Walsh to halfback or career fullback?

• Fullback forever

Votes: 42 84.0%
  • Move to Halfback

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Best of both worlds: Move to halves in an injury pinch

Votes: 8 16.0%

• Total voters
Nah Moylan was nothing more than serviceable as a six.

The others though yep, all legit calls:
- Lockyer
- Munster
- Inglis (he won a premiership at 6)
- Hughes
- Hynes
- Wighton

Hmmm...most of them come from one team?

It's possible and heavily dependent on the coaching staff and their existing skills, Walsh has good fundamental skills that are required to be a half that most Fullbacks don't because they are more of an outside back running style fullback.

The player that defies all logic is definitely Hughes though because he was a running fullback converted into a 7.

Nah Moylan was nothing more than serviceable as a six.

The others though yep, all legit calls:
- Lockyer
- Munster
- Inglis (he won a premiership at 6)
- Hughes
- Hynes
- Wighton

Hmmm...most of them come from one team?
You forgot Hoffman, Barba, Milford….alright I’ll stop

Origin will be tricky for selectors this year.

If we're looking like GF contenders again, or even improved from last season, I would want to squeeze Walsh, Mam and Ponga into my squad. Which becomes even more interesting if DCE retires (as expected).

As it stands - on RECENT FORM ONLY - I would be inclined to prefer those three over Munster, who might otherwise have first dibs on the captaincy. Next in line is Patty.

This could only happen if Ponga or Walsh move into the halves. For Walsh, that has to be a near impossibility unless he's been at least trialled there. And Ponga was deemed a failure there, though I question that somewhat. To fit all three in, one has to play 7, with Ezra at 6.

While on that note, Hunt - also not in great recent form - is more likely to get first crack at the halfback vacancy, moving Grant to 9 and leaving a vacancy at 14. If our 2023 trajectory continues, Billy "the good son" Walters will surely enter the conversation.

COR BLIMEY.

If we're looking like GF contenders again, or even improved from last season, I would want to squeeze Walsh, Mam and Ponga into my squad. Which becomes even more interesting if DCE retires (as expected).

As it stands - on RECENT FORM ONLY - I would be inclined to prefer those three over Munster, who might otherwise have first dibs on the captaincy. Next in line is Patty.

This could only happen if Ponga or Walsh move into the halves. For Walsh, that has to be a near impossibility unless he's been at least trialled there. And Ponga was deemed a failure there, though I question that somewhat. To fit all three in, one has to play 7, with Ezra at 6.

While on that note, Hunt - also not in great recent form - is more likely to get first crack at the halfback vacancy, moving Grant to 9 and leaving a vacancy at 14. If our 2023 trajectory continues, Billy "the good son" Walters will surely enter the conversation.

COR BLIMEY.
Yeah it’s not like Munster has been poor recently he just hasn’t been to his same usual self. He has another year and a half of this before you’d consider that. I think this will happen.

1. Reece Walsh
2. Selwyn Cobbo
3. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
4. Valentine Holmes
5. Murray Taulagi
6. Cameron Munster
7. Daly Cherry-Evans/Ben Hunt
8. Tino Fa’asuamaleaui
9. Harry Grant
10. Lindsay Collins
11. Jeremiah Nanai
12. David Fifita
13. Pat Carrigan
14. Reuben Cotter
15. Tom Gilbert
16. Moeaki Fotuaiaka
17. Kalyn Ponga

That’s the only way you are getting KP in there but in my opinion DCE will play this year still and I don’t think Hunt is worth dropping to get KP/Walsh to play 20 minutes out of position rather than have a highly successful and well functioning hooker rotation in Grant and Hunt.

COR BLIMEY.
We've won the last two back to back and Billy has introduced a lot of youth so they're already starting to get some experience in the legs.

I think for at least game 1 he won't be changing too much, unless some of the incumbents are injured or have absolutely shit the bed... or make themselves unavailable.

Not sure DCE will be looking to retire whilst he is captain and also looking for a three-peat... could see him dropping out if we lose game 1 or the series and he might get the tap on the shoulder that Billy wants to introduce some more changing of the guard, but at that point Dearden is the next inline in my mind.... or Bhunt comes into 7 and Dearden into the utility role on the bench

I think he might go for Ponga over Walsh as well... we don't know if Ponga comes straight into game 1 or 2 over Walsh in this year's series because he was unavailable, but he was the incumbent previously and has always stepped up when required to play for Qld. I think defence is also an extremely important aspect to Billy when it comes to fullbacks and he has been critical of Walsh in that regard. If Walsh's defensive game increases dramatically then he might jump Ponga straight away, but that would be great news for Broncos as well.

I can see one of Walsh or Mam being 18th man in competition with Dearden though. The inclusion of Mam in the extended squad will definitely be coming to start integrating him into the setup.

Overall we may not be that impacted by Origin for at least game 1 where I think incumbents will keep their spots, but we might get impacted for game 2 or 3 if the series is lost and Billy wants to start the changing of the guard... and if that's the case then I think Dearden is next man up for either DCE or Bhunt.

1. Ponga
2. Coates (incumbent over Cobbo and was good in origin this year... Cobbo needs to step up to get that spot back)
3. Hammer
4. Val
5. Taulagi
6. Munster (think he's got a few more series in him and would assist with any transition to a younger spine)
7. DCE
8. Tino
9. Harry/Bhunt
10. Collins
11. Fifita
12. Nanai
13. Patty

14. Bhunt/Harry
15. Mo
16. Gilbert
17. Cotter

18. Dearden/Walsh/Mam (in that order)

Yeah it’s not like Munster has been poor recently he just hasn’t been to his same usual self. He has another year and a half of this before you’d consider that. I think this will happen.

1. Reece Walsh
2. Selwyn Cobbo
3. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
4. Valentine Holmes
5. Murray Taulagi
6. Cameron Munster
7. Daly Cherry-Evans/Ben Hunt
8. Tino Fa’asuamaleaui
9. Harry Grant
10. Lindsay Collins
11. Jeremiah Nanai
12. David Fifita
13. Pat Carrigan
14. Reuben Cotter
15. Tom Gilbert
16. Moeaki Fotuaiaka
17. Kalyn Ponga

That’s the only way you are getting KP in there but in my opinion DCE will play this year still and I don’t think Hunt is worth dropping to get KP/Walsh to play 20 minutes out of position rather than have a highly successful and well functioning hooker rotation in Grant and Hunt.
I
We've won the last two back to back and Billy has introduced a lot of youth so they're already starting to get some experience in the legs.

I think for at least game 1 he won't be changing too much, unless some of the incumbents are injured or have absolutely shit the bed... or make themselves unavailable.

Not sure DCE will be looking to retire whilst he is captain and also looking for a three-peat... could see him dropping out if we lose game 1 or the series and he might get the tap on the shoulder that Billy wants to introduce some more changing of the guard, but at that point Dearden is the next inline in my mind.... or Bhunt comes into 7 and Dearden into the utility role on the bench

I think he might go for Ponga over Walsh as well... we don't know if Ponga comes straight into game 1 or 2 over Walsh in this year's series because he was unavailable, but he was the incumbent previously and has always stepped up when required to play for Qld. I think defence is also an extremely important aspect to Billy when it comes to fullbacks and he has been critical of Walsh in that regard. If Walsh's defensive game increases dramatically then he might jump Ponga straight away, but that would be great news for Broncos as well.

I can see one of Walsh or Mam being 18th man in competition with Dearden though. The inclusion of Mam in the extended squad will definitely be coming to start integrating him into the setup.

Overall we may not be that impacted by Origin for at least game 1 where I think incumbents will keep their spots, but we might get impacted for game 2 or 3 if the series is lost and Billy wants to start the changing of the guard... and if that's the case then I think Dearden is next man up for either DCE or Bhunt.

1. Ponga
2. Coates (incumbent over Cobbo and was good in origin this year... Cobbo needs to step up to get that spot back)
3. Hammer
4. Val
5. Taulagi
6. Munster (think he's got a few more series in him and would assist with any transition to a younger spine)
7. DCE
8. Tino
9. Harry/Bhunt
10. Collins
11. Fifita
12. Nanai
13. Patty

14. Bhunt/Harry
15. Mo
16. Gilbert
17. Cotter

Forgot all about Dearden. Yes, you're right: he has to have a foot in the door.

If it is about incumbency for the perking order for positions then walsh is the incumbent fullback and should be there game 1 imo ponga needs to be playing out of his skin for his club to be a chance of winning his jersey back

1. Ponga
3. Hammer
4. Val
5. Taulagi
7. DCE
8. Tino
9. Harry/Bhunt
10. Collins
11. Fifita
12. Nanai
13. Patty

14. Bhunt/Harry
15. Mo
16. Gilbert
17. Cotter

Walsh played off the bench for Queensland in 2019 and did a really good job, he was too fast late in the game and backed up the middle scoring a try.

Problem can be like a Bowen situation where too much is expected, and he gets eight minutes at the end to score three tries from dummy half.

But Slater is such a planner and thought-provoking coach that I would back him to come up with a good plan.

Imagine being a gassed Blue forward and Walsh coming on for 20 minutes.

Walsh played off the bench for Queensland in 2019 and did a really good job, he was too fast late in the game and backed up the middle scoring a try.

Problem can be like a Bowen situation where too much is expected, and he gets eight minutes at the end to score three tries from dummy half.

But Slater is such a planner and thought-provoking coach that I would back him to come up with a good plan.

Imagine being a gassed Blue forward and Walsh coming on for 20 minutes.
I could definitely see him being blooded via the bench... as that is the typical approach that Qld have gone with when bringing through spine players (Khunt, Cronk, Ponga, Bhunt, etc.); however the defensive side would need to be thoroughly thought out to ensure he doesn't become a liability out there.

If they can get it to work defensively, whilst having Ponga on the field then they would have two of the most dangerous attacking players in the comp on the field at the same time and being able to pop up with the rest of the spine... the big question would be how to get it to work.

If bringing Walsh on from the bench, do you move Ponga into the roving lock role and Walsh to fullback (a lot of moving parts and changing a key spine position) OR do you put Walsh in the front line and see if you can do a Cronk 2018 and have him hiding from the defence as much as possible? (for this I'm assuming they aren't looking to sub off any of the spine and instead they would be wanting 2x fullbacks on the field).

I think one time a few years back Bhunt was brought into the middle roving lock role and I noticed that he was positioned on the edge of the middle defence i.e. one inside the edge back rower. I'm not sure if that was intentional or he just happened to find himself in that spot, but that might be an option if Walsh is in the defensive line, as teams aren't used to spotting up that defender with their second rower so his defence might be reduced.

If they do manage to get a prop on him in that spot there would be less big guys around him to help out, but at least he's not an easy spot up target like the dummy half usually is, and you would also be able to avoid having say Harry and Walsh defending next to each other in the middle of the field.

Active Now

• KateBroncos1812
  • Ondi
  • Big Del
  • HarryAllan7
  • john1420
  • mrslong
  • Justwin
  • Santa
  • Galah
  • GCBRONCO
  • broncsgoat
  • Mister Wright
  • Dazza 92
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.