We need another good prop

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Wth McGuire missing, it's exposed just how light we are in the prop department. We have some good young prospects no doubt but we are desperate for another prop. We have McGuire and that's it. I decided I would wait a while before writing off Blair, but it's painful watching him, he is awful.

I watch a bit of super league and if I was Bennett I would be looking at Chris Hill from Warrington. He is a big unit at 190 cm and about 115 kgs. He plays long minutes, has good footwork for a big bloke and is good defensively. He would fit in with Bennetts style of play.

We have Gavet. I still think he could bring some much needed aggression to the pack.

We will also have Dodds coming back soon. I think our front row stocks are fine.

Last edited:
We don't want to sign someone that will risk us losing Fai, Ofahengaue and Collins.

Dont really have an opinion on Gavet yet as I haven't seen enough of him, but Dodds injury record is a bit of a worry if we have to rely on him. He is brilliant defensively but the poor bugger does seem to get a lot of injuries. We could do with another prop, but that's just my opinion course.

Dont really have an opinion on Gavet yet as I haven't seen enough of him, but Dodds injury record is a bit of a worry if we have to rely on him. He is brilliant defensively but the poor bugger does seem to get a lot of injuries. We could do with another prop, but that's just my opinion course.
Actually you are only half right ! We could do with another four good props ! Our stocks are light as are our forwards generally. I love McGuire's work etc but if we had a pair like Scott and Tamou we would be so so much better off. I am a firm believer in a bird in the hand and don't give a shit about the forward we might develop or that might kick on. It is the here and now that counts not the future games. A club can hardly have too many top grade props and if you do they give you extra bargaining power. We are short when the lock come prop McGuire is our best.

I wish we could sign the Fifita brothers..then we would be a force !

Rugby World Cup finishes before 2016 starts. And the NRL have that union war chest, right? Only seems fair that Sam Burgess gets to play for the club he supported as a boy.

I think losing Gavet has been a big blow. Now I know he was pretty disastrous in his first game, but he definitely has the talent to be a valuable front rower off the bench.

Rugby World Cup finishes before 2016 starts. And the NRL have that union war chest, right? Only seems fair that Sam Burgess gets to play for the club he supported as a boy.

He immediately came to my mind as well Ari. Add him into our current roster and I think we are genuine contenders.

Actually you are only half right ! We could do with another four good props ! Our stocks are light as are our forwards generally. I love McGuire's work etc but if we had a pair like Scott and Tamou we would be so so much better off. I am a firm believer in a bird in the hand and don't give a shit about the forward we might develop or that might kick on. It is the here and now that counts not the future games. A club can hardly have too many top grade props and if you do they give you extra bargaining power. We are short when the lock come prop McGuire is our best.

I wish we could sign the Fifita brothers..then we would be a force !

In the same way, lose one of those like we lost McGuire, and NQ are shot. Exhibit A points to Scott & Hannant starting and their 0-3 start to the season.

This would be poetic justice after what Souths did to us with Inglis. It'd never happen though, the N(SW)RL wouldn't allow it.

In the same way, lose one of those like we lost McGuire, and NQ are shot. Exhibit A points to Scott & Hannant starting and their 0-3 start to the season.
Just like we lost without McGuire starting. This is the reason why I think we are not just one prop shy but how much better to have a surfeit of props. Last year Souths had the extras and that got them over the line as much as any thing else.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Broncos enter the market for another middle forward. We were in the running for Merrin which is apart of the reason why Bennett went so cold on Thaiday so early so I'm sure he views it as an area he'd like to improve.

It's just a matter of who. I think Wayne will have to settle for a fringe player with potential and look to develop a Ofahengaue, Molo or Fai as the long term option.

It's certainly an area that's letting the Broncos down at the moment. Blair is just too unreliable while the rookies are still developing and are clearly being protected off the bench, effectively leaving the Broncos with 13 players.

Last edited:
Gavet should have been that fringe player with considerable potential...too bad about the injury.

My concern with players like Gavet and Dodds is that they've got a pretty bad history when it comes to injury. Fingers crossed they live up to their potential here but another fringe forward wouldn't go astray.

Aren't the interchanges being reduced?

If that's the case, wouldn't it make more sense to invest in mobile backrowers rather than props?

Last edited:
Brisbane already have ample supply both in the team and coming through.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Wolfie
  • Sproj
  • broncsgoat
  • Bucking Beads
  • Fozz
  • Brocko
  • Manofoneway
  • winslow_wong
  • Allo
  • Mick_Hancock
  • sooticus
  • broncos4life
  • Big Del
  • lakers133334
  • RodF
  • ivanhungryjak
  • NSW stables
  • Johnny92
... and 20 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.