2019 Broncos Line-up

It amazes me why we appear to be the only club to get excited and thankful for re-signing our own players. All others seem to be able to rob and pillage a superstar here or a superstar there and cause them to go into unbelievable raptures while all we want and need is to get those we’ve already got on board.
It’s a bit like falling into a bucket of tits and coming up sucking your own thumb and being happy about it.
Come on Broncs, get off your arse and sign those we need to and **** the rest.

Last edited:
ningnangnong said:
Pete, what are your impressions on Carrigan?

Seems to be a bit of talk around him. I think a couple of posters have even said they reckon he's the best out of the Fifta, Haas and Carrigan triumvirate.

Huge fan.

When Carrigan first came into the NYC team, he had to fill Pangai Jr's shoes. You can only imagine how difficult a task that must have been, but Pat managed to hold his own in the position and by the time he was 19 was one of the top prospects of the NYC. This year he forced his way into the starting line-up of a QRL side and was one of the gulls most consistent performers through out the season. I thought he was unlucky not to get an NRL call-up and believe it's only a matter of time before he finds himself in top grade.

He's the main reason why I wasn't as heart-broken as I should have been over Arrow. I still think Jai is the better defender, but Carrigan is just as fit and has a bit more skill about him.

I'm not sure if I share Wolfie's sentiment, albeit I can see where he's coming from. Based on performances, Carrigan has a stronger case. However in terms of athleticism and skill, Haas & Fifita are amazing prospects, possibly the best I've seen coming through.

Last edited:
Thanks for the rundown mate - I love having you back on BHQ! :biggrin:

What is this I'm reading on The Herald that TPJ and Lodge have already commited to us

Huge fan.

When Carrigan first came into the NYC team, he had to fill Pangai Jr's shoes. You can only imagine how difficult a task that must have been, but Pat managed to hold his own in the position and by the time he was 19 was one of the top prospects of the NYC. This year he forced his way into the starting line-up of a QRL side and was one of the gulls most consistent performers through out the season. I thought he was unlucky not to get an NRL call-up and believe it's only a matter of time before he finds himself in top grade.

He's the main reason why I wasn't as heart-broken as I should have been over Arrow. I still think Jai is the better defender, but Carrigan is just as fit and has a bit more skill about him.

I'm not sure if I share Wolfie's sentiment, albeit I can see where he's coming from. Based on performances, Carrigan has a stronger case. However in terms of athleticism and skill, Haas & Fifita are amazing prospects, possibly the best I've seen coming through.

I just think Patty has outperformed all our young forwards at every level they have played at. I also think he is a leader which I don't think any of our other young forwards are. He has a level of consistency to his game you don't see much in younger forwards.

Huge fan.

I've been following him since he first played Under 20's and I just love what he brings but I'm worried that he might not get an opportunity to crack the NRL side and might move on. With Gillett and Savelio coming back from long term injury and Haas, Sua and Fifita getting game time ahead of him, I just don't know where they are going to fit him in (same with Flegler).
I think Melbourne were sniffing around a while ago and that says a lot. They don't chase duds.

I'm worried that he might not get an opportunity to crack the NRL side and might move on. With Gillett and Savelio coming back from long term injury and Haas, Sua and Fifita getting game time ahead of him, I just don't know where they are going to fit him in (same with Flegler).
I think Melbourne were sniffing around a while ago and that says a lot. They don't chase duds.

I'm not worried, with Thaiday & Sims moving on there's spots in the rotation up for grabs. I also wouldn't be shocked if Glenn isn't playing for the Broncos next season, but that's a discussion for another day.

8. Lodge
9. McCullough
10. Ofahengaue
11. Su'A
12. Gillett
13. McGuire

14. Nikorima
15. Pangai Jr
16. Haas
17. Fifita

All it'll take is 1 injury or suspension to any of the above players and Carrigan would likely be the first man up.

I imagine the Broncos will turn to their juniors to fill the void. Players like Fanitesi Niu, Jack Paterson, Tom Dearden, Ethan Bullemor, Tanah Boyd, Corey Paix, Kobe Hetherington, Jordan Riki, Herbie Farnworth, Ioane Seiuli etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if a few unannounced signings report for November 1st either, like Jake Turpin did last year.

Thanks for replying. Looks like our squad will be younger next year

I just think Patty has outperformed all our young forwards at every level they have played at. I also think he is a leader which I don't think any of our other young forwards are. He has a level of consistency to his game you don't see much in younger forwards.

I'd say he's shown more, but he's also had more opportunities to impress. Haas' 2017 and 2018 both ended prematurely while Fifita barely played any Queensland Cup before winding up in the big time. In the few glimpses I've seen of Haas and Fifita, I've seen them put together performances Carrigan (as well as most players) could only dream of.

Again, I suspect he'll get his opportunity next year and most fans will be wondering what took so long.

I'm not worried, with Thaiday & Sims moving on there's spots in the rotation up for grabs. I also wouldn't be shocked if Glenn isn't playing for the Broncos next season, but that's a discussion for another day.

8. Lodge
9. McCullough
10. Ofahengaue
11. Su'A
12. Gillett
13. McGuire

14. Nikorima
15. Pangai Jr
16. Haas
17. Fifita

All it'll take is 1 injury or suspension to any of the above players and Carrigan would likely be the first man up.
Have a go at that bench! **** yeah

I'd say he's shown more, but he's also had more opportunities to impress. Haas' 2017 and 2018 both ended prematurely while Fifita barely played any Queensland Cup before winding up in the big time. In the few glimpses I've seen of Haas and Fifita, I've seen them put together performances Carrigan (as well as most players) could only dream of.

Again, I suspect he'll get his opportunity next year and most fans will be wondering what took so long.

I'm not sure I buy that mate that Fifita and Haas have put in performances Carrigan could only dream of. They are all different types of players though. I think Haas will offer bigger impact that Patty, but I think you will get more consitency from Pat and he does the dirty work and tough carries better than Haas. Hard to compare them to Fifita really as he is an edge back rower and the other two aren't even though they can play there. Whatever the outcome with them, we certainly have a crop of quality forwards coming through

Carrigan is a footballer not an athlete like Haas and Fifita. Carrigan is never going to run 100m or stand off a scrum and fend off guys scoring like Fifita did against Jets this year. He progressed, first game against the Pride which was down here in a late change, in the wet against Carney and everything really hard and he made lots of efforts he could only get 40 minutes but by the end of the year he was playing 80 minutes.

He got smarter, by the end of the year two games that stood out- coming off the Hunters which always drains guys and he plays 80 minutes against Townsville. Blackhawks are finals bound and have a huge pack while poor Wynnum and playing for nothing. Carrigan tops the tackles count and makes the most ground that's against Townsville with three NRL guys.

He was young and in a struggling team this year and then lost Haas and he did everything right. He played bench, second row and front row for Wynnum and defended in the ruck and just got things done.

Carrigan is a leader in every team he plays, Hodges had no choice but to make him captain this year and he was sensational even his speech after the 20's Origin screamed class. He was great all week, I have never seen a more accomplished young leader.

Bullemor is very similar to Carrigan in smarts and ability. Carrigan reminds me of later day Parker a bit.

Last edited:
Carrigan is a footballer not an athlete like Haas and Fifita. Carrigan is never going to run 100m or stand off a scrum and fend off guys scoring like Fifita did against Jets this year. He progressed, first game against the Pride which was down here in a late change, in the wet against Carney and everything really hard and he made lots of efforts he could only get 40 minutes but by the end of the year he was playing 80 minutes.

He got smarter, by the end of the year two games that stood out- coming off the Hunters which always drains guys and he plays 80 minutes against Townsville. Blackhawks are finals bound and have a huge pack while poor Wynnum and playing for nothing. Carrigan tops the tackles count and makes the most ground that's against Townsville with three NRL guys.

He was young and in a struggling team this year and then lost Haas and he did everything right. He played bench, second row and front row for Wynnum and defended in the ruck and just got things done.

Carrigan is a leader in every team he plays, Hodges had no choice but to make him captain this year and he was sensational even his speech after the 20's Origin screamed class. He was great all week, I have never seen a more accomplished young leader.

Bullemor is very similar to Carrigan in smarts and ability. Carrigan reminds me of later day Parker a bit.

Hopefully he'll be a long term player for us, you always need footballers to balance the athletes.

He's an OP 1 student to boot and is captain material. Hope we somehow keep him around. Bullemore is another OP 1 forward, we need some blokes with smarts that can apply it on the field ala Smith, Slater and Crank.

He's an OP 1 student to boot and is captain material. Hope we somehow keep him around. Bullemore is another OP 1 forward, we need some blokes with smarts that can apply it on the field ala Smith, Slater and Crank.
Need someone with smarts in a position that matters also.

Why are you mentioning that he townsville pack had nrl players in it? Didnt you recently bag someone for picking the bulldogs over the dolphins in the super state championship because you jumped to the conclusion that they used first grade players as a barometer for which team would win? Yet it qualifies as a reason to imply the pack carrigan went up against is good, isnt that a bit of a contradiction?

Just thought I will start to point out your errors/contradictions, however irrelivant they are to the discussion, as it seems to be a hobby of yours to do to other posters on here.

Why are you mentioning that he townsville pack had nrl players in it? Didnt you recently bag someone for picking the bulldogs over the dolphins in the super state championship because you jumped to the conclusion that they used first grade players as a barometer for which team would win? Yet it qualifies as a reason to imply the pack carrigan went up against is good, isnt that a bit of a contradiction?

Just thought I will start to point out your errors/contradictions, however irrelivant they are to the discussion, as it seems to be a hobby of yours to do to other posters on here.

I mentioned it because he is a young player with no NRL experience and he stood up against much more experienced players. I used Carney as well- great that a young forward was able to withstand a NRL and Origin half trying to catch him out all day.

Did I say it guaranteed Townsville a win by 20 or the Pride for that matter?

You're focusing on the wrong part- The assumption of winning is the issue not acknowledging NRL games. If Storm dropped Smith back to Easts and someone said Easts will win by 20- I'd say you're just basing that on Smith. But if Souths did win over an Easts side with Smith I'd definitely by mentioning it as a monumental win.

Now if old mate had said I've watched plenty of ISC and ISP this year and these are the players and the reasons I think Bulldogs will win and given game examples- well respect to be won there Big Pete style.

Unread

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • barker
  • Lozza
  • BroncoFan94
  • Hurrijo
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.