2019 Broncos Line-up

Brisbane star Jordan Kahu considering shock move to rugby union
BRONCOS back Jordan Kahu is weighing up a shock defection to rugby union as Brisbane’s salary cap squeeze threatens to push another player out of Red Hill.
The Broncos have already released Test star Josh McGuire to North Queensland and are willing to part ways with former Kiwi representative Alex Glenn if he can secure a deal with the Gold Coast Titans.
Kahu could be the next Broncos player to exit as doubts hover over his future at the club.
Kahu, 27, is contracted to the Broncos until the end of next season, but Brisbane will not stand in his way if he can secure a deal elsewhere.
afb2048a9c2bd4c763167622e8e93d25

media_cameraKahu is expected to leave the club. AAP Image/Dave Hunt.
Kahu was shopped to the Titans, however the Gold Coast is unlikely to make a play for him after snaring Manly centre Brian Kelly to replace Konrad Hurrell.
The New Zealand-born and raised Kahu could end up at another NRL franchise, possibly the Warriors, but a rugby union code switch has emerged as a genuine option.
Kahu grew up playing the 15-man code and told The Courier-Mail last year he had plans to return to the game.
“I will go back to union one day,” Kahu said.
“Growing up as a union boy, it’s in my blood and I don’t think I’d ever be satisfied if I didn’t really go back and at least try.
“I love rugby, I watch it most weekends. Every big game I watch and a lot of boys I grew up with are playing at a high level so I enjoy supporting them as well.
“I don’t have to play it on a professional level. Even if it’s when I’m finished with league, I just want to go back and have a run around and make sure I can still play rugby.”
If Kahu wants to have a crack at professional rugby this may be his last chance.
c26075e38d1d7f536148f95caddec5c4

media_cameraCould Kahu change codes? AAP Image/Dave Hunt.
While the early years of his NRL career were plagued by knee injuries, he strung together three solid seasons (2015-17) before being limited to 15 games this year following a broken jaw.
Kahu cut his teeth as a fullback in rugby and has the ability to kick goals, making him an ideal candidate to switch codes.
However he does have unfinished business in the NRL.
A keen blogger, Kahu has written about his burning desire to play 100 games for the Broncos after overcoming so many setbacks early in his career.
He is sitting on 95 NRL games heading into the final season of his current contract with the Broncos.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...n/news-story/5ef41b37c1bbc5af90bcde16004342fe

I could genuinly see either Turpin or Niko be our 9 by mid next season if the Seibold switch happens for 2019. I don’t think Macca suits the Seibold attacking style as seen by the Burgess boys and Cook. Imagine Niko’s speed out of dummy half with quick play the balls from our young forwards. Chuck in a fit and firing Milford and Roberts and we will be lethal.
I guess a lot will depend on how O’Sullivan is used.
Maybe I am dreaming, but I think that could see us be an actual premiership threat.

I could genuinly see either Turpin or Niko be our 9 by mid next season if the Seibold switch happens for 2019. I don’t think Macca suits the Seibold attacking style as seen by the Burgess boys and Cook. Imagine Niko’s speed out of dummy half with quick play the balls from our young forwards. Chuck in a fit and firing Milford and Roberts and we will be lethal.
I guess a lot will depend on how O’Sullivan is used.
Maybe I am dreaming, but I think that could see us be an actual premiership threat.

**** me, if by some remote chance Cook, along with Seibs, joined us for 2019 we would be lethal AF I reckon.

With the warriors looking elsewhere reg Johnson, does anyone think they might have a go at getting Niko over there ?
Wouldn’t surprise me one bit

With the warriors looking elsewhere reg Johnson, does anyone think they might have a go at getting Niko over there ?
Wouldn’t surprise me one bit

If it would mean us getting one Shaun Johnson in return then I will personally give Nikko a lift out to the airport. Don't get me wrong, nice guy and all and loyal AF. But we ain't winning no premierships with him as our halfback that's for certain.

Last edited:
we ain't winning no premierships with him as our halfback that's for certain

Disagree. The Broncs aren't winning any premierships with Macca as an 80 minute hooker, that's about as certain as it gets but KNik has shown steady improvement throughout the year to the point where he starred in his last halfback start and was really good in the other two games as well. I put a lot of Kodi and the halves woes down to the coach, there I said it.

I think if you look at Kodi as the 6 and Milf as the 7 in the traditional sense of the numbers, they are actually quite well suited if Milf can back up what he produced this season, he's turning into a gun 7. NZ showed what a more open-minded coach can do with two effective running halves with one having a more than servicable kicking game - carbon copy of the Broncs halves.

Disagree. The Broncs aren't winning any premierships with Macca as an 80 minute hooker, that's about as certain as it gets but KNik has shown steady improvement throughout the year to the point where he starred in his last halfback start and was really good in the other two games as well. I put a lot of Kodi and the halves woes down to the coach, there I said it.

I think if you look at Kodi as the 6 and Milf as the 7 in the traditional sense of the numbers, they are actually quite well suited if Milf can back up what he produced this season, he's turning into a gun 7. NZ showed what a more open-minded coach can do with two effective running halves with one having a more than servicable kicking game - carbon copy of the Broncs halves.

I tell you what, you've almost changed my opinion with your counter-argument. Agree completely about Bennett's tactics, or lack thereof, certainly not helping matters.

Still not convinced about Kodi though. One good showing in a nothing game against a depleted England side doesn't make up for all those games he went missing this year. Again, a shitty tactical game plan by the 'Master' probably played a part too.

Just saw the legends of broncos team via Wendell’s insta. Those jerseys are the goods

We should have a fair bit of coin if we piss off Thaiday, Sims, McGuire, Glenn & Kahu in the same off-season, without bringing anyone of note in. Suddenly guys like Cook & Johnson wouldn't just be a pipe dream, they'd be actually plausible options.

Suddenly guys like Cook & Johnson wouldn't just be a pipe dream, they'd be actually plausible options.

Bloody hell mate, why did you have to go and say something like that! Now I've got all this mess to clean up! *looks around for the tissues*

Last edited:
We should have a fair bit of coin if we piss off Thaiday, Sims, McGuire, Glenn & Kahu in the same off-season, without bringing anyone of note in. Suddenly guys like Cook & Johnson wouldn't just be a pipe dream, they'd be actually plausible options.

If we are going after Cook then surely we would be looking to offload McCullough as well which would free up even more space. That sounds too good to be true haha. I do think Kodi could be a good dummy half though. He would cause a lot of grief for opposing teams and I love his competitiveness.

I also think Johnson would be a good fit for us over the next 2-3 years while our young halves continue their development.

If we are going after Cook then surely we would be looking to offload McCullough as well which would free up even more space. That sounds too good to be true haha. I do think Kodi could be a good dummy half though. He would cause a lot of grief for opposing teams and I love his competitiveness.

I also think Johnson would be a good fit for us over the next 2-3 years while our young halves continue their development.
He's also shown his best asset is putting guys into holes with his passing game..

That squad is pretty legendary. Scott Minto towers over Wendell !

Just watchin the live stream now. I'm not even joking when I say this but seriously, Scott Prince would lead us around the park better than Kodi. The man still has it judging by what I am seeing here. It just makes you remember what a real halfback looks like. I miss those times.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Ondi
  • broncoscope
  • Midean
  • Santa
  • the_next
  • Tim K
  • Bucking Beads
  • johnny plath
  • Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.