The Halfway Mark....

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Thoughts on the comp at the halfway point....

Biggest Surprise as a Team - Dragons and Canberra. Broncos to a point, I expected a far better side but to be equal first at this stage....

Biggest Disappointment as a Team - Manly. Not disappointed on a personal level might I add :laugh: Also Souths. Sure, there's the GF hangover but jeez they've been average.

Most Disappointing Player: Blair

Most Improved Player: Marshal, easily.

Best Buy - Blake Austin. Obviously taking into account price tag. Jake Granville right up there as well.

Worst Buy - Ben Barba and Watmong

Some Predictions

Who will win the comp - The Cowboys

Other Premiership Chances - Roosters, Storm, Broncos, Souths or Dragons
Spoon? Newcastle Knights

Rookie of the Year - Jack Bird/SioSiua Taukeiaho

Dally M Winner - Thurston

Last edited:
I think you nailed it Harry, not much there I disagree with.

Yes, spot on with most stuff Harry.

As I said in the Bennett thread originally, anything less than a Top 4 spot wouldn't be a success, and to Wayne's credit, he's surpassing my (and I think most of ours) expectations with this team.

At this point, we look like contenders, but we still have to go through the traditional struggle post-Origin... how we emerge and perform towards the end of the regular season, when we face most of the comp's heavy weights, will give us an indication of where we really are.

Dragons are very surprising for mine, and are doing an excellent, almost miraculous job, given their squad's depth and quality.

Manly, Souffs and Sharks are in decreasing order, the disappointments, and it brings such a huge smile to my face. :takdir:

In individual terms...

Best buy is Milford for mine, although Austin is certainly in contention.
Worst buy, definitely Barba and Watamong... can't believe how deep both sunk.

Rookies, same as you said... Jack and Siosiua are miles ahead of anyone.

Comp favs: Cowboys, Chooks, Storm and us... I don't think the Dragons are equipped to make it all the way to September.

My best buy is Binjay Marshall bro....also my pick for Dally M. Most surprising team, definitely the Saints. Most surprising halfway result is the Broncos on top. Jack Bird top rookie. Blazing star award for Austin, seems to have that extra 10% that you wished Dave Taylor could have had ! ( when with us ) Favourites for the title has to be both Cows and Rorters.

I think the Grand Final will be between us and the Dragons, Cowboys don't have the team to win it and will choke in the finals. Final four will be Us, Dragons, Storm, Roosters.

I predicted a Bulldogs premiership before this season started, and whilst they're sitting pretty poorly on the ladder at the moment I'm going to stick with them (For some unknown reason to myself..)

I just think they have so much class when fully healthy, especially with BMoz at Fullback and Mbye in the Halves, with Reynolds as a utility off the bench bringing some X-Factor.. if Hodkinson stops playing and goal kicking like a potato they're going to be there in September.

Biggest Surprise as a Team - Well I'm not really surprised the Broncos are where they are so the Dragons

Biggest Disappointment as a Team - Panthers I guess. Supposed to be on the up and up but they just aren't. It's not possible for me to be disappointed with where Manly is sitting

Best Buy - Austin or Milford. I think Milford because he has actually made a difference to to where we sit on the ladder whilst the Raiders are still languishing outside the 8.

Worst Buy - Martin Kennedy for the Roosters. Even Adam Blair and Barba have done more than him. Thanks for that

Who will win the comp - Broncos

Other Premiership Chances - Cowboys or Storm

Spoon? Tigers or Sharks

Rookie of the Year -Jack Bird had one good game and has done nothing since. It should be one of the Kiwi fellas whose name I've forgotten

Dally M Winner - Thurston

Rookie of the Year -Jack Bird had one good game and has done nothing since. It should be one of the Kiwi fellas whose name I've forgotten

Solomone Kata?

Josh Hodgson > Blake Austin.

@Harry Sack how about Most Improved and Most Disappointing Players? Who are your picks?

Most Disappointing: Gotta be Blair for me. I thought/hoped he'd add more to the team. He still has time to change my mind but very disappointing so far.

Most Improved: Marshal. Hands down.

...and I have no idea how I forgot Granville as one of the buys of the season!!!

Austin is one of the best players in open field play but somebody has to set the table up for him.

Enter Josh Hodgson who is getting the Raiders on the front foot, winning the ruck for his side and is making a huge difference for his side.

The media will have folks believe it's all Austin because he's the player running through gaps and scoring tries but it's Hodgson's work with the forwards and backs that's making it happen.

In saying that, if it's a prediction I believe it will come down to the likes of Milford, Granville, Morris & Ferguson. Possibly Green too by virtue of not being as erratic as Roberts and Hampton.

Austin is getting all the accolades at the moment, but for some reason I don't see greatness in him. He reminds me me a lot of a guy I played footy with.
When clubs plan for his show and go what will he do then. He has the look of a front runner to me. I do see the irony of that statement on that he plays for the raiders.

Austin is getting all the accolades at the moment, but for some reason I don't see greatness in him. He reminds me me a lot of a guy I played footy with.
When clubs plan for his show and go what will he do then. He has the look of a front runner to me. I do see the irony of that statement on that he plays for the raiders.

You mean like when they played us? He'll bitch to the refs of course.

Against better coached opposition and not playing for an "ambush" club like the Raiders, he is not as effective.

Flip side, I would like to see him in a quality squad (Penrith -> Tigers -> Raiders). To mine, he would be a better version of Josh Reynolds.

Against better coached opposition and not playing for an "ambush" club like the Raiders, he is not as effective.

Flip side, I would like to see him in a quality squad (Penrith -> Tigers -> Raiders). To mine, he would be a better version of Josh Reynolds.

It's interesting that you say this because to me he is Josh Reynolds, and I can see his career going the same way as Reynolds.

Remember when Reynolds came on the scene and everyone praised him for his running game, and his energy and he was being talked up for origin straight away... sound familiar?

I don't think it will be too long before Austin gets frustrated by how low his ceiling is and that 'energy' turns to brain explosions and inappropriate aggression

It's interesting that you say this because to me he is Josh Reynolds, and I can see his career going the same way as Reynolds.

Remember when Reynolds came on the scene and everyone praised him for his running game, and his energy and he was being talked up for origin straight away... sound familiar?

I don't think it will be too long before Austin gets frustrated by how low his ceiling is and that 'energy' turns to brain explosions and inappropriate aggression

And even worse haircuts and facial hair.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Skathen
  • ChewThePhatt
  • winslow_wong
  • Organix
  • Totally Unr3al
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Allo
  • bb_gun
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.