2018 NRL Side

I think the same can be said of Maguire. I never Tallis as the great leader. He was a good example for the other forwards and a leader for them, but that was it.
I think Maguire can lead in that way but he doesnt have the ability to push the right buttons for the backs and im not sure his personality wouldn't clash with some, given the role. All that and he has a short fuse.
I agree that Macca has leadership potential but Boyd is definitely the best candidate for now (unless his hamstring continues to trouble him). I don't have an indepth knowledge of what happens behind closed doors or at training so I might be off with that assessment but from what I have seen those are my opinions.
I do know that any club or team needs more than one leader. In fact there should be a group of them, based on their maturity and work ethic. Whoever wears the "C" should simply be the most prominent and deserving among them.

That wasn’t an endorsement of McGuire BTW. I agree that him & Gillett are similar in terms of their attitude and effort, but they’re both a bit too dumb to be captain. FTR I never liked Tallis as captain either. All great players, all able to lead from the front, but none have the smarts to recognise when the opposition is manipulating us and baiting us in to playing in to their hands.

For my mine, we don’t have an ideal captain. Boyd is by far the closest.

I’m sorry, but I disagree.
Both Beetson and Tallis were successful captains and absolutely idolised by not only those that played with and against them, but also most rugby league enthusiasts regardless of whether they supported them as players or not.
After all, they’re not performing brain surgery - they run and tackle with a few other things thrown in every now and then.
I’m a big fan of Macca, Glenn and Gillett, but adding responsibility to their roles will burden them with expectation that I believe will be to the detriment of their own game. Quite simply, they’ll overthink it - see Thaiday.
You tell McGuire to go out there and lead from the front and that’s what he’ll do because that’s exactly what he does now.
Leave steering the team to the spine and you don’t need someone like Smith captaining.
The rest will get behind their leader and follow his example because sport, in particular rugby league, is a lot like the military, which is something McGuire understands better than any other Bronco.
Let's agree to disagree.
The burden of captaincy will get to anyone, including McGuire. Besides, compared to him, Tallis and Beetson would almost be considered rocket scientists.

Let's agree to disagree.
The burden of captaincy will get to anyone, including McGuire. Besides, compared to him, Tallis and Beetson would almost be considered rocket scientists.
Sounds like a plan - happy to do so

I think Moose would be an interesting captain, old school really. A lot of players wouldn't like him but they sure as anything would fear and respect him, I like that in a captain. He wouldn't be scared of telling them to pull their socks up and for me, that is what I look for in a captain, couldn't care less how they present in pre and post-match interviews.

Yeah couldn’t possibly be a bad photo/bad angle. I mean we saw a photo in the gym the other day looking pretty fit, but we will all lose our minds over this one. No wonder the media have so much power these days.

I don’t we would see a picture of James Roberts like that in any picture. It’s not the angle it’s the condition his body is in.

I think Moose would be an interesting captain, old school really. A lot of players wouldn't like him but they sure as anything would fear and respect him, I like that in a captain. He wouldn't be scared of telling them to pull their socks up and for me, that is what I look for in a captain, couldn't care less how they present in pre and post-match interviews.
We've had Tallis and Parker in a similar mould, and neither was able to rally his troops the way Lewis, Langer, Walters, Locky or even Hodgo did in his single year. It certainly helps to lead by example, but you need more than that as a captain.
Of course, we have been very lucky with our captains, as most had extraordinary vision and understanding of the game, and were capable of adapting to the opposition on the fly, while being capable of dealing with each different individual in your team. That requires more than attitude and brawn.

We've had Tallis and Parker in a similar mould, and neither was able to rally his troops the way Lewis, Langer, Walters, Locky or even Hodgo did in his single year. It certainly helps to lead by example, but you need more than that as a captain.
Of course, we have been very lucky with our captains, as most had extraordinary vision and understanding of the game, and were capable of adapting to the opposition on the fly, while being capable of dealing with each different individual in your team. That requires more than attitude and brawn.

I don’t disagree with that but seriously, we need something we haven’t got as captain in the qualities you mentioned.

I like Boyd’s off-field attitude now but his on-field leadership is (in my opinion) rightly questioned. It isn’t that he didn’t have a great year last year (very much due to injury you’d think) and it isn’t that he doesn’t Karmichael it back, it’s in the getting up shaking of the head, the allowing of the pushing in he back and just walking away, the lack of last ditch tackles when required.

This is the stuff where McGuire shines. He isn’t the biggest or the best but he is the bravest and you know he will fight tooth and nail in every thing he does. That’s the kind of leader I’d like but I’m old school.

Shame we can’t have a hybrid of Boyd and McGuire really. I’m also more than happy to give Boyd another year in the role, just so we are clear.

Maranta was a better player than what Pearson is.

BS ... just ask Hodges who he would rather have outside him, you could always see the look of utter frustration on Hodges faces when Maranta inevitably bombed yet another certain try...

Although, Maranta was innovative ... he had a knack for find new ways to bomb a try

BS ... just ask Hodges who he would rather have outside him, you could always see the look of utter frustration on Hodges faces when Maranta inevitably bombed yet another certain try...

Although, Maranta was innovative ... he had a knack for find new ways to bomb a try

At least Maranta was in the position to score and he could run 10 meters without falling over.

At least Maranta was in the position to score and he could run 10 meters without falling over.

So Pearson wears Ice Skates and Maranta kept tripping over his own feet ...

Pearson is also much quicker than Maranta. If Maranta's claims that he was fast are true, he never felt like showing it at the Broncos ...

Besides, I would get used to seeing Pearson in the team, If Oates moves into the backrow as reported, then Pearson will be the front runner for the vacated wing position

Maranta was a better player than what Pearson is.

ZYITJ.gif

It remains to be seen if he is better or worse then Maranta, a hand full of games is no indication of either.

Active Now

• Robboi_321
  • Johnny92
  • Astro
  • Rambstien
  • jarro65
  • Fitzy
  • whykickamoocow
  • bb_gun
  • marw
  • winslow_wong
  • Ronald
  • Battler
  • Fozz
  • mrslong
  • Sproj
  • MrTickyMcG
  • sooticus
  • Alec
  • Jazza
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.