PLAYER Billy Walters

What role should Billy Walters play?

• Total voters
Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Gotta love how his fans wait for him to have a field day before the posts like this come out. At least you don’t need to fall back on “BUt tHeRE waS LiTerAllY nOBoDy ElsE on ThE mArkEt” argument anymore. Haven’t heard that one in a while. We could win the gf and I’d still be right. Go billy! We should sack mozer next.
Mad Salt Shaker GIF by SportsManias

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Excellent game from Billy last night. His best in the Broncos jersey by far. Was I wrong about him? Maybe, but the point I kept trying to make wasn't so much that he couldn't ever do the job, it was what would happen to the team morale if Kevvie kept picking him if he continued to play like last season (hard working, but mediocre). That point kept getting overlooked. It wasn't about immediate nepotism. It was the potential. I think Billy has answered that this year. But it will always hang over his head. It's unavoidable.

As for rep selection? Might be jumping the gun there. He's doing the job fine now, but he's not in Harry Grant's class just yet. His next hurdle is fighting off the Mozer domino effect.

How long ago did he have his knee put back together ?
2nd season after is often when players get back to earlier standards or exceed .

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Well I was def fence sitting on BW but the guy has worked his arse off to make the conversion to hooker and improved exponentially this year. We are reaping thhe benefits so more power to him.
Our Gf chances hinged as much on him making that leap as Walsh and Reyno and here we are.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I absolutely put weight in a player's value. There's a salary cap. The more value players you have, the better chance of winning the comp. As opposed to having overpaid plebs preventing you from putting better players around them.

On form he probably does deserve an upgrade. And if it's the right thing to do, for player and club, I have faith the club will do it.
So when Billy gets his upgrade will you underpay him so that's he's still "cheap?" I think you have to pay players what they're "worth" and hope that worth improves over their contract. Then, ultimately, you're going to have to let the Herbies and Fleglers go because you can't afford to pay what they're "worth."
Some of your players will go on to become marquee signings at other clubs. That's the cycle of a team.

B

Bongo

NRL Player
Oct 10, 2013
So when Billy gets his upgrade will you underpay him so that's he's still "cheap?" I think you have to pay players what they're "worth" and hope that worth improves over their contract. Then, ultimately, you're going to have to let the Herbies and Fleglers go because you can't afford to pay what they're "worth."
Some of your players will go on to become marquee signings at other clubs. That's the cycle of a team.
Billy deserves an upgrade if he holds his current levels. We need to do what Melbourne does and offer fair value in upgrading and if player want top dollar you let them go i.e Addo Carr, Vunivalu, McLean, and Harris. Melbourne do pay top dollar for elite spine but Billy is not elite spine.I get the feeling Billy stays for fair value in any case

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Billy deserves an upgrade if he holds his current levels. We need to do what Melbourne does and offer fair value in upgrading and if player want top dollar you let them go i.e Addo Carr, Vunivalu, McLean, and Harris. Melbourne do pay top dollar for elite spine but Billy is not elite spine.I get the feeling Billy stays for fair value in any case
Yes, with a premiership under his belt he shouldn't be playing for peanuts.

Smoothy is the more interesting one. He comes off contract at the end of the season, and may also have a premiership under his belt. Maybe he's the moneyball player. If Walters goes with Smoothy through the finals, the club should probably let Paix go, and split his salary between Billy and Tyson.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Some players will be willing to sacrifice the absolute top dollar they could earn elsewhere if it means playing in a successful team, particularly some of the fringe first graders / non-big names.

Someone like Billy has been at a club like the Tigers, he would know that sometimes being part of a happy, winning dressing room can be worth a bit of a salary sacrifice.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
I know it's a big what if, but if Ben Hunt gets a release and we take him for the rest of the season, who knows what that does to Billy.

It all works out in the end though, as it has.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Gotta love how his fans wait for him to have a field day before the posts like this come out. At least you don’t need to fall back on “BUt tHeRE waS LiTerAllY nOBoDy ElsE on ThE mArkEt” argument anymore. Haven’t heard that one in a while. We could win the gf and I’d still be right. Go billy! We should sack mozer next.
No different to how you and others wait for him to have a bad game to put the boot in. In fact we don’t see you much unless we lose a game, must be too busy supporting your Dolphin boys.

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013

Yes. He's playing for the club he grew up supporting, with his club hero dad as coach. I have no doubt he will take unders to help keep the club successful.

And of course you have to let the Herbies and Flegs and Palasias go because you can't pay their worth. That's the salary cap, and it's their prerogative to leave if they want to chase the coin. And that's exactly my point - that players like Billy, who are and will remain good value, help in retaining more quality players.

If all the players in the top 30 took 10% less than they are "worth" you effectively have a 110% salary cap and it's completely legal. This is how to build a successful team. And honestly once you take tax etc into account, there's not really a great deal of difference between (for argument's sake) $400k or $440k. But if everyone does it, that's another couple of class players and all of a sudden you have an advantage over other teams.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
I know it's a big what if, but if Ben Hunt gets a release and we take him for the rest of the season, who knows what that does to Billy.

It all works out in the end though, as it has.
That ship has sailed . 8th of August was the deadline I think. Correct me if I'm wrong

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
That ship has sailed . 8th of August was the deadline I think. Correct me if I'm wrong

No doubt, I was saying that if it had have happened, who knows where that leaves Billy for us moving forward.

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
No different to how you and others wait for him to have a bad game to put the boot in. In fact we don’t see you much unless we lose a game, must be too busy supporting your Dolphin boys.
I like the dolphins. Justin doesn’t get a game just because he’s Wayne’s son.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014

You don't see him because he doesn't watch them play.

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
You don't see him because he doesn't watch them play.
Actually one particularly kind hearted poster on bhq has let me log into their Kayo subscription, I’ve been watching of late. Mother Theresa reborn he is I swear!

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Manlyman
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.