Wayne Bennett quits Knights... Is he coming back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Apparently announced on 2GB and will be a press conference later today. I wonder where he is going?

Come home FFS. Show Griffin how to run a fucking football team.

Bet you he's going back to merge. Would love him to come back in any capacity, but won't happen

Quite surprised to see Bennett leaving tbh I thought he would see out his contract at Newcastle. Quite good to see the Knights fans being showed up after chest beating that Benny was going to bring them a premiership.

His contract was with Tinkler. So technically, he has seen it out.

Shows how little the media etc. actually know about these things. Just yesterday they were saying all their 'mail' suggests he will sign on long term with newcastle and will be answered within a week. lolz

Bet you he's going back to merge. Would love him to come back in any capacity, but won't happen

that would seem a strange move for Bennett .. he accomplished what he set out to do with St George so there wouldn't seem to be any real burning motivation for him to return ... and going there would only mean another x number of years away from his family ...

The broncos are quite obviously his 'first love' in terms of football clubs, and it's pretty clear how the place has gone backwards in a lot of ways since he left ... what better project for a guy in the twighlight of his coaching career than to return and try to restore 'his' club to the powerhouse it once was on the field.

(wayne I hope you're reading this)

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, has he even indicated he'd like to coach next season?

He's 64 and by far the oldest coach in the comp, I for one wouldn't be surprised if he retires from coaching/football,

Bennett said he had no desire to quit coaching altogether but claimed he doesn’t have a new job to go to yet despite speculation linking him to a return to St George Illawarra.
He denied having even spoken to the Dragons.
“It all remains to be seen what I do going forward,”he said.
“I haven’t made any decisions about that.
“I haven’t spoken to anyone. I just got this matter resolved first and I’ll have a look and see what’s available now.”
“I haven’t lost that (desire). I haven’t lost that at all. That’s part of making this decision.
“That drive to still want to coach. It’s about taking some ownership and responsibility for what’s happened here.
“I’ve done that and I’ll move on and make another decision about where my future is.”

Error Page

Last edited:
There is no way the Dragons would need him. McGregor is doing well for them and Benny delivered the Dragons what they always wanted.

RUMOR: Bennett back to Broncos

I have absolutely no evidence to suggest this is a possibility yet, but we all know the media will be getting the ball rolling soon, especially if we lose against Penrith and fall out of the 8.

My opinion on this has always been clear. People like to say that Wayne has fallen out of touch with the modern game and I disagree. The Knights were never going to be a premiership force under Waynes tenure for various reasons, including a terrible squad and chaos at the top with Tinklers rubbish.

If nothing else, Bennett will bring to our team what we know Griffin and his underlings can't, discipline. Say goodbye to dropped balls and losing games in the last 10 minutes. With the talent we have across the park, this is pretty much all we need along with a much better use of our bench.

Merged the threads and put them in Broncos Rumour mill, as we all know that rumour is bound to surface pretty soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.