Ben Hunt is overrated

Best post above. Agree with it all. I think Hunt is good for us even if he is in a form slump. But we are lacking a half that controls thae game and that is clear and simple.

I think the reason Hunt has become the whipping boy lately because the only thing he brings is his running game (and it is a great running game to boot) when he is in form. You take away his confidence and form in that area and your not left with much. Like someone spoke of earlier, Hunt doesn't seem to have a basic level of play that he can fall back on when the running game isn't working. That basic level of play can mean organising the middle, making sure players around him understand what's going to happen each set & what he wants from them, being in position for each and every 5th tackle play when we need to play conservative.

Are we wrong to want that from Hunt? Some will say its unfair and point the finger at Milford & McCullouch and wonder why they aren't shouldering the burden. I'm happy to construct a division of labour when it comes to this sort of stuff but at the end of the day McCullouch gets through a hell of a lot of defense up the middle & Milford has the superior playmaking/running game. If Ben Hunt has a future in this team I believe he needs to evolve into the role or I hope were looking at other options after 2017 when hunt will be 28.

I think the reason Hunt has become the whipping boy lately because the only thing he brings is his running game (and it is a great running game to boot) when he is in form. You take away his confidence and form in that area and your not left with much. Like someone spoke of earlier, Hunt doesn't seem to have a basic level of play that he can fall back on when the running game isn't working. That basic level of play can mean organising the middle, making sure players around him understand what's going to happen each set & what he wants from them, being in position for each and every 5th tackle play when we need to play conservative.

Are we wrong to want that from Hunt? Some will say its unfair and point the finger at Milford & McCullouch and wonder why they aren't shouldering the burden. I'm happy to construct a division of labour when it comes to this sort of stuff but at the end of the day McCullouch gets through a hell of a lot of defense up the middle & Milford has the superior playmaking/running game. If Ben Hunt has a future in this team I believe he needs to evolve into the role or I hope were looking at other options after 2017 when hunt will be 28.

An awful lot of TA's for someone that only has a running game...

I'm frustrated we don't have a Cronk, Smith, Thurston, Lockyer or Wally Lewis type player. Alright, they are all different and not just one style but what they have in common is the game management, the ability to genuinely be in charge, calling the shots, steering the ship so to speak. Hunt gets criticism because his position has that as a requirement. When he is on song and all is going well, he is good without being great. I've never thought of him as elite and have always considered him fragile. That's my take on him. It appears he just doesn't have the right stuff to be elite no matter how well he is playing because he is incomplete . That doesn't make him a bad person, few players are genuinely in that class. Endlessly defending his obvious deficiencies is counterproductive. If he doesn't consistently produce at his highest it will be time to look for someone who can do the whole job.

I'm frustrated we don't have a Cronk, Smith, Thurston, Lockyer or Wally Lewis type player. Alright, they are all different and not just one style but what they have in common is the game management, the ability to genuinely be in charge, calling the shots, steering the ship so to speak. Hunt gets criticism because his position has that as a requirement. When he is on song and all is going well, he is good without being great. I've never thought of him as elite and have always considered him fragile. That's my take on him. It appears he just doesn't have the right stuff to be elite no matter how well he is playing because he is incomplete . That doesn't make him a bad person, few players are genuinely in that class. Endlessly defending his obvious deficiencies is counterproductive. If he doesn't consistently produce at his highest it will be time to look for someone who can do the whole job.

Your sort of make him sound a lot like Peter Wallace.

Your sort of make him sound a lot like Peter Wallace.
Peter Wallace's running game and creativity were pretty crap, and he clearly floundered when he lost Lockyer as partner.
Before that however, the partnership was very good, and it is my opinion that we could've won a few premierships with those two, were it not for the injuries to critical players (like Locky) at the worst possible time of the season.

It is my (controversial) opinion, that we would be better served with a Peter Wallace type player partnering Milford, than a Hunt type.

Adam Reynolds for example, would be a very good foil for Milf, but if Taylor keeps playing like this and improves with time and experience, I really hope Wayne has a way of bringing him back, because that would take us to another level imo!

Peter Wallace's running game and creativity were pretty crap, and he clearly floundered when he lost Lockyer as partner.
Before that however, the partnership was very good, and it is my opinion that we could've won a few premierships with those two, were it not for the injuries to critical players (like Locky) at the worst possible time of the season.

It is my (controversial) opinion, that we would be better served with a Peter Wallace type player partnering Milford, than a Hunt type.

Adam Reynolds for example, would be a very good foil for Milf, but if Taylor keeps playing like this and improves with time and experience, I really hope Wayne has a way of bringing him back, because that would take us to another level imo!
You know Porthoz, I was kind of thinking the same way. I was considering what a response to my post might be, what counter argument might be put forth which led me to think about Shane Perry. Perhaps I have given Hunts shortcomings too much weight. It's certainly not his fault he cannot do all the jobs. It maybe that Hunt is not the problem I thought and the real issue was more along the lines you put forward.

You know Porthoz, I was kind of thinking the same way. I was considering what a response to my post might be, what counter argument might be put forth which led me to think about Shane Perry. Perhaps I have given Hunts shortcomings too much weight. It's certainly not his fault he cannot do all the jobs. It maybe that Hunt is not the problem I thought and the real issue was more along the lines you put forward.
In the same way, I think that if the Titans had Hunt instead of Roberts (Tyrone) in their halves, they could become a genuine threat in the comp, even if they lack a good fullback.

Hunt isn't overrated imo, he is actually a very good player, which would improve most teams in the competition.
Unfortunately, he just isn't what the Broncos need at halfback.

Then next QLD origin halves pairing will be milf/taylor

I honestly think Ben Hunt has a current skill set that would better suit him to 5/8th. In fact possibly better than Milford although I believe Milford has a higher ceiling. In saying that I think Hunt has developed some excellent halfback skills he just can't consistently display them, this is likely as it's not his natural skillset.

Yeah this could be a great idea. However are we all jumping the gun. 4 weeks ago Milf was on fire and Hunt was starting to show form. We have the best coach in the world and maybe we just nees to wait and see his work in getting the team right.

Anyone see Mbye kicking tonight? Yikes! Hunt's is not THAT bad!

In the same way, I think that if the Titans had Hunt instead of Roberts (Tyrone) in their halves, they could become a genuine threat in the comp, even if they lack a good fullback.

Hunt isn't overrated imo, he is actually a very good player, which would improve most teams in the competition.
Unfortunately, he just isn't what the Broncos need at halfback.

Who actually overrates these players though?, it's not like you hear any of the players talking themselves up. Have you ever heard Matt Moylan calling himself the next Darren Lockyer for example, it's the media and insiders if you ask me hyping these players up.

Moses Mybe, now there is an overrated player if there ever was one.

I don't know. I mean Mbye is like a 6 being overrated to a 7. Moylan is a 7 being overrated to a Darren Lockyer. That is some serious over-rating.

Active Now

• heartly87
  • Mighty Bronx
  • ChewThePhatt
  • I bleed Maroon
  • MrRobot
  • Allo
  • barker
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.