VOTE Should the club roll the dice on Tevita Pangai Jr again?

Would you like to see Tevita Pangai Jr playing for the Broncos again?

• Total voters
McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Its season ends in june right? Prolly still applies to him
Not if he's served the duration of his NRL contract.

He's not going until next year, right?

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Tpj have a nrl contract atm?
Read what I posted on the last page:

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
So he signed with Souths Logan, I think we are probably on track to get him on a development contract or something mid season by the sounds of things.

No doubt the boxing career shit was total bs he just wanted out of Dogs, but to throw away such a large amount of money sounds stupid asf to me.

I don't think we should touch him tbh, but let's see this season if we need forwards.

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
Read what I posted on the last page:

My problem with the nominal value is that the bulldogs and tevita parted ways because he wasnt bringing the value of a 750k a year player,so how do you decide what he is worth now he doesnt have a contract?
And as far as manu is concerned he should be valued at what offers he has on the table when he leaves league imo if we are going to be fair.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
My problem with the nominal value is that the bulldogs and tevita parted ways because he wasnt bringing the value of a 750k a year player,so how do you decide what he is worth now he doesnt have a contract?
And as far as manu is concerned he should be valued at what offers he has on the table when he leaves league imo if we are going to be fair.

I'm not defending him and suggesting we sign him but there's every chance Tevita was never really happy in Sydney.

Think about it, the good mates he made while he was with us, that would've been gone. He has said he doesn't enjoy the Sydney lifestyle. Who knows, if he works hard and earns a spot in the team, everyone deserves a second chance. He didn't kill anyone.

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
I'm not defending him and suggesting we sign him but there's every chance Tevita was never really happy in Sydney.

Think about it, the good mates he made while he was with us, that would've been gone. He has said he doesn't enjoy the Sydney lifestyle. Who knows, if he works hard and earns a spot in the team, everyone deserves a second chance. He didn't kill anyone.
Aye totally agree im just curious why ppl think they can force him to take more money lol if he wanted to play for min wage surely thats his prerogative.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Do people forget when Folau tried to sign with the eels from Union? The NRL stepped in and said you must pay market value for him despite them saying they would only pay him like 200k for the year. TPJs last contract which was last year will be used as a starting point in determining what his fair value is considering he left mid contract from the Dogs.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Do people forget when Folau tried to sign with the eels from Union? The NRL stepped in and said you must pay market value for him despite them saying they would only pay him like 200k for the year. TPJs last contract which was last year will be used as a starting point in determining what his fair value is considering he left mid contract from the Dogs.

The argument is a pretty easy one. Was he really worth that much? That deal didn't last very long.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
It appears to work like this: if you sign a contract for three years, and seek to break that contract and join another club, the value of that contract continues for the terms of that contract, the full three years.

I'm guessing the reason for that is to dissuade players (eg Payne Haas) signing for unders, trying to break the contract and joining another club for more money. It also cuts the other way. Like a guarantee. If you want to sign a player who's under contract, he has to keep getting the same pay. That's why we had to subsidize players like Lodge.

Tevita and the Bulldogs concocted a bullshit story where they were able justify him "retiring." As far as we were told it was a mutual agreement, the contract was ripped up, and everyone walked away grinning. The NRL doesn't see it that way. Tevita is still tied up for the length of that contract. He made an agreement with them as well. They can't force him to play, but they can force the monetary terms he agreed to. If he wants to "unretire" he plays for the price the Bulldogs put on his head for that term. If anyone else will pay it. No more, no less.

This used to be the case, and players/clubs were held to this. Until the Titans needed to offload overpaid/under-delivering players. We were all supposed to believe that one of their forwards was happy to walk away from a $600k/yr contract (to go back to farming no less). And before we even had time to properly address that, Hayne was allowed to terminate his contract with them (and I would suspect he was being paid a metric fuckton to come back to the NRL via the Titans) but he was able to immediately jump to the Eels on a substantially reduced contract.

So, shockingly, the answer on what rules are followed or enforced by the NRL comes down to the clubs/players involved.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
This used to be the case, and players/clubs were held to this. Until the Titans needed to offload overpaid/under-delivering players. We were all supposed to believe that one of their forwards was happy to walk away from a $600k/yr contract (to go back to farming no less). And before we even had time to properly address that, Hayne was allowed to terminate his contract with them (and I would suspect he was being paid a metric fuckton to come back to the NRL via the Titans) but he was able to immediately jump to the Eels on a substantially reduced contract.

So, shockingly, the answer on what rules are followed or enforced by the NRL comes down to the clubs/players involved.
Farming is an incredibly lucrative business Morkel, I mean why would he plod along for one more year to pick up a measly 600k when he could be getting those millions on the land?

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
The argument is a pretty easy one. Was he really worth that much? That deal didn't last very long.
Still its what a club was paying for him at that time and it was less than 6 months ago he was earning that amount of money. There is absolutely no way the NRL will let any club put him on the books for anything lower than deemed market value. It would open up so many loopholes for other clubs to send players to other sports (like boxing or union) then have them pop up at the back end of the year and pay them pittance for their services.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Still its what a club was paying for him at that time and it was less than 6 months ago he was earning that amount of money. There is absolutely no way the NRL will let any club put him on the books for anything lower than deemed market value. It would open up so many loopholes for other clubs to send players to other sports (like boxing or union) then have them pop up at the back end of the year and pay them pittance for their services.

I mean, he did something similar with us and went to the Panthers on basically minimum wage. You are making out as though the NRL is a competent and consistent organisation when we all laugh about this all the time.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Tevita Pangai Jr:

This is a new me. I’m happy to play for free. Souths have offered me some money but I’d rather it go to other players in the team. It’s great to come back to Souths. I have great memories playing there - one of them was my debut for the club. Wayne came to watch. I had a terrible first half. He grabbed me before I got to the sheds and said I was playing shithouse and to fix up my performance ... we ended up winning the game. I’m happy to come back and play for a can of coke and a chocolate bar. I am at my happiest when I don’t have the stress of thinking how much money I am on. I can just come back to being like a kid that enjoyed his footy. I know people say it’s a business but every time I’ve looked at rugby league in that way, I have let myself down.”​
“I’m serious about boxing. I have a two-fight deal and that’s locked in, but going back to Souths Logan, Karmichael is understanding of that and I’ll be playing as many games as I can in between fights. This is not about money. I want to give back and if I do go back to the NRL, I don’t want to waste anyone’s time. Karmichael was great in our chats. I played a couple games with Karmichael at the Broncos in 2021 and he was already mentoring and helping a lot of us younger players. I love playing rugby league at this level. I’d like to play alongside a young guy like Ben Te Kura and help him along.”​

Karmichael Hunt:

“It’s a great pick up for us. It’s awesome to see Tevita back in rugby league. For him to be back at Souths, where he has played before, it’s a great story for the game and we’re excited to have him on board. Tevita expressed to me how keen he was to come back and play and we’re more than happy to accommodate him once his boxing commitments ease up. A player of his quality is huge at this level. It says a lot about Tevita’s character that he wants to come back at this level and if he has aspirations to make it back to the NRL, you have to start doing the grafting and he is keen to do that at Souths Logan.”​
“We will have Tevita for most of the first half of the season. In saying that, who knows how long Tevita will be with us. Someone of his ability not contracted to an NRL club, it only takes an injury or two for coaches to look for replacements. Tevita is an Origin and Test player, so if he is fit and healthy, who knows who comes knocking for him. For now, he can’t wait to put the Souths Logan jumper back on and I’m happy to support him.”​

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I'm not arguing for or against whatever system the NRL has, or what non-compete clauses clubs build into their contracts, I'm only repeating what Badel wrote. I have no idea whether he's right, but he's not claiming his numbers are literally accurate, only that there's a principle of "notional value" that gets amortized.

Modern player contracts are pages and pages of legalese. As far as I'm aware no one on this board has ever read one, and it's very likely the same goes for a lot of the (non ex-player) journalists, like Badel, who are reporting on them.

For example, the Warriors released Walsh on the proviso he only went to Brisbane, and he didn't get a payrise either.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013

Very different, Israel wanted a four year deal and Eels didn't have the money, so had to try spacing their cap out, paying him $110k then more later, the other clubs said no way and the NRL said no way. Turns out they were both right considering we know the Eels were dodgy as hell a few years later.

It didn't matter anyway, Rugby came in with a huge offer and suddenly Israel didn't want to be an Eel and duded Nolan after promising him he would come.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
I’m happy to come back and play for a can of coke and a chocolate bar. I am at my happiest when I don’t have the stress of thinking how much money I am on. I can just come back to being like a kid that enjoyed his footy.
So were the parents telling him to pursue a carreer in Rugba League ?

I’d like to play alongside a young guy like Ben Te Kura and help him along.”
Young Benny is in for some surprises .

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Tevita Pangai Jr:

This is a new me. I’m happy to play for free. Souths have offered me some money but I’d rather it go to other players in the team. It’s great to come back to Souths. I have great memories playing there - one of them was my debut for the club. Wayne came to watch. I had a terrible first half. He grabbed me before I got to the sheds and said I was playing shithouse and to fix up my performance ... we ended up winning the game. I’m happy to come back and play for a can of coke and a chocolate bar. I am at my happiest when I don’t have the stress of thinking how much money I am on. I can just come back to being like a kid that enjoyed his footy. I know people say it’s a business but every time I’ve looked at rugby league in that way, I have let myself down.”​
“I’m serious about boxing. I have a two-fight deal and that’s locked in, but going back to Souths Logan, Karmichael is understanding of that and I’ll be playing as many games as I can in between fights. This is not about money. I want to give back and if I do go back to the NRL, I don’t want to waste anyone’s time. Karmichael was great in our chats. I played a couple games with Karmichael at the Broncos in 2021 and he was already mentoring and helping a lot of us younger players. I love playing rugby league at this level. I’d like to play alongside a young guy like Ben Te Kura and help him along.”​

Karmichael Hunt:

“It’s a great pick up for us. It’s awesome to see Tevita back in rugby league. For him to be back at Souths, where he has played before, it’s a great story for the game and we’re excited to have him on board. Tevita expressed to me how keen he was to come back and play and we’re more than happy to accommodate him once his boxing commitments ease up. A player of his quality is huge at this level. It says a lot about Tevita’s character that he wants to come back at this level and if he has aspirations to make it back to the NRL, you have to start doing the grafting and he is keen to do that at Souths Logan.”​
“We will have Tevita for most of the first half of the season. In saying that, who knows how long Tevita will be with us. Someone of his ability not contracted to an NRL club, it only takes an injury or two for coaches to look for replacements. Tevita is an Origin and Test player, so if he is fit and healthy, who knows who comes knocking for him. For now, he can’t wait to put the Souths Logan jumper back on and I’m happy to support him.”​
So TPJ's new valuation is a can of coke and chocolate bar... move to Bondi confirmed

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • The Don
  • Sproj
  • broncsgoat
  • Jazza
  • Waynesaurus
  • Broncs1459
  • GCBRONCO
  • Allo
  • FACTHUNT
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Tim K
  • sooticus
  • Lostboy
  • Stix
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.