We need another good prop

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
We have Gavet. I still think he could bring some much needed aggression to the pack.

We will also have Dodds coming back soon. I think our front row stocks are fine.
I must have been under a rock, but I thought Dodds was OFTS. Was it not as bad as first thought?

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I must have been under a rock, but I thought Dodds was OFTS. Was it not as bad as first thought?

Scans revealed it wasn't as bad as they thought.

He should be back when the Origin period ends, probably earlier.

Stix

Stix

NRL Player
Mar 28, 2014
If Dodds and Gavet weren't injured we'd be looking a lot better- add moose, Wallace and Blair/Thaiday to that and I think we'd be sweet. Then we have Joe Offa and Molo coming through and the mystery man Mitch Garbutt( what's the go with him??? ) I don't think we're in dire straits just yet... Joe Offa is coming along nicely too, last game he played I thought he looked real good, Molo reminds me of Dave Hala, loads of potential but he's also a bit...meh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stix

Stix

NRL Player
Mar 28, 2014
Dave Hala, loads of potential but he's also a bit...meh.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Perhaps our best strategy is if we used the ball a lot more, props passing at the line, so our back rowers and backs received quality ball, especially that right hand side. Our back rowers make excellent metres, and when we move the ball, as we showed against the Cowboys for one, we break the line and score tries.

It's line speed and aggressive defence up the middle that counts most when you have smaller, more mobile front rowers.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Perhaps our best strategy is if we used the ball a lot more, props passing at the line, so our back rowers and backs received quality ball, especially that right hand side. Our back rowers make excellent metres, and when we move the ball, as we showed against the Cowboys for one, we break the line and score tries.

It's line speed and aggressive defence up the middle that counts most when you have smaller, more mobile front rowers.

To a degree, yes, but we saw what happens sometimes when props pass to props on Friday.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
To a degree, yes, but we saw what happens sometimes when props pass to props on Friday.

If if you're referring to Blair, he's no prop. Once a back rower, now a no hoper

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
If if you're referring to Blair, he's no prop. Once a back rower, now a no hoper

The pass from Thaiday to Wallace (I think it was Wallace) that went behind him, he knocked it on, and released all the pressure. IIRC it was early in the tackle count and we were on their line.

B

big k

QCup Player
Apr 10, 2013
Aren't the interchanges being reduced?

If that's the case, wouldn't it make more sense to invest in mobile backrowers rather than props?

Glenn, Thaiday, Parker, Arrow, Gillett, Oates, and Greinke all say hi. Seriously though, we have more than enough mobile back rowers who can play long minutes. Glenn and Parker can easily play 80 minutes when required.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
So in light of Garbutts release, and the salary cap maneuvering they seem to be doing by paying his wage and essentially handing him over to Manly for free, plans to sign a good prop seem to be lining up for next year.

Who is off contract? And who should we reasonably chase?

I don't know how accurate this is, but the list isn't pretty:

Ajuma Adams, Leeson Ah Mau, Daniel Alvaro, Sam Anderson, Tyson Andrews, Tinirau Arona, Uiti Baker, Caleb Binge, Michael Bullock, Rodney Coates, Mike Cooper, Mitchell Dodds, Herman Ese'ese, Richie Fa'aoso, Andy Fiagatusa, Jon Green, Glenn Hall, Ben Hannant, James Hasson, Saulala Houma, Mark Ioane, Felise Kaufusi, Leilani Latu, Dunamis Lui, Darcy Lussick, Jeff Lynch, Suaia Matagi, Francis Molo, Ben Murdoch-Masila, Eric Newbigging, Rulon Nutira, Joe Ofahengaue, Agnatius Paasi, Luke Page, Jah Pakau, Nathaniel Peteru, Eddy Pettybourne, Sam Rapira, Tim Robinson, Junior Roqica, George Rose, Ligi Sao, Ava Seumanufagai, David Shillington, Michael Steele, Sam Tagataese, Peni Terepo, Tuiala Togiatasi, Siosaia Vave, Albert Vete, Shannon Wakeman, Christian Welch, Dayne Weston

Read more: http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/rugby-league/players/off-contract-2015/by-position-2015/#ixzz3afP5MYTP

Ofa and Molo will probably stay, not sure about Dodds, and the only other names there that stick out to me are Ah Mau, Lui and Rapira.

Last edited:
Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Some decent off contract props next year - Campbell-Gillard, Burgers, Klemmer, Tapupau, Sam moa...and Kennedy

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Pauli Pauli, Mike Cooper and John Asiata would all be worth having a look at.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Some decent off contract props next year - Campbell-Gillard, Burgers, Klemmer, Tapupau, Sam moa...and Kennedy

Klemmer and Moa sound good coming off the bench.

George Burgess doesn't sound bad either

Last edited:
Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Ah Mau, Cooper & Terepo are all decent, we should be looking at one of them.

Stix

Stix

NRL Player
Mar 28, 2014
Burgess would be unreal but he would want too much and we all know WB doesn't pay props big bucks

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Surgess would obviously be huge.. but A) he probably won't come back to the NRL any time soon and B) he'd want $1m a season, which we currently don't have

Active Now

• Totally Unr3al
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncs1459
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncosarethebest
  • broncsgoat
  • Fozz
  • FACTHUNT
  • Alec
  • Swordfish
  • PETERN
  • scobie
  • Sproj
  • Galah
  • whykickamoocow
  • Allo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • mrslong
  • Aldo
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.