Andrew McCullough - The Great Enigma

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
I do wonder when McCullough is gonna have the heat on him, most of the people that praised him all seem to be a lot more reserved with his development or are outright off the bandwagon entirely. At one stage I guess we all thought he'd kick on, but he hasn't, so it begs the question - when does he get read the riot act?

Hey [MENTION=1928]Renegade[/MENTION], I thought your post was an interesting one - good enough to make a new thread out of!

Opinion seems to be really divided on here regarding Macca - I don't think anyone can deny he has the potential to be a very valuable player for us, but the big question is, will he ever realise that potential?

How long has he been in first grade now? It's about time he stepped up and started consistently putting in quality displays. He's still relatively young, but for the amount of experience he's had, he needs to be offering us more IMO.

He strikes me as being far too comfortable.

Ahhh so that's what happened to it!

I thought I had posted it in the rumours thread and then I refreshed it was gone - I was sure I was going insane.

No worries ning, you can delete my repost as well. :D

Good question Renegade. I'm firmly in the he's way over-hyped camp, always spoken up every pre season to be "his year" yet he's yet to produce any consistently good form and he's now played over 100 first grade games so it's not excuse that he's young.

NEEDS to be dumped IMO, needs to go to reserve for a few weeks so he can get the idea that his spot isn't guaranteed and needs to have a proper bench hooker pressuring his position instead of a wannabe halfback who has no interest in getting the #9 fulltime.

Enigma: a person, thing, or situation that is mysterious, puzzling, or ambiguous

Maybe we should ask our forwards what they think

For mine, the enigma is less Macca and more that we waste good bench space with Hunt.

Haha Renegade... We tend to do a bit of that post relocating stuff. Great idea btw Ning, this is definitely worth the discussion!

Re Macca. I really like the kid, he has heart and a footy brain to start with, which is a big plus in my book. He unfortunately also lacks speed, which unfortunately cannot be taught, and is an important, if not essential element in a hooker, which is why I would put Wallace there as soon as we have a good pair of halves, which I know... is easier said than done.
The only other spot I can see Macca comfortable enough at is at lock. He has the size (might need to bulk up a little) and the tackling technique for it, plus he obviously has ball playing skills to make things interesting.

There are a couple of problems with the above:
- Parker is the best lock in the competition at the moment, although... maybe he could successfully be moved to the front row?
- As said before, there aren't any worthwhile halves in the market, and I don't think Hunt cuts it, so we can't move Wallace either.

For now, Macca needs to keep the opposition guessing as to what he's going to do, and he can be pretty good at that when he's on, simply by mixing it up between kicks deep behind the defense, darts from dummy half before passing to a rampaging forward, dummies (but not too many and well timed), grubber kicks at the try line (again, well timed and positioned), and passing to his halves from the fucking ground (that he can train!).

I know he is no Cam Smith, who is a master at all of the above, but he can certainly get closer...

Good question Renegade. I'm firmly in the he's way over-hyped camp, always spoken up every pre season to be "his year" yet he's yet to produce any consistently good form and he's now played over 100 first grade games so it's not excuse that he's young.

I have been a supporter of McCullough's over the years, but that right there is the worrying thing. I am concerned he's hit his ceiling, and there's just no improvement in him. It'd almost be better than the alternative, which is that he's been too coddled and feels too safe and can't be assed working any harder at his game.

I'd like to see him replaced in the short-term. If that means a stint in Q-Cup and he improves, then I'd be open to a return to first grade at the Broncs. If it means he takes his 'talents' elsewhere, I wouldn't be that sad.

I'm going to copy pasta what I wrote in my broncos clearout post, cause it's how I feel about him.

Andrew McCullough - Riot act. pick your **** up immediately or you are going back to Q Cup and your contract won't be renewed. For too long he has been cotton wooled by the fact he's young, still can't play 80mins etc etc. Time's up, he is 23 this year and will have had 4 or 5 seasons of first grade experience, no more excuses.

I'll probably expand further later on but I'm interested to see the consensus on him, for me he's used his get out of jail free cards, sink or swim mate. I totally agree with Ning who said he looks comfortable, everytime I see his shit-eating grin on Broncos ads I just want to leap through the TV and strangle the uncreative motherf**ker.

Last edited:
I'm going to copy pasta what I wrote in my broncos clearout post, cause it's how I feel about him.

Andrew McCullough - Riot act. pick your **** up immediately or you are going back to Q Cup and your contract won't be renewed. For too long he has been cotton wooled by the fact he's young, still can't play 80mins etc etc. Time's up, he is 23 this year and will have had 4 or 5 seasons of first grade experience, no more excuses.

I'll probably expand further later on but I'm interested to see the consensus on him, for me he's used his get out of jail free cards, sink or swim mate. I totally agree with Ning who said he looks comfortable, everytime I see his ****-eating grin on Broncos ads I just want to leap through the TV and strangle the uncreative motherf**ker.

Wow. Just wow. So much anger towards someone you know nothing about.

Would love to see him dropped actually. Would provide some perspective to people on how this team looks without him and that Baptiste isn't the messiah he is talked up to be. Macca has a lot of stuff he needs to fix but I think people are getting pretty carried away in their assessment of him

I know he's a shit, uncreative hooker in the team I support - I don't need to know much else. The fact he has a shit eating grin is purely a personal view, but his appearances in those ads actually help support the theory that he's comfortable at the Broncos therefore his performances and development have stagnated.

I mean, the Broncos aren't exactly going to whip out Dale Copley or Nick Slyney to advertise their home games, are they? So, by being asked to help advertise upcoming fixtures for television promotions, you'd think if you were asked to take part, you'd probably be considered one of the more senior members of the playing group and one that is essentially a bigger, more reputable name. Ie, you've made it, therefore comfort sets in.

I know he's a ****, uncreative hooker in the team I support - I don't need to know much else. The fact he has a **** eating grin is purely a personal view, but his appearances in those ads actually help support the theory that he's comfortable at the Broncos therefore his performances and development have stagnated.

I mean, the Broncos aren't exactly going to whip out Dale Copley or Nick Slyney to advertise their home games, are they? So, by being asked to help advertise upcoming fixtures for television promotions, you'd think if you were asked to take part, you'd probably be considered one of the more senior members of the playing group and one that is essentially a bigger, more reputable name. Ie, you've made it, therefore comfort sets in.

The don't ask nick slyney to do it because outside of the broncos no one knows who the **** he is.

McCullough does need to have a spell in the reggies as he simply is average at best. I've seen him emulate Cam Smith on occasions but it is far too infrequent, he must be forced to give better service. I like the idea of Wallace at hooker, good hands and solid tackling technique but he is probably too slow as well. Like lots of others on here I am unhappy with the current performances but I must confess I have no answers either. Like another opportunity to see Granville play, preferably on a dry track.

Speed for a hooker is handy but not essential. You cannot tell me Macca is any slower than Smith, and Wallace would be no quicker. If it is speed of passing being talked about then he needs to improve.
My thoughts are that his defence is sound but his attacking game needs improvement. Since the Broncos have no one better to replace him with they should be riding him hard to improve or buy someone else

His defense is up with the best and his scoots only significantly bettered by segeyaro and Luke. Last years kicking game was good. Equal most 40\20s? Although his kicking game this year has been woeful. (our team has zero 40\20s) his vision and direction and ability to get forwards on a role hasn't been anywhere near the top five hookers this season. Unless he massively improves in one or both of these areas he'll be nothing better than average. Just what we need, another average player.

Speed for a hooker is handy but not essential. You cannot tell me Macca is any slower than Smith, and Wallace would be no quicker. If it is speed of passing being talked about then he needs to improve.
My thoughts are that his defence is sound but his attacking game needs improvement. Since the Broncos have no one better to replace him with they should be riding him hard to improve or buy someone else

You're pretty spot on there mate. His service from dummy half needs massive improvement. That forward pass to Prince in the Warriors game was just plain horrible. Also 80 is a must for hookers these days, he ain't a rookie anymore.

Macca imo is an ok hooker who wears his heart on his sleeve but has very limited attacking skills which doesn't take pressure of Wallace and Prince. He seems like a good young man as well and made the Kangaroos train on squad last year after making 996 tackles (2nd highest) and was the Broncos player of the year last year.

I think what's disappointing about McCullough is he was going gangbusters in 20s. Stormed into first grade after Ennis left, and was immediately doing well. People thought "Sky's the limit for this bloke". But basically he's never improved on that first season or two.

The same glaring deficiencies (slow service, laziness in the ruck) are still there, and he's still good for that bone headed mistake once or twice a game (go himself when it's not on, have the ball slapped out of his hands, kick it out on the full).

He's hit a glass ceiling and there's been little or no improvement in him for nearly 3 seasons.

Similar can be said for Ben Hunt, sadly.

And what's worth noting is both were junior and lower grade halves that were highly regarded...yet the Broncos turned them into hookers... with, I would say, very limited success.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Galah
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.