RUMOUR: Eels interested in Hunt

Parra's jersey and ours are fairly similar.

This is some Facebook rumor garbage, the same joint has Napa coming to us. I think if they spew enough garbage rumors up one will eventually be right.
ye thats true heard the same thing about napa
i wouldnt say no to napa :o_o: lol

I'll admit his short kicking game has been in a bit of a funk the last few weeks, but as an overall package he is one of the better short kickers in the game. His long kicking game was highly critised early in his career, but that has certainly improved. Again, not the best overall kicker, but that's not the major strength of his game, but for some to say only the struggling clubs would be interested in him is a gross mis-service to his ability.
I'm sorry... what? :shocked:

His mid-, long-range kicking is alright, and he has a reliable bomb from 30-40 meters out, but his short kicking game is atrocious in every aspect, be it grubber, cross kick or even bomb. That has always been the case, and has not in anyway improved at all imo.
His decision making on the fifth leaves a lot to be desired (as does Milf's) and we are probably close to the worst team in the NRL at building pressure.

I do agree he is an excellent half as a package. Those comments about struggling clubs being the only ones interested (where did you see those?) are indeed over the top, and I'm sure most teams would love to have him, but more as a pivot than as a halfback.

If Shaun Johnson ever came to our club I believe that would be sick! good steeping game and ball game!

I know kodi has played halfback before but how good at the position do you believe he is? I see him more as a hooker then anything

I feel like this season Hunt's bombs have been going higher, and he seems to find the grass more with long kicks.
Now there's some stats I'd love someone to keep track of!

I feel like this season Hunt's bombs have been going higher, and he seems to find the grass more with long kicks.
Now there's some stats I'd love someone to keep track of!

I think Hunt's bombs have been very good. I think it's the one area of his kicking game that he is very good at.

His attacking high bombs land short just before the line.. If only we had 2011 Jack Reed or Izzy contesting for them. Or even Kahu going up for more of them.

Honestly, I don't know why we don't contest the high bombs anymore.. We just stand there and wait for the winger or fullback to get it and tackle them.

Maybe it's what Bennett tells them to do, to avoid knock ons etc and back their defence to keep pressure on them.. But Hunt is putting up some very nice bombs and it would be great if we contested for them more often.

Last edited:
I know kodi has played halfback before but how good at the position do you believe he is? I see him more as a hooker then anything

Well, he isn't an organizer.

He is a running halfback with some ball skills.

He has played 2 games at halfback for the Broncos and he did okay in his first one against the Storm.

I thought he did quite well against Wigan.

But honestly we would just be back to where we started putting Kodi at halfback. We would still lack that organizing halfback that everyone says we need. He is a runner.

I wouldn't get rid of hunt just because he has a bad kicking game compared to other elite halves like Thurston and Cronk. He was guy that gave myself hope and probably others in 2014 that maybe the Broncos are back and then the following year he helps us make the gf. Don't think he would leave as he has been loyal in the past.

Last edited:
The Eels can bugger off. They're not getting Hunt after they already picked up Norman. What are they trying to do, suck us dry?

I can't see Wayne wanting to let Hunt go......we have no viable replacement, our replacement was let go and is now playing for the Titans.

I'm sorry... what? :shocked:

His mid-, long-range kicking is alright, and he has a reliable bomb from 30-40 meters out, but his short kicking game is atrocious in every aspect, be it grubber, cross kick or even bomb. That has always been the case, and has not in anyway improved at all imo.
His decision making on the fifth leaves a lot to be desired (as does Milf's) and we are probably close to the worst team in the NRL at building pressure.

I do agree he is an excellent half as a package. Those comments about struggling clubs being the only ones interested (where did you see those?) are indeed over the top, and I'm sure most teams would love to have him, but more as a pivot than as a halfback.

I have to disagree. I think he's short kicking game in particular, the grubber and short chip, are some of his best attributes. Just think the kick to Maranta to score against the Tigers and the kick for Milford to chase through against the Bulldogs in Sydney for a long range try just show how much vision he has. A lot of Milford's tries close to the line tend to come from Hunt grubbers.

I would say 3/5 grubbers he puts in at the line hit the defenders legs right in front of him. I love the bloke but his kicking is a major detriment to his game.

Supercoach stats have him as forcing 12 dropouts this year, compared to 11 last year.

As a comparison, Thurston topped the count with 26 this year, Widdop had 25. Milford had 13.

Add to this that Hunt would probably take 75% of the kicks, his kick:dropout ratio would be one of the worst in the comp. Pretty sure Hunt has more kicks than most halves, including Thurston. Ash Taylor was tied with Thurston for force dropouts in round 25 I believe as well. And this is his first season and he would take less kicks than hunt also.

Hunt definitely has one of the worst kicking games of the top tier halves. Milford's is not great, but remember Milford is 4 years younger and by far his greatest strength is his running game.

Hunt's bombs all land at the 15-20m line though? You could have someone with a 5 foot vertical leap in the team but they still need to run 15-20m after they catch the ball. Compare his bombs to any premier kicking half like Cronk, Thurston, Adam Reynold and their kicks all land about 1m from the try line.

The majority of the good kicks this season for the broncos have come from Macca for long range, and Milford for at least higher, albeit, inaccurate, bombs.

Another thing which annoys me about Hunts bombs is that they are in such a weird place, basically around where Matt Gillett is. Why not kick it to the wingers or centres instead of to a forward?

Milford and Hunt are too similar of a player to be in the same team I think. Hunt would be amazing for storm, cowboys or Rabbitohs as he could focus on his running game as opposed to structuring the team around and kicking, similar goes to milford. I think they would both be better off if they were a part of a team with a better organiser and kicker. Personally I see far more upside with Milford than I do with Hunt, so if Hunt were to leave, if we were able to find a suitable replacement such as Adam Reynolds, Ash Taylor or any other half who can organise the team I believe we would do even better.

I have to disagree. I think he's short kicking game in particular, the grubber and short chip, are some of his best attributes. Just think the kick to Maranta to score against the Tigers and the kick for Milford to chase through against the Bulldogs in Sydney for a long range try just show how much vision he has. A lot of Milford's tries close to the line tend to come from Hunt grubbers.
I just cannot for the life of me, recognise any of that in Hunt. You're mentioning the exceptions to the rule in those examples, which is that his kick accuracy, especially close to the line, is abysmal.

I've got nothing but respect for you as a poster here, but I wonder if you're not letting wishful thinking get the best of you?
You are genuinely the first person I recall ever praising Hunt's short kicking game...

Alternatively, I am hallucinating and it's me who sees his grubbers mostly hits legs, his cross kicks be too long or too short, his bombs be generally too shallow and land too far from the opposition line to be really dangerous, and the inability to actually kick really tough to catch torpedo bombs. :noidea:

Last edited:
Agree with you 100% Porthoz, his kicking game is not on fleek haha.

Active Now

• TonyTheJugoslav
  • IceWorks
  • Pablo
  • Fozz
  • broncoscope
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Morkel
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.