2017 Under 20's

Carrigan and Haas' running metres on NRL.com actually do include the Bulldogs game, for some reason they don't show but they are included in the total. You can see the stats for that game on the League Live app.

Important win for the Broncos, it temporarily places them 6th on the ladder with a healthy +60 F/A.

To paint the picture, 11 teams remain in the running for the 2017 NYC premiership with Canberra, Melbourne, Canterbury, Wests and the Warriors done for the year. Realistically, you would say the Roosters are finished but that leaves North Queensland, Parramatta, Newcastle, Manly, South Sydney, Brisbane and the Gold Coast (basically in that order) gunning for a Top 8 spot.

To round out the year Brisbane will face off against 5th placed Parramatta next Thursday at Suncorp before traveling up to North Queensland to face off against the 4th placed Cowboys at 1300SMILES Stadium the following week.

In contrast the rest of the runs home look like...

North Queensland (require 1 win to cement finals position)
Rd24 vs Sharks (1st)
Rd25 vs Tigers (15th)
Rd26 vs Broncos (6th)

Eels (require 1 win to cement spot)
Rd24 vs Titans (10th)
Rd25 vs Broncos (6th)
Rd26 vs Rabbitohs (9th)

Newcastle (require 2 wins to cement spot)
Rd24 vs Storm (13th)
Rd25 vs Raiders (12th)
Rd26 vs Sharks (1st)

Manly (require 3 wins to cement spot)
Rd24 vs Bulldogs (14th)
Rd25 vs Warriors (16th)
Rd26 vs Panthers (2nd)

South Sydney (require 3 wins to cement spot)
Rd24 vs Warriors (16th)
Rd25 vs Storm (14th)
Rd26 vs Eels (5th)

Gold Coast Titans (require 3 wins to potentially make the 8)
Rd24 vs Eels (5th)
Rd25 vs Bulldogs (14th)
Rd26 vs Roosters

Roosters (Require 3 wins to potentially make the 8)
Rd24 vs Tigers (15th)
Rd25 vs Sharks (1st)
Rd26 vs Titans (10th)

I'd say the Broncos who have played 1st and 3rd and will go onto play 5th and 4th would have had the toughest run home of any side.

Realistically, the cut-off will be 30 points so the Broncos will have to win next weekend to give themselves an opportunity. However it appears that it will definitely come down to four and against.

Now, this season is basically a one horse race with Cronulla, but who doesn't want to see some more Broncos on telly? Two games all season, it'd be nice to see the team that played the second ever televised Holden Cup game be there come finals time.

They said the same thing with the panthers last year and the Roosters beat them in the grand final. The 20s is so unpredictable. A team running 8th can win that comp.

Penrith weren't as dominant as this Sharks side, had disruptions and suffered an almighty choke in the finals. Of course anything can happen, but be realistic. At this stage, the Broncos will do well to even make the finals.

8th Minute - TRY Haydn O'Hara. Converted by Gerome Burns (1/1). Broncos lead 6-0.
24th Minute - TRY John Fonua. Conversion unsuccessful by Daniel Brown (0/1). Broncos lead 6-4
40th Minute - Penalty Goal Gerome Burns (2/2). Broncos lead 8-4.
65th Minute - TRY Tristan Hope. Converted by Gerome Burns (3/3). Broncos lead 14-4.
73rd Minute - Try John Fonua. Conversion unsuccessful by Daniel Brown (0/2). Broncos lead 14-8.

Last edited:
Gerome Burns has been Parra's best today.

BRISBANE BRONCOS 14 (H. O'Hara 8', T. Hope 65' tries; G. Burns 3/3 goals) def. PARRAMATTA EELS 8 (J. Fonua (2) 24', 73' tries; D. Brown 0/2 goals)

Brisbane move to 6th on the ladder.

If the Knights lose their Friday afternoon game against Canberra at GIO, Brisbane will participate in the 2017 Finals series.

I gather the low scoreline is a reflection of the weather or field

I gather the low scoreline is a reflection of the weather or field
Weather is fine. Field may be a bit greasy though, as this was literally a knock-on-a-thon.

Between both teams, it wouldn't surprise me if the completion rate was well below 50%. Worst game I've watched in a very long time.

Newcastle came from behind to win 21-20 to keep their season alive.

If they beat Cronulla next week and the Broncos lose to the Cowboys, that will be the end of the Broncos season.

Round 25 Wrap Up

BRISBANE BRONCOS 14 (H. O'Hara 8', T. Hope 65' tries; G. Burns 3/3 goals) def. PARRAMATTA EELS 8 (J. Fonua (2) 24', 72' tries; D. Brown 0/2 goals)

Halftime: Brisbane 8-4
Errors: Brisbane 16-14
Penalties: Brisbane 5-4
Sin Bin: Nil
Sent Off: Nil
Referee: Nick Pelgrave
Touch Judges: Liam Kennedy & Tim Rutherford
Completion Rates: Brisbane 20/36 (56%), Parramatta 28/41 (68%)

A very important win in the context of the Broncos season. Had they lost, they would currently be in jeopardy of missing out on the finals after Newcastle's last gasp win over Canberra.

While the Broncos struggled to get through their sets, they can take heart in their defence. The Broncos only missed 16 tackles and conceded the one line-break making this their best defensive effort of 2017.

One unsung hero of the Under 20s has been Josh Fauid. After bringing him back after an unhappy season with the Gold Coast Titans, Fauid handled himself strongly in defence and set up both tries for the Brisbane Broncos. His younger brother David Fauid enjoyed a strong return as well, making 6 tackle-breaks, a line-break and most importantly no errors on return. He was sorely missed by the Broncos and with him and Herbie Farnworth (17 runs 151m) the Broncos are having a much easier time getting out of their end of the field.

Patrick Carrigan continued to impress with a superb captains knock. 50 tackles (2 misses), 21 runs (165m) all in a tough 80 minute performance. He wasn't alone mind you and the likes of Hope, Russell, Staggs, Smoothy and Whitbread can all be proud of their contributions.

Unfortunately in some bad news for the Brisbane Broncos, Jai Whitbread appeared to have suffered some kind of injury. The NSW junior representative has been a very strong player for Brisbane both with and without the ball and the Broncos can ill afford to lose another forward in their pack.

We will know more by Tuesday, for the time being, Brisbane remain 6th on the ladder as they hope for a few results to go their way.

What's cracking with corey allan , it appears he isn't having much impact?

Anyone know how long Haas is out?
I've not caught any of the 20's since I ditched Foxtel so I don't even know what his injury is.

Thanks.
I hate that he captained under 18 NSW, did I not see him represent QLD under 16?

Haas represented NSW in the 2015 Under 16s Origin game.

He's originally a Gold Coast junior, so that maybe where the confusion is coming from?

Haas represented NSW in the 2015 Under 16s Origin game.

He's originally a Gold Coast junior, so that maybe where the confusion is coming from?
Yeh not sure, I just remember googling him a while back and in one he was wearing a QLD jersey.

Attachments

• IMG_2841.JPG
    IMG_2841.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 82

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Manofoneway
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Bucking Beads
  • Culhwch
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Browny
  • Midean
  • Justwin
  • Stix
  • Harry Sack
  • Fitzy
  • Big Del
  • Johnny92
  • Porthoz
  • Volvo Driver
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.