Arrow vs McGuire

I'm angry at Kevvie for not putting McGuire back on who was easily our best forward in the first 20minutes. Having Arrow AND McGuire on the field at the same time would have been something else.

Was a big mistake made here?

McGuire is certainly good for the mongrel that you need in a team to rev up your side and get into the heads of the opposition.....But that's about it. He is way too small physically to be an imposing forward that dominates on his own like a Taumalolo or a Burgess and is infamous amongst Broncos fans for killing attacking momentum with a 4th tackle hitup and zero offloads. He doesn't have much doing between the ears, in other words.

Arrow on the other hand is going great guns for the Titans, has had an amazing Origin series so far in beaten sides, is younger and looks like he'll have a far better upside going forward. I dunno, I'm starting to wonder myself, and I used to rate McGuire.
Arrow is arguably better now and has far more potential upside. Though it was one or the other. They are too similar to each other insofar as body shape and the way the play the game to both be in the team. Who knew he was going to kick on like he has? I didn't expect it personally.

Arrow is arguably better now and has far more potential upside. Though it was one or the other. They are too similar to each other insofar as body shape and the way the play the game to both be in the team. Who knew he was going to kick on like he has? I didn't expect it personally.

No he isn't.

Because they will be more damaging, more skillful. They will have more upside, and that's what we need. We don't need another workhorse with an offload, we have those already and we have another one coming through the ranks.

If I had a choice between a Taumalolo and a Parker, I would take a Taumalolo every day of the week because that's what we are missing. Damaging, skillful forwards that will give us the best chance of success.
You just defeated your argument with that statement. Taumalolo is not winning them games at present because there is no one there doing the dirty work to cover him in defence. You need a balance whether it be a Arrow, moose or Carrigan. This appears to be what the Cowboys are lacking.

Errmm, have you really watched Arrow coming through? He is nothing like Moose as a player. Moose is a prop playing lock, Arrow is a lock playing lock. The only similarities are their body shape.

Errmm, have you really watched Arrow coming through? He is nothing like Moose as a player. Moose is a prop playing lock, Arrow is a lock playing lock. The only similarities are their body shape.
Sure Rover, whatever you say. Do you disagree with me on principle even if you can't fault what I actually say? They are both middle forwards who get through a lot of work but don't provide much in the way of offloads or attacking plays in general.

Sure Rover, whatever you say. Do you disagree with me on principle even if you can't fault what I actually say? They are both middle forwards who get through a lot of work but don't provide much in the way of offloads or attacking plays in general.
You are describing Moose here and not Arrow. Two very different styles. Arrow has a good offload plus gets through plenty of work

No, i disagree with you because you are generally wrong and obviously havent seen much of Arrow. I'm finding huge fault with what you are saying about Jai. He is more like a Corey Parker than a Josh Mcguire, which you would obviously know if you opened your eyes. For example, Moose has made 4 offloads this year, Arrow 20. Hardly not offering much in the way of offloads is it.

Also, your attempts at humorous and witty nicknames for some of us on here is failing miserably. Leave that sort of thing to me. You arent equipped to do it i'm afraid to say.

No, i disagree with you because you are generally wrong and obviously havent seen much of Arrow. I'm finding huge fault with what you are saying about Jai. He is more like a Corey Parker than a Josh Mcguire, which you would obviously know if you opened your eyes. For example, Moose has made 4 offloads this year, Arrow 20. Hardly not offering much in the way of offloads is it.

Also, your attempts at humorous and witty nicknames for some of us on here is failing miserably. Leave that sort of thing to me. You arent equipped to do it i'm afraid to say.
Just on the Parker comparison... did you catch the Arrow offload during origin. On his way down 3 defenders on him and he comes up with a perfect underarm offload as if it was Parker wearing the 13.

That moment made me really disappointed that he's no longer at the broncos... he's going to be a great player.

Arrow is definitely be better than Sims/Thaiday/Ofahengaue at least. I dunno about Haas (potential wise) yet, it's too early to tell. Same with Carrigan.

But for every JT, there's a Cooper or even Lowe (I'm talking 2015), guys that can do the clean up work and offer something else. The Broncs have TPJ, Su'A (will likely get there), Haas and (pre-injury Gillett, although different and often unused skill set).

Everyone say Carrigan will be better (and he may well be) but Arrow has the runs on the board. And even after all that, look at the price tag attached to a JT2 / TPJ (eventually) compared to a Parker. TPJ has also proven he can play anywhere in the forward pack. Arrow isn't even just a workhorse lock, he hits hard (and sticks) as well as having an offload that can become better yet (given his age).

And we already have those players. And we have more coming through the ranks.

And yes, look at the price tag usually attached to those forwards I described and perhaps that will show why Arrow wasn't at the top of the list.

For years the biggest weakness in our pack has been the lack of forwards I described and now we are fixing that. Whether people like it or not, TPJ, Haas and Fifita are the priorities. They are the future. They are what we need to make our pack the dominant pack.

And yes, look at the price tag usually attached to those forwards I described and perhaps that will show why Arrow wasn't at the top of the list.

For years the biggest weakness in our pack has been the lack of forwards I described and now we are fixing that. Whether people like it or not, TPJ, Haas and Fifita are the priorities. They are the future. They are what we need to make our pack the dominant pack.

Of course they are but that’s three players. The other question is, where does Bird sit in all this? If he was bought in to be lock, then that makes even less sense.

Let’s put it this way, which of these packs looks better?

8. Lodge
9. Macca
10. McGuire
11. TPJ
12. Su’A / Gillett
13. Arrow

Or

8. Lodge
9. Macca
10. McGuire
11. TPJ
12. Su’A / Gillett
13. Bird

Then also factor in the price tag.

Of course they are but that’s three players. The other question is, where does Bird sit in all this? If he was bought in to be lock, then that makes even less sense.

Let’s put it this way, which of these packs looks better?

8. Lodge
9. Macca
10. McGuire
11. TPJ
12. Su’A / Gillett
13. Arrow

Or

8. Lodge
9. Macca
10. McGuire
11. TPJ
12. Su’A / Gillett
13. Bird

Then also factor in the price tag.
At present the pack with Arrow has to be the way to go. Bird has never played lock for us and what I've saw of him so far is absolute mince. He may well get better after another op but there is no garuntee. In fact I can honestly say he never impressed me at the Sharks or in origin when he was fit.

Never thought it was a case of Arrow v McGuire - more a case of Arrow v Haas and Fifita. Not talking positional more financial with a look to the future. In saying that I am a big Jai Arrow fan and always have been.

Arrow's departure and the Broncos reluctance to get into a bidding war says more about the talented forwards coming through the ranks then anything(his not the only hardworking forward with a quality offload coming through the ranks) and I don't think Bird was exclusively signed to be lock necessarily either(not saying it's a position you could rule him out for but there was always speculation of him playing a number of positions) so I don't consider him directly at least in competition/replacement for Arrow.

Frankly with what we have seen of Bird this year it's hard to be thrilled with his recruitment considering it's hard to get any accurate reading of where he is truly at given that his entry to the club was hindered with injury, his overweight and then when he did take the field poor form, positional shuffling and injuries would be present, how he responds to this(assuming his still at the club) is open to speculation. I hope for his sake and ours that if he is here next year and beyond it's much more promising.

Arrow and Bird are the least of any concern for the the side in general however, we have more pressing concerns like getting our spine in order. Infact in the scope of things the forwards, especially the players coming through the ranks is the highpoint of our squad and our season in general.

Last edited:

We are not disagreeing with the fact we had other priorities, we are disagreeing with your summation that he does not offer any more than a dime a dozen forward.

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • Lozza
  • Allo
  • Skathen
  • winslow_wong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.