt played, i believe it would probably be a similar result. I think we need both of them to be at our best, pretty much like every other NRL team. Look at the Cows, with Morgan out the defence just concentrates on Thurston and suddenly he has a lot less space.
I thought Macca tried too hard last night in the absence of Hunt and with the momentum of the game, some of his service on the 5th tackle was poor. Credit for effort but imo he is not a natural attacking dummy half, excellent defense however.

The Storm are one team that can play to a coaches game plan, when they lose its generally that they don't have a plan B, unfortunately last night they didn't need one.
I disagree with some comments, i think the Storm are in the hunt for the premiership big time. If Munster keeps this form up they are not going to miss Slater and that team can really strangle the life out of a game if the opposition cannot counter with some attack.

It's always shit to lose to the Storm no matter what the variables are, having said that, I don't think we should be too concerned, we played with no structure at all and no kicker and we got within 7 of them. Another day with our full contingent you'll see a different scoreline.

Thought it was interesting how much we missed Hunt despite our criticisms of his game management or there lackof.

Taylor's debut was a bit of anti climax, kicking game was decent, wasn't involved too much with the play and then went off after 25mins.

Kodi stepped up well I thought, we looked a lot more dangerous with him in the halves than we did with Taylor (though a 25min sample isn't a huge thing to draw upon, plus Kodi has played enough NRL to have a bit of confidence whereas Taylor you could tell was a bit nervy).

No injuries of note, no players on report, a good grinding game before the finals and a minor wakeup call for the boys. I'd say that's exactly what Bennett was after, it ain't gonna get easier from here on in so the result might be a blessing in disguise in the long run.

Couple of thoughts on the game:

The defensive line didn't look to have the same confidence with Hunt and Glenn missing.
I think Milford copped a fair bit of extra attention when they realised he was going to be the go-to man.
Smith is a real prick on the field, the amount of whingeing and trash talk coming through on Sportsears was incredible. I also noticed once that he packed into a scrum with only one arm and when it set, he grabbed the leg of our hooker and pulled it up. WTF is that all about?

Oh dear,

Just got an inside report that Boyd has fractured his cheekbone, Milford has dislocated his knee, Thaidays got a foot injury and Blair is on report for spitting at the ref on full time.

Hang on, actually none of that has happened and we are second place with a home finals secured!

No lost momentum tonight. Or major concerns that we are going to fade out come next week.

We will see a different broncos against the cows and get our week off!

3. Thaiday
2. Milfy
.05 Niko
.05 Blair

Like crap actually.

Maybe I'm not getting my feelings across. We didn't lose by much and that's ok given the large number of injuries. That we lost doesn't worry me too much.

What does is that the whole side seemed lost without Hunt. Milford was much less effective without Hunt. Macca tried too hard but at least he tried. The attack was flat without Hunt. Without Hunt, nobody could step up and create something. No one.

For mine, that's not good. I don't know, maybe deep down I wanted to beat the Storm too much for my own good I'm being too harsh.

The other thing to take into account is that was the first disrupted game for the 6,7 and 9 this year. It would take a few games to settle into different roles, Also, I though the storm were pretty good.

I'm with the "you're being too hard on Milford" group. The first half of the year he was basically just learning how he fits within the team. The remainder up until now he's been learning how to best use those combinations. And with no notice, half an hour in to a game, he's supposed to magically be able to organise a team's attack against the best defensive side of the past 10 years?

I'm not sure if anyone remembers a decent #6 we used to have - who on the few occasions we were missing a proper halfback took on the #7 jersey himself - and pretty much sucked at it too.

What I love the most out of all of this is the people that are knocking milford were strangely silent when he and hunts combination had being looking so good over the last couple of months. Yet when he has an off game because he is completely targeted as he was the only threat in a game where he started without his organising halves partner and lost that guys replacement after 30; those same people have suddenly found their voice and he is just a 'ball-playing fullback' masquerading in the halves.

Amazing.

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Browny
  • Alec
  • Bucking Beads
  • pennywisealfie
  • Shane Tronc
  • Mr Fourex
  • Dash
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • dasherhalo
  • GCBRONCO
  • Bongo
  • FACTHUNT
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Battler
  • KateBroncos1812
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.