PLAYER Billy Walters

What role should Billy Walters play?

• Total voters
McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Anyone here especially those going on about it nonstop in the off season admit you are wrong, he has been way beyond what we have paid him this season he is honestly getting to the point he could be pushing rep selection for Origin as a 14, atleast next year if he keeps at it, I would have him above Mahoney at this point, pushing Hunt as Grants rotation.

I will admit I hated him joining us to begin with and saw it as a nepotism signing which from all accounts it probably was to begin with, but he has completely justified it all infact he is easily the best value Hooker in the game for what he is being paid right now, daylight is second.

Give this man some credit, he isn't just Kevvie's son, he is Billy fucking Walters and he is making his mark as his own man.
Excellent game from Billy last night. His best in the Broncos jersey by far. Was I wrong about him? Maybe, but the point I kept trying to make wasn't so much that he couldn't ever do the job, it was what would happen to the team morale if Kevvie kept picking him if he continued to play like last season (hard working, but mediocre). That point kept getting overlooked. It wasn't about immediate nepotism. It was the potential. I think Billy has answered that this year. But it will always hang over his head. It's unavoidable.

As for rep selection? Might be jumping the gun there. He's doing the job fine now, but he's not in Harry Grant's class just yet. His next hurdle is fighting off the Mozer domino effect.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
It’s about context. When you only reply to half of a sentence I posted, ignoring the other half because of your personal feelings….well…..you look like an idiot. sorry for breaking the bad news to you.

Hi.......

Speaking of bad news and looking like an idiot.

ha ha simpsons GIF

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Anyone here especially those going on about it nonstop in the off season admit you are wrong, he has been way beyond what we have paid him this season he is honestly getting to the point he could be pushing rep selection for Origin as a 14, atleast next year if he keeps at it, I would have him above Mahoney at this point, pushing Hunt as Grants rotation.

I will admit I hated him joining us to begin with and saw it as a nepotism signing which from all accounts it probably was to begin with, but he has completely justified it all infact he is easily the best value Hooker in the game for what he is being paid right now, daylight is second.

Give this man some credit, he isn't just Kevvie's son, he is Billy fucking Walters and he is making his mark as his own man.
I still refute the claim of nepotism.

We're a professional business........ nobody gets in the side unless they've earned it.

You think all the share holders would be OK with Kevie saying ...he's my son, he's in the starting 17 because....he's my son.

?

This isn't the juniors u/10's side.

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
Excellent game from Billy last night. His best in the Broncos jersey by far. Was I wrong about him? Maybe, but the point I kept trying to make wasn't so much that he couldn't ever do the job, it was what would happen to the team morale if Kevvie kept picking him if he continued to play like last season (hard working, but mediocre). That point kept getting overlooked. It wasn't about immediate nepotism. It was the potential. I think Billy has answered that this year. But it will always hang over his head. It's unavoidable.

As for rep selection? Might be jumping the gun there. He's doing the job fine now, but he's not in Harry Grant's class just yet. His next hurdle is fighting off the Mozer domino effect.

Cmon mate. You were screaming nepotism! You cant use the argument of his performances last year affecting team morale - when there was far worse performers.

Turpin and Paix weren't outperforming him or setting the world on fire. Kev tried different combos, and appears to have made the right choice for starting 9 out of the troops available. Smoothy is solid and the balance looks right with the minutes between him and BW.

It was a convenient argument for you to dig into about BW because you love sensationalism. He like others has improved leaps and bounds.

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
I'd also add that he's an important member of the team. He's so enthusiastic, always one of the first there to congratulate a team member on a try, he bounces around and provides energy. The guys looked genuinely stoked for him lastnight too.

Best value hooker in the comp, bar none. I wouldn't swap him for anyone. And on a single preseason in the position, too. He's got improvement still yet, which is bloody exciting.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
That double side step for his first try was simply a joy to behold. I actualy clapped for him, and I think Ezra was just a tad salty about Billy 'stealing' the second one but as well that ends well.

To think we nearly hit 60 and Cobbs was not on the score sheet must be a pretty frightening aspect to our opposition.

Gotta make sure I avoid mushrooms when I fly down to my mate's in Canberra for the game. He is not too happy with our current form.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Cmon mate. You were screaming nepotism! You cant use the argument of his performances last year affecting team morale - when there was far worse performers.

Turpin and Paix weren't outperforming him or setting the world on fire. Kev tried different combos, and appears to have made the right choice for starting 9 out of the troops available. Smoothy is solid and the balance looks right with the minutes between him and BW.

It was a convenient argument for you to dig into about BW because you love sensationalism. He like others has improved leaps and bounds.
I don't know what point you're trying to make but I'm sure it's a good one.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
That double side step for his first try was simply a joy to behold. I actualy clapped for him, and I think Ezra was just a tad salty about Billy 'stealing' the second one but as well that ends well.

To think we nearly hit 60 and Cobbs was not on the score sheet must be a pretty frightening aspect to our opposition.

Gotta make sure I avoid mushrooms when I fly down to my mate's in Canberra for the game. He is not too happy with our current form.
Yes, I hope this game was a turning point for him. That first try was perfection.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I'd also add that he's an important member of the team. He's so enthusiastic, always one of the first there to congratulate a team member on a try, he bounces around and provides energy. The guys looked genuinely stoked for him lastnight too.

Best value hooker in the comp, bar none. I wouldn't swap him for anyone. And on a single preseason in the position, too. He's got improvement still yet, which is bloody exciting.
I wouldn't put too much weight in a player's value. If he seems cheap, he deserves an upgrade. Even moreso with Walsh.

B

Bongo

NRL Player
Oct 10, 2013
I still refute the claim of nepotism.

We're a professional business........ nobody gets in the side unless they've earned it.

You think all the share holders would be OK with Kevie saying ...he's my son, he's in the starting 17 because....he's my son.

?

This isn't the juniors u/10's side.
Totally agree. Not like he was being paid more than he deserved. He is paid as a squad player and was performing as one. Every coach get prerogative on those types of signings that fill up a squad. I thought he showed enough at the Tigers to be a good signing. Of late he is exceeding that. Helps that people around him have been performing too.

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
I wouldn't put too much weight in a player's value. If he seems cheap, he deserves an upgrade. Even moreso with Walsh.
I absolutely put weight in a player's value. There's a salary cap. The more value players you have, the better chance of winning the comp. As opposed to having overpaid plebs preventing you from putting better players around them.

On form he probably does deserve an upgrade. And if it's the right thing to do, for player and club, I have faith the club will do it.

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
Hi.......

Speaking of bad news and looking like an idiot.

ha ha simpsons GIF
Gotta love how his fans wait for him to have a field day before the posts like this come out. At least you don’t need to fall back on “BUt tHeRE waS LiTerAllY nOBoDy ElsE on ThE mArkEt” argument anymore. Haven’t heard that one in a while. We could win the gf and I’d still be right. Go billy! We should sack mozer next.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
This nepotism angle goes to shit the second the player performs his role at an adequate level, however he was doing that anyway. He is getting to the above average level now, must be quite embarrassing for a few of you.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
I think BW just needed some time to grow into the role. This is his first season as a full-time hooker. I actually feel he saved our bacon playing hooker for us last year. Turpin was injured and paix couldn't handle more than 20 minutes defending in the middle. We were pretty well out of options. Watching Billy string together great back to back performances is wonderful. It seems the forwards are starting to sync with him too with carrigan backing up one of his darts from dummy half. That kick should have been a 40/20 if it wasn't for guthos elite positioning at the back as well.

What a story it would be if kevy and Billy beat ivan and Nathan in the gf. Everyone was literally laughing at the thought of it last year and now in such a short time, it's on the cards.

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • Jedhead
  • Financeguy
  • RolledOates
  • Jazza
  • Lurker
  • broncos4life
  • teampjta
  • mieko
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.