2023 State of Origin Discussion

bit of an old article and behind a paywall( McHunt McHunt would know what it says as our resident Murdoch subscriber) but interesting none the less:

https://www.couriermail.com.au/subscribe/news/1/?sourceCode=CMWEB_WRE170_a_GGL&dest=https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-round-14-cronulla-sharks-vs-brisbane-broncos-herbie-farnworth-wants-to-play-origin/news-story/b48a8ca3d0ba28892794d42d3932a240&memtype=anonymous&mode=premium&v21=dynamic-high-control-score&V21spcbehaviour=append&cdpscore=0.7&dt=1686841621

Essentially under the old rules of eligibility before the current ones Herbie would have been eligible for QLD as he joined Burleigh Bears at age 14 even if it was for a knockout competition, but his Tier 1 choice of playing for England has stopped that.

Not sure what Origin eligibility they are eluding to change though.

I would assume considering how long he has stayed in Australia he would have Dual citizenship as well at this point.

Not sure what Origin eligibility they are eluding to change though.

Players representing other Tier 1 nations can be eligible to play Origin, but even if they bring that in, Herbie is still not eligible.

Players representing other Tier 1 nations can be eligible to play Origin, but even if they bring that in, Herbie is still not eligible.
Yeah figure they are just click baiting for Broncos fans as usual for Courier Murdoch.

JT2 would obviously be the biggest change if that happened.

Yeah figure they are just click baiting for Broncos fans as usual for Courier Murdoch.

JT2 would obviously be the biggest change if that happened.
Don't think he's eligible under the current rules either. Same with Kikau.

Think they weren't here young enough to qualify... might be 12 or 13 or something?

I think it used to be first rep team under 16 or something, which is why GI was eligible for Qld... but NSWRL obviously got shitty with that one player not being able to play for a state that he doesn't give a shit about, so the current rules favour NSWRL.

The current rules are why Keary can't play for Qld, even though he doesn't want to play for NSW.

Don't think he's eligible under the current rules either. Same with Kikau.

Think they weren't here young enough to qualify... might be 12 or 13 or something?

I think it used to be first rep team under 16 or something, which is why GI was eligible for Qld... but NSWRL obviously got shitty with that one player not being able to play for a state that he doesn't give a shit about, so the current rules favour NSWRL.

The current rules are why Keary can't play for Qld, even though he doesn't want to play for NSW.
He came when he was 12 so he would be eligible, Kikau isn't he came to Australia in his late teens.

The rules stopping Keary being QLD eligible are stupid, there should atleast be a Birth clause in the rules.

I don't know if he didn't want to play for NSW though, he already played a game for them.

So bored, and it's so tiresome with everyone referring to Mitchell as 'selfless'. They said all this before Game 1 too. He isn't selfless .. he is just supposedly 'injured'. 🙄

Selfless would be Mitchell fully fit .. but giving up his spot, so some other player could earn a bit of extra $$'s too. 🙄

Wish they would stop speaking of, and treating him like some kinda god. 🙄

I didn't watch the game and only watched the hilights....but....did Nicho Hynes destroy the doggies way more than Moses did? Just wondering..............

I didn't watch the game and only watched the hilights....but....did Nicho Hynes destroy the doggies way more than Moses did? Just wondering..............
It was a typical Cronulla flat track bully game against a crap side. Nicho didn't too much, the Sharks middle was just rolling through waifer thin D.

It was a typical Cronulla flat track bully game against a crap side. Nicho didn't too much, the Sharks middle was just rolling through waifer thin D.
Some of the efforts from Mahoney were diabolical.

He was a traffic cop directing them straight through the middle

His defence has to come under scrutiny given his technique on Tino a few weeks back and his arm grabbing in this game.

You'd think a 9 that plays 80mins wouldnt be a liability out there, but it's looking very shaky at the moment... perhaps a good call by parra to not retain him

Well that’s was NSW did with Moses.

Yep, and that's why most Qld fans have been snickering under our breath about the selection. Moses is definitely a lot better than he was 5 years ago, I used to hang a lot of shit on him, but he has improved in a lot of areas. But he is still a flat-track bully that needs a fiercely dominant pack to give him space, otherwise (as we have seen plenty of times this year when they struggled) he either disappears or he reverts to the low-percentage hero-plays of no-look passes over the sideline, or balls to no-one in particular. He can on occasion wrestle back momentum with his kicking game, which is one of his most improved areas, but to think Qld are going to give him the time and space to do that is very questionable. He's the epitome of a great club half, which is exactly what NSW goes for an exactly why they keep shitting the bed.

I can't even really advocate for Hynes over him as I see him as more of a #6 (which is why he has great attacking stats and dominates when playing lower teams, but the Sharks don't have the control to take it to the top teams). The glaringly obvious choice, the player who is all about game plan, control, composure, etc was Reynolds. It was hilarious that Reynolds was the one who pulled the strings to expose Hynes deficiencies, yet was overlooked. For a showpony that cemented his place in the NSW team by having an effortless highlight-reel game against the 16th place team.

Some of the efforts from Mahoney were diabolical.

He was a traffic cop directing them straight through the middle

His defence has to come under scrutiny given his technique on Tino a few weeks back and his arm grabbing in this game.

You'd think a 9 that plays 80mins wouldnt be a liability out there, but it's looking very shaky at the moment... perhaps a good call by parra to not retain him
They’re a long way off being contenders, the flashy signings just give them a false aura of relevancy. Even if they hypothetically sign Hunt they will still possess a poor pack, an extremely overrated 9, and an untested 1 in Chricton. I just don’t get the hype around them.

They’re a long way off being contenders, the flashy signings just give them a false aura of relevancy. Even if they hypothetically sign Hunt they will still possess a poor pack, an extremely overrated 9, and an untested 1 in Chricton. I just don’t get the hype around them.

Chequebook-style "rebuild" rarely works. The Knights did it when they signed Ponga as well as any other vaguely-talented young players on overs. Bulldogs started it a couple of years ago with the Addo-Carr and Burton signings, doubled-down with TPJ, Mahoney and Kikau, and are now going even more Panthers with Crighton. Titans have been doing it... forever... but they don't care about premierships, they do it just to give the potential fans a shiny new highlights-reel player every year or two.

The only time it's worked in recent memory was with the Rooster's magical ability to sign multiple marquee players in successive seasons, with the added luck of dead-wood players all conveniently failing drug tests.

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.