POST GAME [Round 7, 2024] Broncos vs Raiders

Hunt was having his best game so far .
He was running some good lines . Tackling well .
Then ....
Yeah I guess it's why alot of thus guys are fringe first graders. They are probably good enough to play regular NRL but just can't maintain the level long enough. I like hunt, I think he's a good player. If he can string some consistency together he could be great for us

I thought hunt had a diabolical 10 minutes but was pretty serviceable for the rest of the game. Can't wait to get piakura back
I agree. Hunt was mostly solid. I think the issue is that due to injuries, we are expecting Hunt to play 80 minutes, but he is only less than 20 games into his career. I think fatigue played a part in that awful 10 minute period, and perhaps he would be better suited playing shorter stints. Unfortunately, we don't have that option at the moment.

Although Hunt bombed that try, the positive was that he put himself in the position to even be there. Even in kick chases, he is usually among the first few defenders to meet the opposition. He is working hard and his doing his best, so It's hard to be too critical when he is still pretty much a rookie himself.

Hunt will likely learn a lot from this experience in first grade and if he can go away and improve certain aspects of his game in reserve grade, I think the next time he is called up to the starting team, he will be better for it.

I thought hunt had a diabolical 10 minutes but was pretty serviceable for the rest of the game. Can't wait to get piakura back
Serviceable is fine but those 10mins takes you from serviceable to liability. It wasn't just one mistake it was several varying ones. Missed tackles. Drop balls. Penalties undoing good defensive efforts from others. Just can't happen.

Hunt could be a Smokey for the 17 jersey if Oates goes down.

In terms of Madden, he is impressively quick the little fella. I reckon a spine of him, Walsh, Mam and Mozer could tear teams to shreds on the back of the forward pack we have. We just have speed everywhere.

He's easily our most important forward. He's stepped big time up to cover losing a quality forward in Haas, i think we would have been in a worse position right now if it was Patty we lost instead of Payne. What Patty brings is harder to cover for.
Without a doubt. Seems to have improved in a lot of ways too which is weird to say. I wonder if Haas being out has given him the space or confidence to really push himself to another level.

It will be great to have Haas back and let Patty manage his work load better.

I agree. Hunt was mostly solid. I think the issue is that due to injuries, we are expecting Hunt to play 80 minutes, but he is only less than 20 games into his career. I think fatigue played a part in that awful 10 minute period, and perhaps he would be better suited playing shorter stints. Unfortunately, we don't have that option at the moment.

Although Hunt bombed that try, the positive was that he put himself in the position to even be there. Even in kick chases, he is usually among the first few defenders to meet the opposition. He is working hard and his doing his best, so It's hard to be too critical when he is still pretty much a rookie himself.

Hunt will likely learn a lot from this experience in first grade and if he can go away and improve certain aspects of his game in reserve grade, I think the next time he is called up to the starting team, he will be better for it.

I thought it might be time to give him a rest and move Oates in and Sailor to the wing .
I will forgive him dropping the pass from Walshy . It was too hard and in an awkward position . But ,,, that`s two he`s blown , is it three strikes and you`re out ? LOL .
I didn`t realise his relative inexperience . I have had a soft spot for him since I saw him in the trials . He does a lot of good work off the ball .After seeing him interviewed the other day I like him even more . I hope he succeeds .

Disagree on Hunt.

Bloke butchered a certain try, let a try in, and was not up to standard overall.
He might be acceptable to a team like the Titans, or the Tigers, but he is not up to Bronco standards.

I know he is green, but jesus christ he should have put that try down that Walsh gifted him.
We have better options.

I thought it might be time to give him a rest and move Oates in and Sailor to the wing .
I will forgive him dropping the pass from Walshy . It was too hard and in an awkward position . But ,,, that`s two he`s blown , is it three strikes and you`re out ? LOL .
I cant forgive him for that drop, he overran Walsh, had no pressure on him, not a Raider within cooee of him and he dropped it cold.
Thats a standard catch and put down every day of the week and he fudged it.

If that was the difference between a win and a loss, every single person here would be baying for him to be dropped, but because we won comfortably it is overlooked.

Bloke is not up to Bronco standards so far imho.
He may come good, and if so thats awesome, but he was far and away the worst on field for us.

In terms of Madden, he is impressively quick the little fella. I reckon a spine of him, Walsh, Mam and Mozer could tear teams to shreds on the back of the forward pack we have. We just have speed everywhere.
Throw Sailor in as backup and we have relentless attack.
Even our second string options in attack are dangerous as ****.

Kev is doing great drilling the defense into these boys.
We have oodles of natural attacking talent across the park.
Defense defense defense.

and of course the short drop outs.

His speed was complimenting Walsh last night .
Taking pressure off Reece on the sweep plays .By threatening himself . Only a matter of time before Jock steps out of some of these tackles around one boot the opposition are catching him with . Then the fun and games will begin . I believe he is playing conservatively under orders and has a lot more to show yet .

He kicked the best I have seen him last night . Good plan to have Walsh do some long kicking too . Although keeping it away from the dead ball line would be nice Reece .

Serviceable is fine but those 10mins takes you from serviceable to liability. It wasn't just one mistake it was several varying ones. Missed tackles. Drop balls. Penalties undoing good defensive efforts from others. Just can't happen.
Not disagreeing with anything you said, but looking at the three errors from Hunt, I believe they are easily fixable.

The bombed try was a pretty hard and slightly high spiral pass in wet conditions which ended up just over his shoulder. He probably should have still caught it, but If just a few things are different in that play, i.e. he is a step further back to receive the pass, or the pass was further Infront of him, or if it wasn't such horrible wet conditions, then the outcome is likely different and Hunt probably scores. I was happy with the effort to even be there in support.

The missed tackle looked bad, but he slightly slipped and then got outpaced by an outside back playing in the halves. Fatigue likely also played a part in that, but If he doesn't slip, he is probably there to cover the gap and is able to get his shoulders in the tackle.

The high tackle, was not even that bad. Much worse has been let go. Every player has unintentionally made a high tackle before. It happens to the best of them. Usually basic errors like that arise due to fatigue, so he just needs to a bit more careful next time.

it's hard to be too critical of him given that he probably shouldn't even be playing 80 minutes as a starting backrower in the first place. With less than 20 NRL games in his career, he is relatively inexperienced, and he has been thrown in the deep end due to our injury woes.

@McHunt

What happened with Smoothie last night ?
Billy and his cohort scored 28 points . Tyson and his crew 6 ?

Blows up your Smoothie = points theory .

Your excuses ?

I said three weeks ago when Madden ran six times against Norths and let his outside backs run riot that I was hoping that was his blue print for how he plays and yesterday he did it again.

He ran nine times but look at his backs.

Line breaks
Walsh 3
Oates 1
Staggs 1
Cobbo 1

Every back made over 100m just like Wynnum did that day- Staggs was just short on 96m and three tries.

He kicked beautifully just like against Norths-375m v 329m.

Last year there was games he ran 23 times; it is too much and doesn't leave enough room on the canvas for anyone else.

I said three weeks ago when Madden ran six times against Norths and let his outside backs run riot that I was hoping that was his blue print for how he plays and yesterday he did it again.

He ran nine times but look at his backs.

Line breaks
Walsh 3
Oates 1
Staggs 1
Cobbo 1

Every back made over 100m just like Wynnum did that day- Staggs was just short on 96m and three tries.

He kicked beautifully just like against Norths-375m v 329m.

Last year there was games he ran 23 times; it is too much and doesn't leave enough room on the canvas for anyone else.
One of his best first grade games at the Bronx imo. Looking far more strategic

We've just gotta appreciate every game we have with Wllison from now on. I don't see us keeping him with how good he is.

In conditions like last night, its your forwards who are going to win it for you.

Most so-called experts claim that Canberra have one of the best and deepest forward rotations in the entire comp.

There aren't far wrong about that actually.

But what does that tell you about THAT performance by our forwards last night?

Yes, losing Fogarty was simply an injury too many for the Raiders, who do miss the direction he gives them.

The usual guys stepped up, but a big shout out to guys like Kobe, Jensen, and Baker.

A underated aspect of Haas and Piakuras injuries has been the increased roles and repsonsibilites put on these guys shoulders in particular.

Apart from one (do I need to name him..) they are rounding out nicely. I reckon these minutes now will be of great benefit during that dreaded SOO period...

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • theshed
  • Pablo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.