The Halfway Mark....

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Funny how people see things, invisible things and amazing abilities to foresee the future. I like the way he plays and he may just get better and better. Comparing him to Reynolds amazes me, I've never seen him trip anyone !

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Funny how people see things, invisible things and amazing abilities to foresee the future. I like the way he plays and he may just get better and better. Comparing him to Reynolds amazes me, I've never seen him trip anyone !

Care to explain how they are invisible things? They play very similar and Austin in a very short time has started to change from a competitive nice guy to abusing refs... it's not a long bow to draw.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Care to explain how they are invisible things? They play very similar and Austin in a very short time has started to change from a competitive nice guy to abusing refs... it's not a long bow to draw.

especially when you see who his coach is.

all Austin would see after losses is Stuart either letting rip at the refs all, walking out of press conferences so he doesn't let rip at refs.

eventually, that would rub off on players. after all you know what they say ... "monkey see, monkey do"

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Manly Sea Eagles - It's been a horror season with very few redeeming qualities. Everything that could go wrong has and it seems like their season has bottomed out already. Have a chance to finish the season off on the right now with a fairly comfortable run home but they'll have to play a lot better as a team. I liked what I've seen from the Trbojevic brothers and think Leary has been a real underrated buy for them.

Parramatta Eels - Was always going to be tough minus Hayne and unfortunately keep enduring setback after setback. Even so, I believe a lot of their issues when push comes to shove has to do with Sandow and they've got to move him on if they're ever going to remain a consistent force. I didn't have any doubt about that, but I thought if the Eels were to challenge it'd be on the back of players like Hoppa and Watmough but unfortunately both have been fairly disappointing in 2015.

Newcastle Knights - Really surprised a lot of people with their early season forward but fell back down to earth in a big way. It's been the same old story as last year for the Knights. They do some things as well as any other team in the competition and they can make ground hand over fist but they'll let themselves down with one play and suddenly they're all behind the goal-posts giving each other dirty looks. There's no confidence there and nobody stepping up and making a statement. Gagai and Uate have had their moments but beyond that, pretty dire.

Wests Tigers - After last season, it seemed as if the only way was up but they're facing the reality of playing inexperienced players who aren't used to the physicality and psychological strength necessary for first grade. Plenty of talent there, but lacking the experience and starch necessary to give their creative players the shine they need. Tedesco continues to impress, Taupau has been explosive & Woods is growing but there just isn't enough consistensy there.

Cronulla - I had them down as a smokey for the Top 8 based on a few signings going their way but they've been going about as good as expected. The problem with the Sharks is their lack of discipline and control. There is a good team there and they've shown that on occasion but there's no consistensy either and the Barba experiment has failed. Fortunately they've got two of the best young prospects in the team in Holmes and Bird which is generating some wins and if they can keep investing in them, I believe they could do something.

Gold Coast - A horror season, yet given everything they've handled it quite well. Clearly they're lacking in areas but Henry is building a decent team around some talented players like Roberts, James, Elgey and Moseley. I don't think they'll do anything this year and DCE may have just sunk their 2016 but if they keep building they could be a force in 2017.

Penrith - Injuries have really screwed them over in the worst way and it's sad to see as a League fan because their early form was so promising. It's been cool to see a lot of their younger players emerge like the Jennings brothers and Campbell-Gillard who is another contender for rookie of the year but they're lacking in so many areas and just cannot build any combinations. It's going to be a real test for Cleary just to get them into the Top 8, but I think their chance for a premiership are over and they'll have to wait until Merrin arrives.

Bulldogs - That Round 5 clash against Souths had huge reprecussions on the competition and the Dogs were one of the biggest victims. Ever since then, they've been struggling to name their best 17 and haven't been able to build any consistensy. I think the mark of any great halves pairing is the ability to be good over an extended period and after a good 2014, Reynolds/Hodkinson haven't been good enough to carry the side. There's even an argument that it isn't the best halves pairing at the Dogs. I still think they'll be one of the major players come finals time but they've got to cross their fingers and hope they can keep their best 17 on the field. While the halves have left a bit to be desired, I've liked what I've seen from Rona, Pritchard, Mbye & Klemmer. If Lichaa & Mbye can find some consistensy and they can get their best 17 on the park, they'll be awfully hard to beat come the semis.

Warriors - Another team who's premiership hopes seem to be on stand-by. After a promising start to his coaching career, McFadden hasn't done a lot to really inspire any confidence and while he's had to make do without Tomkins, when you've got some of the other talent available, it doesn't say a lot about your ability when you're as hot and cold as you are. The Warriors just seem to lack direction and have too many brain fades at crucial times. Emergence of Kata has been a big positive for them, otherwise their quest for a premiership is on halt until Luke and RTS arrive.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Good summation Pete. I forgot to ask you to answer your own question....

Most Improved Player:

Most Disappointing Player:

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Most Improved - Benji Marshall.

Most Disappointing - Kieran Foran

Benji has really matured into a quality player this season and while he's cut down on the flash, some of his play just oozes class. If he can make an impression come finals time, he may go down as the greatest five eighth in NZ history if he isn't there already.

Then there's Foran, the guy keeping Benji out of the NZ National side and he has been very poor this season. It appears as if he's checked out for the season and is just waiting to hang out with Watmough and Hoppa at Parra. It's shocking because I thought between DCE and him, Foran would be the more professional player but he's been very insipid and if I was an Eels fan, I'd be hoping that it's a once off because he's shaping up to be a bigger bust than the DCE signing.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I reckon Barba is the most disappointing. You can now almost officially rule him out of ever living up to his previous heights again. And he's on a fucktruck of money to boot.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Compared to 2012, sure but the drop hasn't been as severe as Foran's from 2014 where he was arguably the best five-eighth in the game.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Not the most improved but on my opinion Corey Norman has played some great footy this year. He has thrown some very classy passes and has shown a lot of potential with some of his kicking game.

He plays a lot better when Sandow isn't around and really steps up when placed in a lead play maker role. I look forward to seeing him next to a more structured halves partner.

How parra chooses their 7 and 6 next year will be interesting.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
Still cant get over how good the Dragons are going, there's been a lot of parallels with us over the last couple of years - both coming off a good 2011, followed by three years of rubbish under rubbish coaches.

The only difference is we were expected to do better under Bennett, no one rated McGregor or the team they had at the start of the season. We get pummeled by Souths and they lose their first two games only managing four points a piece, both teams go on a 5/6 game winning streak to set the foundation for the season.

I'd have McGregor as coach of the year ahead of Green purely because he was pressured to the point where the only result was to produce a diamond.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Cronulla's big problem is their refusal to put Holmes at fullback. They look by far a better team with him at the back and Gordon on the wing. They dearly miss a strike centre too. They will be banking on Bird next moving to the centres so Townsend/Maloney can play in the halves to fix this next year.
As for Barba, stick a fork in him because he is done. He will **** up soon and shift off to super league and then fade away into bush footy once he ***** up in England.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Lostboy
  • broncsgoat
  • Skathen
  • broncos4life
  • peter09
  • The True King
  • Broncorob
  • davidp
  • Jazza
  • Justwin
  • mrslong
  • Browny
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.