2023 State of Origin Discussion

Sportsbet having the bet return promo again where if you place a 2+ leg multi and if any legs fail, you get your money back in the form of a bonus bet.

Anyone got a multi going for this game?

I think I'm going to go with QLD to win. Holmes FTS. Coates, Hammer, JAC, Frizell ATS.

On Moses, I don't think it was the game against the Dogs that decided it for Freddy from what I've been hearing.

I don't think it mattered what kind of performance Hynes and Reyno put in. I think he was always going to pick him. He's a big fan of Moses.
And Gus told him to, I seriously doubt Dribbler would have an origianl thought in his head

They’re a long way off being contenders, the flashy signings just give them a false aura of relevancy. Even if they hypothetically sign Hunt they will still possess a poor pack, an extremely overrated 9, and an untested 1 in Chricton. I just don’t get the hype around them.

They signed the next super coach apparently and have Gould running things. JAC, Burton, Kikau and that guy from Police Academy. They were always going to be hyped up.

TBF, they've got the bones of a good side there. It remains to be seen how Crichton will go though and they really need a controlling 7 because Burton aint it.

The Dogs glaring issue for me though is that there's zero improvement and their attitude in general, stinks. Some of those defensive 'efforts'...well, 'effort' is too charitable. Ciraldo has not got them gelling as a team and nor has he got them buying in, at this point. We're a long way into the year to be showing no improvement whatsoever.

But hey, fill a team with mercenaries and this is what you get. The existing Dogs get the shits cos their mates are being pushed out and the 'superstars' don't gel as a team. It's the worst way to go about building a high-performing team.

Chequebook-style "rebuild" rarely works. The Knights did it when they signed Ponga as well as any other vaguely-talented young players on overs. Bulldogs started it a couple of years ago with the Addo-Carr and Burton signings, doubled-down with TPJ, Mahoney and Kikau, and are now going even more Panthers with Crighton. Titans have been doing it... forever... but they don't care about premierships, they do it just to give the potential fans a shiny new highlights-reel player every year or two.

The only time it's worked in recent memory was with the Rooster's magical ability to sign multiple marquee players in successive seasons, with the added luck of dead-wood players all conveniently failing drug tests.
The chequebook style requires a good set of juniors coming through behind them.

It's unsustainable to keep paying overs to bring players in, unless you're the rorters, so you need to be able to supplement the new recruits with good juniors coming through, that build on those big name signings.

With Newcastle they bought Ponga, but they keep losing the best talent from the area to everyone else... Latrell, Cordner, etc. are from the area, but they never seem to end up at the knights.

Tigers are talking up their current crop of juniors coming through, so we'll see how that ends up, but Bula looks a very good talent. The Tigers big challenge will be locking up a player like him, who they can possibly build around, but that is easier said than done in the competitive Sydney environment. Their next big obstacle will be hoping that a halfback is coming through their current crop.

It's working at the moment for the broncs, because we do identify very good prospects, but we needed the leadership around them, because that's how it always worked for us. Our challenge will be ensuring Patty, Walsh, Haas, Riki, etc. form a new leadership group and culture at the club for the next crop of juniors to come through... at the moment they are all still very young (all of them are sub 100 games), and Reyno and Capewell are nearing retirement, so they'll need to step up soon.

Sproj Sproj have you done a Game II combined team yet?

I'm thinking:

1. Walsh v Teddy: Toss of a coin potentially. Walsh is in far better form and had a great origin debut, but it's only one origin game and I don't think he was tested all that much under the high ball. Teddy has been struggling in attack, but is very solid under the high ball (unless Collins is coming after it). Are NSW taking Walsh over Teddy? probably not. Are Qld taking Teddy over Walsh? possibly. So I'd say Teddy gets it on that. However, if Walsh has another good game and Qld win the series, then Teddy's time might quickly be running out.

2. Right wing (Coates vs To'o): To'o all day
3. Right centre (Val vs Turbo): Val looked pretty shaky against Crichton in Game 1 and that's where their points came from. Turbo didn't look the best, but they didn't really give him much ball. I'd say Turbo makes both sides if available.
4. Left centre (Hammer vs Crichton)... I'd say Hammer. He had a great defensive game against Turbo and came up with 2 tries. Crichton played well against Val and had him covered for most of the night, but he was effectively third choice for NSW.
5. Left Wing (JAC vs Taulagi): I'd say JAC pretty easily

6. Munster over Luai easily
7. Cherry vs Moses: Possibly a toss of the coin, but Cherry has runs on the board at this level. If Moses was a Qld'er he has probably already taken Cherry's jersey and playing near 10 origins... but he's pretty well untested at origin level and hasn't always stepped up to big games over the course of his career, but that is changing a bit over the last year or so with an ability to constantly compete against penrith and storm and making it to the GF

8 / 10. Haas easily gets one of the spots, even though he hasn't really stepped up to the origin level as yet. He still gets through a mountain of work, and even for the broncos you can see him step it up a gear when his role in the team is known. For the other starting spot I'm going Tino over Paulo... Tino is becoming a big time player for Qld and I don't think that can be overlooked
9. Bhunt all day over Cook
11. Left edge forward (Fifita vs Hudson Young): Fifita pretty easily... it is being suggested that Martin or Murray might start, but I'm thinking Fifita gets it over Murray (playing out of position) and then toss of a coin against Martin, only because he's coming back from injury and hasn't really been playing second row for much of the year. Martin is probably NSW best 'origin' forward though
12. Right edge forward (Nanai vs Frizzel): Bit of a toss of the coin, given Nanai has delivered at origin level, but doesn't have a lot of experience. Frizzel isn't really an automatic pick for NSW and was a bit left field. I think probably Nanai when it's out of those two.
13. Patty vs Yeo: I think this one is a bit of a toss of the coin. To me Yeo is the best lock at club land, but is he the best lock at origin level. I'd say Murray would probably out perform him at origin level, and Patty won player of the series at that position last year. Would Qld take Yeo over Patty? possibly not, given how much of a leader Patty is already becoming. Would NSW take Patty over Yeo or Murray? probably not. I think this one has to go to Yeo, because I could see both Qld and NSW pushing Patty back to the bench if they were both available for selection.

14. Utility (Harry vs Robson): Harry easily
15/16/17. I'm probably only taking Cotter over Uto, but I'm easily taking Murray and Martin for the other two bench spots.

So my team is:
1. Teddy
2. To'o
3. Turbo
4. Hammer
5. JAC
6. Munster
7. Cherry
8. Haas
9. Bhunt
10. Tino
11. Fifita
12. Nanai
13. Yeo

14. Harry
15. Murray
16. Martin
17. Cotter

8 NSW to 9 Qld... Qld have the key spine positions pretty well locked down, but pure forwards are split 50/50 when the bench is taken into account and NSW have by far the better outside backs.

If Qld don't turn up or any form of complacency sets in, then NSW definitely have a team that can trouble us.

Sproj Sproj have you done a Game II combined team yet?

I'm thinking:

1. Walsh v Teddy: Toss of a coin potentially. Walsh is in far better form and had a great origin debut, but it's only one origin game and I don't think he was tested all that much under the high ball. Teddy has been struggling in attack, but is very solid under the high ball (unless Collins is coming after it). Are NSW taking Walsh over Teddy? probably not. Are Qld taking Teddy over Walsh? possibly. So I'd say Teddy gets it on that. However, if Walsh has another good game and Qld win the series, then Teddy's time might quickly be running out.

2. Right wing (Coates vs To'o): To'o all day
3. Right centre (Val vs Turbo): Val looked pretty shaky against Crichton in Game 1 and that's where their points came from. Turbo didn't look the best, but they didn't really give him much ball. I'd say Turbo makes both sides if available.
4. Left centre (Hammer vs Crichton)... I'd say Hammer. He had a great defensive game against Turbo and came up with 2 tries. Crichton played well against Val and had him covered for most of the night, but he was effectively third choice for NSW.
5. Left Wing (JAC vs Taulagi): I'd say JAC pretty easily

6. Munster over Luai easily
7. Cherry vs Moses: Possibly a toss of the coin, but Cherry has runs on the board at this level. If Moses was a Qld'er he has probably already taken Cherry's jersey and playing near 10 origins... but he's pretty well untested at origin level and hasn't always stepped up to big games over the course of his career, but that is changing a bit over the last year or so with an ability to constantly compete against penrith and storm and making it to the GF

8 / 10. Haas easily gets one of the spots, even though he hasn't really stepped up to the origin level as yet. He still gets through a mountain of work, and even for the broncos you can see him step it up a gear when his role in the team is known. For the other starting spot I'm going Tino over Paulo... Tino is becoming a big time player for Qld and I don't think that can be overlooked
9. Bhunt all day over Cook
11. Left edge forward (Fifita vs Hudson Young): Fifita pretty easily... it is being suggested that Martin or Murray might start, but I'm thinking Fifita gets it over Murray (playing out of position) and then toss of a coin against Martin, only because he's coming back from injury and hasn't really been playing second row for much of the year. Martin is probably NSW best 'origin' forward though
12. Right edge forward (Nanai vs Frizzel): Bit of a toss of the coin, given Nanai has delivered at origin level, but doesn't have a lot of experience. Frizzel isn't really an automatic pick for NSW and was a bit left field. I think probably Nanai when it's out of those two.
13. Patty vs Yeo: I think this one is a bit of a toss of the coin. To me Yeo is the best lock at club land, but is he the best lock at origin level. I'd say Murray would probably out perform him at origin level, and Patty won player of the series at that position last year. Would Qld take Yeo over Patty? possibly not, given how much of a leader Patty is already becoming. Would NSW take Patty over Yeo or Murray? probably not. I think this one has to go to Yeo, because I could see both Qld and NSW pushing Patty back to the bench if they were both available for selection.

14. Utility (Harry vs Robson): Harry easily
15/16/17. I'm probably only taking Cotter over Uto, but I'm easily taking Murray and Martin for the other two bench spots.

So my team is:
1. Teddy
2. To'o
3. Turbo
4. Hammer
5. JAC
6. Munster
7. Cherry
8. Haas
9. Bhunt
10. Tino
11. Fifita
12. Nanai
13. Yeo

14. Harry
15. Murray
16. Martin
17. Cotter

8 NSW to 9 Qld... Qld have the key spine positions pretty well locked down, but pure forwards are split 50/50 when the bench is taken into account and NSW have by far the better outside backs.

If Qld don't turn up or any form of complacency sets in, then NSW definitely have a team that can trouble us.

Well I’m currently in the land of long fences. Sorry for the delay. I think you’ve nailed it and if you want to put in that much wonderful effort, I’m very happy to pass the baton. This is amazing work!

But if we are going in current form as opposed to career rating, I’m going:

1. Walsh (QLD)
2. Taulagi (QLD)
3. Turbo (NSW)
4. Hammer (QLD)
5. To’o (NSW)
6. Munster (QLD)
7. DCE (QLD)
8. Collins (QLD)
9. Cook (NSW)
10. Haas (NSW)
11. Fifita (QLD)
12. Can we say neither?
13. Carrigan (QLD)

14. Grant (QLD)
15. Murray (NSW)
16. Martin (NSW)
17. Cotter (QLD)

I have it 10-7 to QLD.

Well I’m currently in the land of long fences. Sorry for the delay. I think you’ve nailed it and if you want to put in that much wonderful effort, I’m very happy to pass the baton. This is amazing work!

But if we are going in current form as opposed to career rating, I’m going:

1. Walsh (QLD)
2. Taulagi (QLD)
3. Turbo (NSW)
4. Hammer (QLD)
5. To’o (NSW)
6. Munster (QLD)
7. DCE (QLD)
8. Collins (QLD)
9. Cook (NSW)
10. Haas (NSW)
11. Fifita (QLD)
12. Can we say neither?
13. Carrigan (QLD)

14. Grant (QLD)
15. Murray (NSW)
16. Martin (NSW)
17. Cotter (QLD)

I have it 10-7 to QLD.
I was only giving it a crack, because I think the team NSW has put out is only considered outsiders purely because of Suncorp and wanted to see if the head to heads would favour one side or the other, which it doesn't seem like it does despite what the bookies are thinking.

Can you actually cash in the bonus bet ?
A lot of these gambling bonuses are just play money that stays in the system . To keep people gambling . No real cash .
Some would even say it's an extremely effective way to give charity to gambling companies who need all the help they can get.

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.