Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I love this mentality that has slipped into the NRL that penalties are to be applied on a time and equality basis, rather than when they are or aren't deserved.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah, it would also be nice to now why JWH wasn't penalised even though he spent most of the second half so offside it looked like we had 14 players on the field

add that to the fact that JWH should have been penalised for a flop on Thaiday or the fact that JWH was constantly trying to start a fight with Thaiday ... he just didn't have the balls to actually throw a punch

A

Astro

QCup Player
Jun 27, 2014
It's pretty rubbish that they stop blowing penalties past a certain point so the count doesn't look ridiculous. Would anyone be upset with a 20-2 penalty count if it's justified and the calls are consistent?

Consistency is what bugs me the most. if it was a penalty in the first half why not the second?!

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I can't remember the exact word that was used but after a period with a lot of penalties the telecast picked up the Refs talking right after a penalty was blown and one ref seemed to be implying to the other that he should cut back on calling them.

I found it really odd to hear.

B

bb_gun

NRL Player
Contributor
Apr 23, 2013
I can't remember the exact word that was used but after a period with a lot of penalties the telecast picked up the Refs talking right after a penalty was blown and one ref seemed to be implying to the other that he should cut back on calling them.

I think they were saying "be more selective" or something similar to that, it was a little odd.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Well I will never give a shit about us winning the penalty count because I remember the game where we played the perfect team...we never received a penalty in the entire game and they received ten !!!!!

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
add that to the fact that JWH should have been penalised for a flop on Thaiday or the fact that JWH was constantly trying to start a fight with Thaiday ... he just didn't have the balls to actually throw a punch

Ridculous isn't it

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Well I will never give a shit about us winning the penalty count because I remember the game where we played the perfect team...we never received a penalty in the entire game and they received ten !!!!!

IIRC, that was a finals game against the Roosters

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
IIRC, that was a finals game against the Roosters
Don't know that it was finals Foordy but maybe, I'll have to look it up, you could be right. Either way, it still makes me cranky and it was compounded by the fact that not one of the footy shows made virtually any reference to the stunning fact that it had never happened before and it's never happened since. If it occurred these days to say the Bulldogs ,there would be riots.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Don't know that it was finals Foordy but maybe, I'll have to look it up, you could be right. Either way, it still makes me cranky and it was compounded by the fact that not one of the footy shows made virtually any reference to the stunning fact that it had never happened before and it's never happened since. If it occurred these days to say the Bulldogs ,there would be riots.

The game I'm thinking of is the 2002 prelim final. The Roosters beat us 16-12. I'd have to look up the stats to see if I'm right about the penalty count.

But you are right, Bulldogs fans would certainly riot if it happened to them. Hell, they even riot when the ref gets the call right.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
The game I'm thinking of is the 2002 prelim final. The Roosters beat us 16-12. I'd have to look up the stats to see if I'm right about the penalty count.

But you are right, Bulldogs fans would certainly riot if it happened to them. Hell, they even riot when the ref gets the call right.

Penalty count was 8-2 in favour of the Rorters

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Huge is referring to the Round 14 1996 game against Sydney City.

The same game where Andrew Gee was penalised for not tapping the ball.

The penalty count read 9-0 Roosters.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Regarding Thaiday and Glenn. Credit where it's due, these two have been immense in the last few weeks and have consistently been involved in some crucial plays that have swung momentum our way. Outstanding effort. My question to the forum is this: How much do you put it down to them being used more effectively this season and how much is down to them them playing for a contract? 50/50? 90/10? Is it still too early to tell? Keen to hear your thoughts.

These are two players that Bennett has publicly called out to lift and they are rising to the challenge, no doubts there, but it's funny how off-contract players tend to do that.

Interesting question. Thaiday always steps up a gear around contract time but then again, Bennett knows him quite well and no doubt knows how to get the best out of him by pushing the right buttons. When it comes to Glenn, I maintain he's improved simply because he's getting better ball. The weight loss also seems to have helped.

I love this mentality that has slipped into the NRL that penalties are to be applied on a time and equality basis, rather than when they are or aren't deserved.

Exactly.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013

You should where the refs ears at the game, I do. You hear these comments from time to time. I have also heard the main ref say we will have to start evening up the penalty count.
I also have a mate that has a job in AFL working in the game side of things. He sits in with the refs at halftime and says it is an absolute disgrace what is spoken about. They are virtually pre determining which teams need to watched for free kicks in the second half and not actually umpiring the game as it occurs after halftime

uptheguts

uptheguts

QCup Player
Oct 24, 2013
Why? You clearly see the chook pushing the ball out of Kodi's hands, at which point it becomes a live ball. Kodi then grounds it with his chest, while copping a hit to the head... should've even been a possible 8 point try!
I agree with this summation. This is near identical to the Thaiday try disallowed by video refs in Origin 2 last year . We really need a clarification on this by the head ref . As the skill of defenders to find a way to stop tries continue to reach new levels , this question is bound to come up again and again.The video refs need to have a clear rule to go by which includes all the permeatations eg grounding on loose ball by torso only , regather before grounding,or regather when simultaneously grounding. Does the video ref have to decide the whether the dislodging it was intentional or unintentional? I think it makes a difference when the ball is knocked out by a hand as compared to a shoulder. The more you think about it the more complicated it gets.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
You should where the refs ears at the game, I do. You hear these comments from time to time. I have also heard the main ref say we will have to start evening up the penalty count.
I also have a mate that has a job in AFL working in the game side of things. He sits in with the refs at halftime and says it is an absolute disgrace what is spoken about. They are virtually pre determining which teams need to watched for free kicks in the second half and not actually umpiring the game as it occurs after halftime

This is probably not as bad as it sounds. I could understand if they're discussing the teams and one says "I think Team X is pushing Rule X a bit too far, so look out for that and penalise them if they need to peg it back a bit". At least that is responding to actual indiscretions.

The other situation though, where they discuss being more moderate with penalties, or even worse yet, talk about evening up the count, that's just bullshit. Being impartial doesn't mean giving two teams the same number of penalties, it means treating their actions the same, and if one team is going outside the rules more than the other, than one team deserves more penalties. And if it's a penalty in the first half, it's a penalty in the second half. I'm sorry, the refs aren't there to coach the players in to cleaning up their act, or "manage" the flow of the game, starting harsh but becoming more passive to open the game up. They are there to blow the fucking whistle if a team infringes. Even if they just want to be perceived at being impartial (which would be a classic Greenberg directive), then they're fooling themselves because Rugby League fans are just as passionate about teams they hate as they are about those that they support, so thinking that fans will look at a count, see it roughly even, and call the refs fair just shows you how out of touch they are.

I agree with this summation. This is near identical to the Thaiday try disallowed by video refs in Origin 2 last year . We really need a clarification on this by the head ref . As the skill of defenders to find a way to stop tries continue to reach new levels , this question is bound to come up again and again.The video refs need to have a clear rule to go by which includes all the permeatations eg grounding on loose ball by torso only , regather before grounding,or regather when simultaneously grounding. Does the video ref have to decide the whether the dislodging it was intentional or unintentional? I think it makes a difference when the ball is knocked out by a hand as compared to a shoulder. The more you think about it the more complicated it gets.

Unfortunately, the NRL are only interested in explaining their position on (A) things they can justify as being correct, or (B) absolute howlers that didn't affect the outcome of the game. Did they ever admit they got the Foran Hand Of God call wrong? No, they just changed the rules, saying that the call was correct as per the old rules, but needed to be changed to prevent it again (but really, changed the rules so that they can rule it as whatever the **** they want and it's still "correct"). Would they have gone to all the trouble of explaining the rules on the Souths Bulldogs penalty if they realised they got it wrong? Never. Did they admit that Queensland were robbed by the Thaiday no-try ruling? Nope. And now they know that they're stuck with that interpretation, and will continue to rule it that way, lest they admit the backlash from up here was justified all along. It'll only change when it potentially means that one of the Darling clubs might lose a game, they'll finally call it correct and rule it as a strip so play-on (cue Lyon with the ensuing torso-try), and then they'll tell the media that it was a strip and they did on fact call it correct (and ignore they've been incorrect up until that point).

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Rookie Alan
  • Foordy
  • Morkel
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.