7pm — Saturday February 26: Rabbitohs vs Dragons
5.45pm — Sunday February 27: Storm vs Knights
7pm — Monday February 28: Sharks vs Bulldogs

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Early when he was passing the ball he looked slick .
Later when he just ran he was still effective . I would like to see him run with the half or full back in support . Then things could get real interesting .
Kobe was excellent and I'd be happy for him to get the lock role, primarily because it allows Patty to play in the props.

I'm not sure if Kobe can play out 80mins just yet though, so I think Carrigan probably still starts at lock each game, with Kobe subbed on at the 20-30min mark to play out the rest of the game at lock.

It could also depend how the change in rules plays out this year. Last night we were penalised to death inside our own half, if that becomes the norm then last year's grind it out arm wrestle play between the 20m's could be gone and the stop start football inside the 20m's comes back.

If the game reverts to the stop start play from before the 6 agains, it could bring back the 80min middle forward... which was generally phased out last year, because they couldn't keep up with the play for 80mins.

If that happens I could definitely see Kobe being our 80mins lock and Carrigan permanently moved into the props.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I would have done what Kevvie has done to see who swims under the pressure because pressure is what the NRL is all about. So far Nam and Walters have stood up under the microscope, Gamble and Kelly haven’t.
It is, but being a half is also about having confidence, building combinations, and accepting that errors are part of the job description. We aren’t selecting origin halves - we are in a position where we need to find the best stop gap out of fairly average options and squeeze the most out of their limited ability. I don’t think you do that by adding pressure, you do it by giving them confidence and backing them.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Unpopular opinion but I think Pereira and Brenko deserve to be in the team on the back of trial performances. Not sure what’s going on with Herbie and why he isn’t playing, but I’d say pereira and Brenko have out performed Cobbo, Oates, Mead and Isaako comfortably.

Pereira does for sure, every carry last night had a bit of purpose about it.

Isaako is basically depth at this point, he has all sorts of trouble coming up with the right play when a decision is required.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
The nepotism thing isn't an issue, no one is going to make a fuss about it. It'll be a good story if anything.

Walters looks like the best option. Maybe (hopefully) Reynolds is good enough to carry Mam so we can run with Walters/Paix at 9, but I doubt it at this stage.

It was an issue, then we all watched him play, now it's almost the shared belief he is the best man for job.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Please feel free to point out where I’m wrong rather than paraphrasing and a sarcastic righto. I’m definitely happy to have my view changed.

Dearden was playing good footy after he had a few weeks in the cows system. Gamble and Kelly looked like Croft - forcing plays that weren’t on, making unforced errors, playing without confidence. Commotion for spots is one thing but imagine going to work everyday after having a caretaker role in a higher position and then everyday you go to work the boss is saying “this job is up for grabs, it could be anyones”. Everyone at the work site is talking about it and you know each error you make could see you miss out. I don’t think that’s healthy competition.
if players can't handle competition then they should not be professional players, it's part in parcel. if you don't perform in your job you'll get replaced simple.
as for indivdual players performing badly being the coaches fault , that's just laughable especially in a trial.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
if players can't handle competition then they should not be professional players, it's part in parcel. if you don't perform in your job you'll get replaced simple.
as for indivdual players performing badly being the coaches fault , that's just laughable especially in a trial.

Thats one way to look at it I guess. I think the team being down on confidence and having no stability probably could’ve benefited from pick and stick but I do understand it wasn’t that simple.

I don’t think it’s laughable. It’s not Kev’s fault Kelly dropped it cold for example but he does hold some responsibility for there being no attacking structure what so ever. Sure Reynolds is going to fix a lot of that but you’d hope the systems are in place by now so that it isn’t reliant on 1 player being available.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Thats one way to look at it I guess. I think the team being down on confidence and having no stability probably could’ve benefited from pick and stick but I do understand it wasn’t that simple.

I don’t think it’s laughable. It’s not Kev’s fault Kelly dropped it cold for example but he does hold some responsibility for there being no attacking structure what so ever. Sure Reynolds is going to fix a lot of that but you’d hope the systems are in place by now so that it isn’t reliant on 1 player being available.
we had decent structure last week and Kevvie can only tell players so many times , and as soon as they get on feild he has minimal control on what happens.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
we had decent structure last week and Kevvie can only tell players so many times , and as soon as they get on feild he has minimal control on what happens.
I don’t think our structures were great last week to be honest. But I agree that Reynolds will fix much of that.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Some of these players were nailed on starters last week and now some of the same players are out on their ears. It will all change again next week. Trial are so difficult to gauge players until you put out something close to your best side. We still probably wont find out anything definitive until about 3 or 4 games into the season.

NSW stables

NSW stables

NRL Player
May 3, 2019
If kevie has Turpin locked in at 9 (for at least the beginning of the season). I think paix has to be 14, but I would like him to play longer minutes because he is wasted if he only plays 20 mins

A way I would consider playing them would be to have turpin start at 9, and hetherington at 13. Their defence can take the initial intensity of the game. After about 25-30 mins when kobe is due for a break, you could bring on paix and move him into 9, and turpin move back into 13. Despite being smaller turpin is still one of our stronger defenders and could keep the ruck tight. Having played halfback a couple years back, he could also play that ball playing 13 role effectively.

When turpin tires (maybe about 60 minutes mark), hetherington comes back on at 13.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
If kevie has Turpin locked in at 9 (for at least the beginning of the season). I think paix has to be 14, but I would like him to play longer minutes because he is wasted if he only plays 20 mins

A way I would consider playing them would be to have turpin start at 9, and hetherington at 13. Their defence can take the initial intensity of the game. After about 25-30 mins when kobe is due for a break, you could bring on paix and move him into 9, and turpin move back into 13. Despite being smaller turpin is still one of our stronger defenders and could keep the ruck tight. Having played halfback a couple years back, he could also play that ball playing 13 role effectively.

When turpin tires (maybe about 60 minutes mark), hetherington comes back on at 13.

I like it and not because I like Turpin, I don’t and have been critical of him for a long time but what I do like is the with Turpin and Reynolds, you have some sort of NRL experience there but certainly Turpin is a stop gap until Paix is consistent at this level. If you go with this, I guess you have to put Walters at 6 until Paix takes over Turpin and Walters can go to 14 with Mam in to 6.

I don’t envy this situation for Kevvie.

W

WASSHHH

Aug 24, 2017
What exactly did he do wrong last night? I mean, which plays, when? Buggered if I could see much except for one mistimed pass. I need to see exactly what you're talking about, you may have a point or whatever but I do need to be able to see it.
Aside from what others have already said; I really enjoyed the play where he had 2 players unmarked outside of him and chose to come back in field himself and killed the play.

Reminded me of that time ages and ages ago when he did the exact same thing. Oh no wait, that was last week against a reserve grade Seagulls.

But hey, at least he didn’t sail a kickoff out on the full last night, so there’s that.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Turpin wont be here after 2022 unless he has an absolutely stand out year. He's never been as good as some people have made him out to be. Just like Gamble, he has endeared himself to the fans with effort and enthusiasm. Once that wears off you can see the limitations in their games. You can get away with players of their types maybe in the centers, wing or even in the forwards, but not in spine positions.

W

WASSHHH

Aug 24, 2017
Brenko has to be there. If we've learned anything from the last 2 years it's defence wins game and our defence sucks. We need someone like Brenko for his maturity and defence. Niu can stew in reserves for all I care.

1. Herbie
2. Pereira
3. Brenko
4. Staggs
5. Cobbo
6. Walters
7. Reno
9. Paix

Oates can also spend the year as injury depth then find a new club where he puts effort in before it's contract year.
Based on trials thus far, 100% agree this should be our backline, even after Niu is fit.

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Waynesaurus
  • lakers133334
  • Jazza
  • Bucking Beads
  • kman
  • Xzei
  • Justwin
  • Dash
  • GCBRONCO
  • Huge
  • Foordy
  • RolledOates
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.