vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Nick Parfitt won that award three times, it still doesn't automatically convert to a successful NRL career. The jury is still out on Isaako which Bennett will be well aware.

Team of the year has only been done since '15. ISC coaches vote.

Hughes won it first two years and Isaako last year.

N

Number6

QCup Player
May 21, 2016

Lack of spine cover (except isaako to cover FB) is main concern if Bird not playing. Wouldn’t want to put Milf or Knik into a position of being only half (or Knik has to cover hooker given McCullough is only 2 games back from ACL). Might as well give Murphy a taste.

Also not a lot of upside in 4 forwards with only 8 interchanges anyway unless a couple of forward injuries or u have a 20 minute impact player.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Wests Tigers:

1. Corey Thompson
2. David Nofoaluma
3. Esan Marsters
4. Kevin Naiqama
5. Malakai Watene-Zelezniak
6. Benji Marshall (c)
7. Luke Brooks
8. Russell Packer
9. Pita Godinet
10. Ben Matulino
11. Chris Lawrence
12. Robbie Rochow
13. Matthew Eisenhuth

Interchange:

14. Matt McIlwrick
15. Alex Twal
16. Michael Chee Kam
17. Josh Aloiai

Reserves:

18. Tyson Gamble
19. Sauaso Sue
20. Tim Grant
21. Taane Milne

Man, that is a disgustingly bad roster, I have no idea how they're winning games, Ivan is a magician.

Broncos by 16.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Lack of spine cover (except isaako to cover FB) is main concern if Bird not playing. Wouldn’t want to put Milf or Knik into a position of being only half (or Knik has to cover hooker given McCullough is only 2 games back from ACL). Might as well give Murphy a taste.

Also not a lot of upside in 4 forwards with only 8 interchanges anyway unless a couple of forward injuries or u have a 20 minute impact player.

Su’A is capable of playing centre with Isaako or Boyd moved to 5/8 or halfback.

I think the cover is fine.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Keyframedownloadcontroller3

Nikorima aiming to bring down childhood idol Benji

March 20, 2018

Kodi Nikorima used to practise the Benji Marshall sidestep in the backyard and now he can’t wait to get one over one of his childhood idols.

When Nikorima and the Brisbane Broncos take on the Wests Tigers in Campbelltown on Friday night the halves battle will have a backstory beyond what happens on the field.

"When I was young I would watch Benji’s highlights, and then go and practise my sidestep out in the backyard with my brothers," Nikorima told NRL.com.

"I’d put cones out there and practise my footwork, and that was all thanks to Benji.

"I’m a proud Kiwi too and to see him come into the game the way he did really inspired me to want to play NRL."

Nikorima said he learned plenty about leadership and communication skills from Marshall when he was at the Broncos last year, facets of play he will be aiming to use against him on Friday.

"I am just fortunate I can call one of my idols a friend now," Nikorima said.

"It is an exciting game, coming up against Benji. He is one of my idols so I’ve got to be on. I am looking forward to the match-up.

"His leadership and his talk are what he brought to this team, and no doubt he is probably doing that for the Tigers as well."

Talk to New Zealand-born players in the Telstra Premiership and they will often describe in awe the impact Marshall made on them as youths and how he ignited a fire in their bellies to follow in his illustrious footsteps.

Nikorima is no different.

Marshall blazed a trail when he left New Zealand as a youth to try his hand at rugby league powerhouse Keebra Park High School, where he was a revelation.

"I think his path was harder than mine," Nikorima told NRL.com.

"He came over with no family and I was fortunate enough that all my family came over with me so that transition was a bit easier for me.

"I talk to all my Polynesian and Kiwi mates who have come over by themselves and can be daunting to not have much family around.

"For Benji to come over and live with a family on the Gold Coast, and then showcase what he has in the NRL is just a tribute to the kind of freakish talent that he is.”

Nikorima was an 11-year-old when Marshall lit up the 2005 grand final.

"Yeah…that flick pass,” Nikorima enthused.

"I was going for the Tigers at the time when he created that and I was screaming at the TV going ‘wow, he’s a freak’."

The 23-year-old will put the awe aside on Friday night as he tangles with his former teammate and the best defensive team of the opening two rounds.

"No doubt Benji will be ready to play," Nikorima said.

"It is always like that when you come up against a former team, so we’ll have to be on, but we can’t put our energy into just Benji. We have to spread it out across their entire 17 because they have been playing really well."

Source: NRL.com

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
I'm sure the Storm and Roosters thought that way ... and they both got beaten.

we will need to take them seriously

Yep we're a team that needs to be switched on 100% and get all the basics right to win. Do that we can beat any team. If we're complacent and not focused we're also a team that can get flogged by anyone as well.

B

Broncs_Fan

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2015
Man, that is a disgustingly bad roster, I have no idea how they're winning games, Ivan is a magician.

Broncos by 16.

If everyone buys in average NRL teams can do special things imo. This is going to be a hard game in front of a big crowd at Campbelltown. If we let the Tigers get their confidence up early it could be a long night.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
Remember when all those Sydney journos took the piss out of Bennett for signing Benji? Good times, good times.
Haha yep. And benji has credited Bennett multiple times for his resurgence, and for developing his game management skills. It's kind of odd that someone can coach up someone who's got 15 years of nrl experience to develop game management they've never had, yet they can't judge if we need a game manager, or can't simply do the same with another player.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Bird broncsfeb7

Jack Bird could make Broncos debut against Wests Tigers after training with team

March 20, 2018

BRISBANE coach Wayne Bennett says Jack Bird’s return to the NRL rests in the hands of the club doctor after the $3.5 million recruit took a step closer to his Broncos debut.

The NSW Origin utility completed an intense 90-minute session in Brisbane’s searing heat and is hopeful of being cleared for Friday night’s clash against the Wests Tigers in Sydney.

Bird celebrated his 23rd birthday and he could get the ultimate gift today when he visits Brisbane’s surgeon, who will decide whether his reconstructed shoulder is ready for contact against the Tigers.

The big-money Sharks import was expected to be sidelined until round five but Bird’s recovery has gone well and he is sweating on the green light to launch his Broncos career.

Bird trained at left centre and while he was not officially named in the squad for the Tigers showdown, Bennett said the Broncos doctor may yet rubberstamp his comeback.

“I’m leaving it to the doctor, he will tell us what to do with Jack,” Bennett said.

“I don’t know at this moment if he will play.

“If he’s fit, he’s fit. If he isn’t fit, then he’s not.

“What’s it matter if we wait another week? I will leave it to the doctor, it’s up to him.”

Bird looked comfortable in contact situations at training yesterday.

Wearing a padded guard on his chest to also protect a minor sternum injury, Bird reported minor soreness on his shoulder after the session but is within striking distance of his maiden Broncos cap.

Should Bird fail to impress the surgeon, rugged utility Tom Opacic, who was outstanding against the Cowboys last week, will start in the No. 3 jumper.

Bird is one of the most exciting attacking weapons in the code and halfback Kodi Nikorima said the premiership-winning former Shark would give the Broncos backline some extra bite.

“Jack is looking pretty good,” Nikorima said.

“He hasn’t been cleared yet so if not tommy (Opacic) will step up into that centre role.

“If he does play, I’ll be excited for ‘Birdy’.

“He has been training really well and brings a lot of energy. He’s a competitive guy who doesn’t like losing on or off the field.

“I’d be happy to have him back this week, but if not, we will wait another week.”

Nikorima admitted Bird initially had some trepidation about moving north to continue his NRL career in Queensland after winning a premiership at the Sharks in 2016.

“He was a bit nervous about coming to a Queensland club as a New South Welshman,” he said.

“But we have welcomed him with open arms and he will really enjoy his footy here.

“When he gets stuff off the field right, he will perform on the field.”

Source: Courier Mail

N

Number6

QCup Player
May 21, 2016
Su’A is capable of playing centre with Isaako or Boyd moved to 5/8 or halfback.

I think the cover is fine.

True but Boyd ever move out of fullback under Bennett I know that’s my dream but I think Bennett would rather McGuire move to halfback then move his son from his favourite position and risk someone else will do a better job.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Su’a should stay on the bench with Oppa dropping out if Bird is fit. Harsh on Oppa but Su’a is ready. He needs to get a few games under his belt because he’ll start by year end if he does and him defending next to Milf (once they get used to each other) will have a similar effect to Carroll and Locky. Su’a hits and they stay hit.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
If what Boyd said at last week's presser is true we should see him running with less of a hindrance and a bit more intent. I have to wonder if his mistakes and lack of match fitness are outweighed by his organisational skills.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Haas- 44 minutes, 17 tackles and one miss. I thought he was a lot better round one but it was very hot on Saturday.
Carrigan-51 minutes, 22 tackles and one miss, two offloads too.
Nona- Three missed tackles and only ran the ball six times. Dobson out playing him at the moment.
Pearson-three tackle breaks.
Pangai- 111m
Turpin- broken ankle
Fai- 130m and zero missed tackles.
Flegler- One offload and one tackle break. Did a lot of work off the ball.
Scarlett- kicked 230m and found space twice.
Mago- three tackle breaks and one line break.
Taggers 163m and a try with nine tackle breaks.
Murphy- 237m kick metres and six goals. One missed tackle

Active Now

• Footy Fanatic
  • Strop
  • john1420
  • Xzei
  • MrMoore
  • Mr Fourex
  • Jedhead
  • jd87
  • Bish
  • Santa
  • Broncos Maestro
  • ChewThePhatt
  • FACTHUNT
  • Big Del
  • kat00
  • TimWhatley
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.