2018 NRL Side

What makes him not the right fit? Like i said, the players totally respect him both on and off the pitch, He is one of our most key players on it as well. To see some of the ( quite valid as well based on his performances after his Origin injury ) comments about him you would think all he does is timidly bring back the ball and whine about getting tackled. The whining i agree with to a point, i dont like the look of it, but his kick returns not having much impact were down to him not being 100% fit. The club obviously thought he could manage it and they also must obviously think a 70% fit Boyd is still a much better option than any of our other fullbacks.

On top of that, i actually think we have a lack of leaders anyway. Outside of maybe Macca, i dont see much captain material at the moment out there.

If Hunt didn't **** up in the Grand Final and kept building on his 2014/2015 form, and we kept him because he wasn't ruined used goods, he might have been a fantastic captain for us. He had so much heart.

Who do I want to see every week -

Talking to the ref in games

Answering questions in post match interviews

As the face of the Broncos

I can't see many candidates in our side from my point of view.

Andrew McCullough seems the logical choice as he's a one club player, broncos junior, has played hundreds of games, has good knowledge of the game, and is in a crucial spine role for the side.

Jordan Kahu could possibly grow into that sort of role if he eventually moves to fullback and grows on his input in a game

Talking to the ref in games

Answering questions in post match interviews

As the face of the Broncos

Boyd does all that ... he hasn't given those famous one word answers since he returned

I reckon McGuire is best fit for captain and would probably grow and extra leg if given the role.
So bloody tough, uncompromising and just has that never give up attitude. He would do anything for the jersey, anything.
If I was in this broncos team, I’d want him as my captain.

Hearing our Redcliffe affiliate players from last year are affiliated again ( not sure about Lodge yet ) which is hugely surprising to me. Dont know if its 100% correct but knowing what Bennett thinks of them i'm shocked. Anyone know where any of our other blokes are headed in the ISC next year?

I reckon McGuire is best fit for captain and would probably grow and extra leg if given the role.
So bloody tough, uncompromising and just has that never give up attitude. He would do anything for the jersey, anything.

I love McGuire, but he seems like one of the dumbest players in the game. Not footy wise though, just general wise. Anyone remember that clip where he said he pulled 4 teeth out because they were annoying him and now wears a denture?

If Hunt didn't **** up in the Grand Final and kept building on his 2014/2015 form, and we kept him because he wasn't ruined used goods, he might have been a fantastic captain for us. He had so much heart.

Unfortunately the fork in the road went the other direction. He never mentally recovered from that moment.

Macca or Mach3 hydroglide i would suggest as alternative in the future Bird and potential one other forward (wont name until i see his form this season)

Attachments

• 4FE42164-389B-46D0-9B87-3C391AE09880.gif
    4FE42164-389B-46D0-9B87-3C391AE09880.gif
    1.6 MB · Views: 84
I love McGuire, but he seems like one of the dumbest players in the game. Not footy wise though, just general wise. Anyone remember that clip where he said he pulled 4 teeth out because they were annoying him and now wears a denture?
Fair point. But smart RL players are the exception, not the norm.
I think most players respond better to someone who leads by actions rather than words, which is why pretty much every Broncos captain has been a ‘doer’, not a ‘sayer’.
Boyd is neither, really. Which is why, of the current crop we have, McGuire is the biggest ‘doer’ and the player who I believe would do the best job - a lot like Tallis.

Gillett is revelling because his job is being kept simple. No way he should be having to worry about the rest of the team.
I reckon he knows heis job that well that it wouldn't affect his game to much, but I guess that extra pressure of being a captain would apply to anyone

No, just no. Captaincy requires more than attitude on the field. It at the very least requires a semblance of a brain!

If you want the above qualities, you'd go Macca or Glenn. Gillett would definitely also be above Moose.

No, just no. Captaincy requires more than attitude on the field. It at the very least requires a semblance of a brain!

If you want the above qualities, you'd go Macca or Glenn. Gillett would definitely also be above Moose.
I’m sorry, but I disagree.
Both Beetson and Tallis were successful captains and absolutely idolised by not only those that played with and against them, but also most rugby league enthusiasts regardless of whether they supported them as players or not.
After all, they’re not performing brain surgery - they run and tackle with a few other things thrown in every now and then.
I’m a big fan of Macca, Glenn and Gillett, but adding responsibility to their roles will burden them with expectation that I believe will be to the detriment of their own game. Quite simply, they’ll overthink it - see Thaiday.
You tell McGuire to go out there and lead from the front and that’s what he’ll do because that’s exactly what he does now.
Leave steering the team to the spine and you don’t need someone like Smith captaining.
The rest will get behind their leader and follow his example because sport, in particular rugby league, is a lot like the military, which is something McGuire understands better than any other Bronco.

Gillett is revelling because his job is being kept simple. No way he should be having to worry about the rest of the team.
I think the same can be said of Maguire. I never Tallis as the great leader. He was a good example for the other forwards and a leader for them, but that was it.
I think Maguire can lead in that way but he doesnt have the ability to push the right buttons for the backs and im not sure his personality wouldn't clash with some, given the role. All that and he has a short fuse.
I agree that Macca has leadership potential but Boyd is definitely the best candidate for now (unless his hamstring continues to trouble him). I don't have an indepth knowledge of what happens behind closed doors or at training so I might be off with that assessment but from what I have seen those are my opinions.
I do know that any club or team needs more than one leader. In fact there should be a group of them, based on their maturity and work ethic. Whoever wears the "C" should simply be the most prominent and deserving among them.

Active Now

• Broncs1459
  • FACTHUNT
  • Fatboy
  • Aldo
  • sooticus
  • Spoon
  • HarryAllan7
  • Rookie Alan
  • Broncorob
  • Gaz
  • Foordy
  • Old Mate
  • Harry Sack
  • mystico
  • ettybay
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.