Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Best of both worlds: Move to halves in an injury pinch

Votes: 8 16.0%

• Total voters
I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Alright, it's the middle of the off season, I'm tired after a long day at work and I'm ready to start an argument lol Lets democracy this shit.

I am EASILY in the "Fullback forever" camp, because Walsh right now is reminding me so much of a young Slater, and if that track continues, then in the number 1 he stays because he will be a gun.......but we do have the post Reynolds future staring us in the face, and with nobody but Madden on the radar to replace him, the discussion is one worth having, because Walsh has displayed that he has some serious playmaking and leadership chops on him, and a decent kicking game to boot.

With the club currently stacked with more outside backs than we know what to do with, Walsh to 7 after Reyno retires has the potential to kill two birds with one stone. Keeping Tristan Sailor around would have been swell for this reason but the door hasn't completely shut on him either unless another NRL club comes with a fat cheque to lure him back from England.

Alright, it's the middle of the off season, I'm tired after a long day at work and I'm ready to start an argument lol Lets democracy this shit.

I am EASILY in the "Fullback forever" camp, because Walsh right now is reminding me so much of a young Slater, and if that track continues, then in the number 1 he stays because he will be a gun.......but we do have the post Reynolds future staring us in the face, and with nobody but Madden on the radar to replace him, the discussion is one worth having, because Walsh has displayed that he has some serious playmaking and leadership chops on him, and a decent kicking game to boot.

With the club currently stacked with more outside backs than we know what to do with, Walsh to 7 after Reyno retires has the potential to kill two birds with one stone. Keeping Tristan Sailor around would have been swell for this reason but the door hasn't completely shut on him either unless another NRL club comes with a fat cheque to lure him back from England.

Gives me Ponga vibes. Why ruin a good thing.

Fuckin, Wayne Bennett moves a really good fullback to the halves, and it worked.

Now every coach gives it a go like it's just the normal thing to do, hoping the next Lockyer has been I. Their squad the whole time.

Fullback. He's a fullback. Don't **** his development by moving him in the hopenyou can pull off the near impossible again.

I would potentially move him much later in his career if he ever slows down and works with the current team makeup.

Otherwise I agree, keeping him at fullback for the entirety of his career would be the ideal situation.

What I would potentially look at if we get desperate is a bit of an out of the box idea.

9. Mozer/Walters
7. Mam
6. Cobbo
1. Walsh

Walsh and Cobbo swap roles in attack. This allows Walsh to avoid being targeted in the line and he doesn’t need to bulk up for defensive robustness. Then you have a massive body in Cobbo defending at five eight where most teams have a smaller guy which gives us a defensive advantage.

In attack Cobbo has the potential to be a Tom Trbo type fullback sniffing around the ruck and drawing defenders.

But ideally we just get a good 7 and don’t shift anyone.

............But ideally we just get a good 7 and don’t shift anyone.
Jason Sudeikis Yes GIF by Apple TV+

This is off on a tangent, I know, but for argument's sake, would Lockyer even have moved to #6 if Karmichael Hunt didn't come along? I can't recall what the #6 and #7 stocks were like. Brett Seymour was halfback IIRC but he could have moved to 6, or Berrigan could have filled in like he had in the past.

But it was a massive sliding doors moment not just for the Broncos, but for the NRL itself, as the move has been attempted numerous times with limited success, especially when it comes to excellent / elite fullbacks. Munster would be one one of the better ones, Hayne was okay (but still a much better fullback), but Ponga has so far been a bust. And here we are again looking at an elite fullback with a slick passing game (and more importantly, play selection), proposing a move to halfback (which is more about field position and composure). Where, had the Broncos not attempted it literally 20 years ago, we may not even be thinking of it.

Initially I voted to move to the halves - but thinking about it I'd play him there if we had injuries and see how he went. IMO, his future will eventually be in the halves. He's got all the skills to play there now, just doesn't have the temperament at this stage. I think he will get there though. I've said in the past he reminds me a bit of JT - just his desire to win and his confidence.

IMO, it is easier to get a good fullback than it is to get a good half. Compare the halves and the fullbacks in the NRL - the list gets a bit shit with halves after the first few.

How could you put him anywhere else. Every game, every season he's getting better by being able to specialize.

Playmaking Fullback is his best role, but if he loses speed from injury or age in the future he goes straight to Halfback.

I don't think moving him from fullback is a good move at all if he still has speed, Fullback is the most crucial position in the game imo, having an elite fullback is more important than an elite halfback assuming the opposite is average.

He isn't a 6 if he ever plays in the halves, unless we do what we did with Lockyer as essentially a False 7, because Lockyer was our main halfback even though he had a 6 on his jersey the entire time he was there.

He's a fullback. I dont see anything in his game that makes me think he can play 7. He's just not controlled enough to replace a player like Reynolds. Of course, that could change but right now he doesnt have the calmness and composure to steer a team around.

If he switches to the halves, its as a running 6 and we already have that in Mam.

This is off on a tangent, I know, but for argument's sake, would Lockyer even have moved to #6 if Karmichael Hunt didn't come along? I can't recall what the #6 and #7 stocks were like. Brett Seymour was halfback IIRC but he could have moved to 6, or Berrigan could have filled in like he had in the past.

But it was a massive sliding doors moment not just for the Broncos, but for the NRL itself, as the move has been attempted numerous times with limited success, especially when it comes to excellent / elite fullbacks. Munster would be one one of the better ones, Hayne was okay (but still a much better fullback), but Ponga has so far been a bust. And here we are again looking at an elite fullback with a slick passing game (and more importantly, play selection), proposing a move to halfback (which is more about field position and composure). Where, had the Broncos not attempted it literally 20 years ago, we may not even be thinking of it.
Dare I add Milford to the list

RE Milford - Certainly strongly argued against early on.....

Leave Reece where he is and let him develop without the undue pressure of being a "play maker"
......if he's to eventually be a 6
it will come.

RE Milford - Certainly strongly argued against early on.....

Leave Reece where he is and let him develop without the undue pressure of being a "play maker"
......if he's to eventually be a 6
it will come.

Milf was always viewed as a "hope" but rarely hit the heights of his talents or potential.

Walsh has 5-7 years of freedom to be a FB, in his style as the game moves. The strategy is to place people around him.

Active Now

• Santa
  • Ras
  • Tim K
  • Swordfish
  • Culhwch
  • Justwin
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Big Del
  • Brocko
  • Financeguy
  • Redux
  • Organix
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.