2018 NRL Side

I have always been a bit in the camp of that you have that natural skill set as a half or you don't, but after watching Cooper Cronk, it is possible to learn the role if you are really committed and very disciplined. So I would agree with you, I don't think Niko is a halfback, but it is possible. We would need to start seeing the development of his skills as the season progresses. He has always struck me as more of a fullback or 5/8 to be honest (or the utility role).
Yes, agree on everything you say, however Cooper Cronk is a rare exception in the NRL world. He has something I haven't seen in Nikorima or Milford (or most players for that matter), which is an above average intelligence, and makes up for his lack of innate talent.

Austin has this in him with the right coach and team. I think hes much better than Niko (not playing well of late i know). He could play exactly that role of Green.
Yeah Austin can be a great player when he’s on but he and Green couldn’t be on further sides of the Half spectrum as far as playing style is concerned. In fact I literally see zero overlap between them.

Yes, agree on everything you say, however Cooper Cronk is a rare exception in the NRL world. He has something I haven't seen in Nikorima or Milford (or most players for that matter), which is an above average intelligence, and makes up for his lack of innate talent.

lol people always say this about Cronk like he was some schmuk who against all odds was successful. He’s strong for his size, a great defender, extremely fit, consistently one of the fastest players at the storm (a fact that is often overlooked), and incredibly intelligent by league standards.

Also someone please point out a time when Cronk was a terrible half before this big transformation? Sure he may have taken a few seasons to get to the heights he eventually reached but so does every other rookie half.

People talk about him like he had to overcome polio, and that Bellamy scooped him out of the Amazon and had to teach him to stop shooting blow darts at the football because he originally mistook it for some strange breed of boar.

He was an Australian and QLD schoolboy rep, and won dally m halfback of the year in his third season of NRL (second full season at halfback).

lol people always say this about Cronk like he was some schmuk who against all odds was successful. He’s strong for his size, a great defender, extremely fit, consistently one of the fastest players at the storm (a fact that is often overlooked), and incredibly intelligent by league standards.

Also someone please point out a time when Cronk was a terrible half before this big transformation? Sure he may have taken a few seasons to get to the heights he eventually reached but so does every other rookie half.

People talk about him like he had to overcome polio, and that Bellamy scooped him out of the Amazon and had to teach him to stop shooting blow darts at the football because he originally mistook it for some strange breed of boar.

He was an Australian and QLD schoolboy rep, and won dally m halfback of the year in his third season of NRL (second full season at halfback).

I think its more through his dedication he has become a better player than he probably should have.

I think its more through his dedication he has become a better player than he probably should have.

You could literally say that about any top tier player though who isn’t Jarryd Hayne.

Smith, Lockyer, Thurston, Slater all just half assed it their whole career because of natural ability?

You could literally say that about any top tier player though who isn’t Jarryd Hayne.

Smith, Lockyer, Thurston, Slater all just half assed it their whole career because of natural ability?

I dont think they put in as much as Cooper tbf. He is a bit of an anomaly as a player. Cronk doesnt quite have the natural talent those blokes had, so he just improved out of sight what he was good at.

I dont think they put in as much as Cooper tbf. He is a bit of an anomaly as a player. Cronk doesnt quite have the natural talent those blokes had, so he just improved out of sight what he was good at.

Thurston maybe. But does Smith (who I believe is top 3 greatest players of my lifetime) really have any amazing natural talent? He’s just the hooker version of Cronk but somehow even more consistent. Cronk is definitely the better athlete of the two.

Thurston maybe. But does Smith (who I believe is top 3 greatest players of my lifetime) really have any amazing natural talent? He’s just the hooker version of Cronk but somehow even more consistent. Cronk is definitely the better athlete of the two.

I think Smith does have amazing natural talent tbh, he just doesnt look the part physically.

I'm not saying the others you said dont work hard at their games because they obviously do, i just see Cronk as being very different to the majority of other players in the current game in terms of dedication. He is a freak.

I think Smith does have amazing natural talent tbh, he just doesnt look the part physically.

I'm not saying the others you said dont work hard at their games because they obviously do, i just see Cronk as being very different to the majority of other players in the current game in terms of dedication. He is a freak.
Oh yeah, absolutely. I completely agree with that. But he’s always been an incredible halfback. People just make it sound like a Lachlan Maranta worked super human levels of hard and turned himself into a James Tedesco.

When realistically his hard work probably shifted him from a Mitchell Pearce to a Cooper Cronk.

Smith will retire at the end of this year if the NRL keeps up on the crackdown.

Oh yeah, absolutely. I completely agree with that. But he’s always been an incredible halfback. People just make it sound like a Lachlan Maranta worked super human levels of hard and turned himself into a James Tedesco.

When realistically his hard work probably shifted him from a Mitchell Pearce to a Cooper Cronk.

He wasn't always an incredible halfback.

He worked his ass off to get as good as he is now, but before then, he wasn't exactly going to be in the top echelon of halfbacks if he didn't dedicate his life to improving in every area.

He was a pretty shit kicker, as well.

Overreacting much? I never said he was a schmuck or anything remotely similar. I only said he doesn't have the innate talent (speed, agility, evasiveness) some players like Milford or even Nikorima have. I wasn't comparing him to nobodies ffs.

Obviously, physical ability speaks for itself if you want to play Rugby League, but every player in first grade has that. It's that intelligence (which gave him game vision and awareness) combined with great work ethic, that allowed him to flourish as a top halfback, or Smith as a hooker for example.

He wasn't always an incredible halfback.

He worked his ass off to get as good as he is now, but before then, he wasn't exactly going to be in the top echelon of halfbacks if he didn't dedicate his life to improving in every area.

He was a pretty shit kicker, as well.

Well his work ethic must have fixed that extremely quickly because he pushed out Orfard after one season as a utility and won halfback dally m the next.

Overreacting much? I never said he was a schmuck or anything remotely similar. I only said he doesn't have the innate talent (speed, agility, evasiveness) some players like Milford or even Nikorima have. I wasn't comparing him to nobodies ffs.

Obviously, physical ability speaks for itself if you want to play Rugby League, but every player in first grade has that. It's that intelligence (which gave him game vision and awareness) combined with great work ethic, that allowed him to flourish as a top halfback, or Smith as a hooker for example.

Sorry, I wasn’t aiming that comment specifically at you. I meant the way the media and fans have spoke about it like it was gospel at almost every opportunity they get. Your comment was quite reasonable in a vacuum. One thing I want to point out though is you saying he doesn’t have speed. He may not be Milford quick but in the 2017 preseason he was the second or third fastest player at storm over certain distances.

Poor Kodi, i don't know where he fits now after the Bird played well at 5/8....I for one was critical of placing bird in 5/8 because i thought he would be wasted. Its seems his skills were put to good use and his competitive nature gave the team plenty of push in the middle. Watching the replay again you can see he was doing a lot of work talking and organising and played really well positionally.

Bird at 5/8 also strengthens our defense big time, as Tommy held his won reasonably well in lieu.

Poor Kodi, i don't know where he fits now after the Bird played well at 5/8....I for one was critical of placing bird in 5/8 because i thought he would be wasted. Its seems his skills were put to good use and his competitive nature gave the team plenty of push in the middle. Watching the replay again you can see he was doing a lot of work talking and organising and played really well positionally.

Bird at 5/8 also strengthens our defense big time, as Tommy held his won reasonably well in lieu.
I'll be fuming if Bird goes back to centre, Nik had his shot and blew it I'd prefer him as a impact player off the bench but some games are going to require 4 forwards on the bench so who knows what the further hold for him

I'll be fuming if Bird goes back to centre, Nik had his shot and blew it I'd prefer him as a impact player off the bench but some games are going to require 4 forwards on the bench so who knows what the further hold for him
Macca plays 80 mins these days which makes a bench role for Niko very unlikely. It's not like he can cover of plethora of positions. Send him down to ISC and maybe another team will pick him up before June 30. He is no longer needed at the Broncos.

I thought bird played half, not 5/8. At least he was on that side of the field with the forwards. It limited his running as bit but his understanding of the game was invaluable to a team where the halves look more lost than our front row at times.
You're basically sacrificing a big part of his play for the betterment of the team.

Active Now

• bazza
  • Griffo
  • Spoon
  • Justwin
  • Brocko
  • bert_lifts
  • Santa
  • Emanon
  • Fitzy
  • The Don
  • BroncosAlways
  • broncs30
  • Johnny92
  • Foordy
  • Alec
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.