Broncos Player Movement and Rumours 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
ENVY ON THE GOLD COAST

Gold Coast Titans coach Garth Brennan has hit his first pot-hole in the NRL with word spreading of player discontent over recruitment.

The league world is a buzz with talk of some Titans players unhappy about Brennan's recruitment of Bryce Cartwright and Mitch Rein on very good deals.

The potential signing of Canberra prop Shannon Boyd on $650,000 a season won't do much to appease the suggestion of jealousy within the group. According to sporting news ( the lurker).
I thought he said that he wanted to go with locals to give the team a local identity. Next minute, he signs half of Penrith.

If you want the Gold Coast to support your local team, give it a Qld flavour and, who knows, you might even drag some supporters in from the likes of Logan, etc.

Cartwright was a fucking stupid recruitment choice. Big money makes it worse. But every team would have players ranging from $100k to almost a million. And a lot of well performing players on not much, and shithouse players on far too much.

Someone needs to tell them that if they want more money, keep performing, or find a better manager.

How much is he on exactly and hes no half IMO.

And a lot of well performing players on not much, and shithouse players on far too much.

Like say, Lodge for the former and Bird very much the latter?

Cartwright is a good buy. The guy is a good player, but just has confidence issues. If they can get his head right he'll be amazing for them imo. Shannon Boyd would be a good buy. They are getting Peachey. Team is building nicely for them imo.

Like say, Lodge for the former and Bird very much the latter?

Precisely. Thankfully we have a strong culture and expectations are set out to players before a boot is laced.

I’d like to be a prick and sink the boot in to Taylor, add his rumoured big head and big salary to the supposed disharmony and jealousy, which is likely what some will take from this, but in all likelihood it’s a beat up. One player has spoken to his manager, the manager has leaked it to try to get the media involved in bumping up their client’s contract, and the media are twisting it to sound like the whole team is collapsing.

If you want the Gold Coast to support your local team, give it a Qld flavour and, who knows, you might even drag some supporters in from the likes of Logan, etc.
Is this really an issue. If you look at our team from this round, its not exactly all Qld, and even less Brisbane. 8 Qld (4 Bris), 6 NSW (regardless of rep rules, Pangai and Sims aren't Qlders), 3 nz. This will change again when Kahu comes back. Not exactly all Qld, but doesn't stop people supporting them, I think those days are gone. Titans this round has 6 Qld (4 GC), 9 NSW (4 GC/ Northern Rivers), 1 Tonga, 1 NZ. So we have 4 'locals', Gold Coast have 8 'locals'. Their problem is they aren't a successful team, not that they don't have a Qld feel.

Is this really an issue. If you look at our team from this round, its not exactly all Qld, and even less Brisbane. 8 Qld (4 Bris), 6 NSW (regardless of rep rules, Pangai and Sims aren't Qlders), 3 nz. This will change again when Kahu comes back. Not exactly all Qld, but doesn't stop people supporting them, I think those days are gone. Titans this round has 6 Qld (4 GC), 9 NSW (4 GC/ Northern Rivers), 1 Tonga, 1 NZ. So we have 4 'locals', Gold Coast have 8 'locals'. Their problem is they aren't a successful team, not that they don't have a Qld feel.
We already have an identity though.

Precisely. Thankfully we have a strong culture and expectations are set out to players before a boot is laced.

I’d like to be a prick and sink the boot in to Taylor, add his rumoured big head and big salary to the supposed disharmony and jealousy, which is likely what some will take from this, but in all likelihood it’s a beat up. One player has spoken to his manager, the manager has leaked it to try to get the media involved in bumping up their client’s contract, and the media are twisting it to sound like the whole team is collapsing.

Or even more likely, it’s fake news and this is almost definitely true given it is the lurker reporting it.

Cartwright is a good buy. The guy is a good player, but just has confidence issues. If they can get his head right he'll be amazing for them imo. Shannon Boyd would be a good buy. They are getting Peachey. Team is building nicely for them imo.
Yeh, I’ll have to disagree on that one.

Can be good in attack, but boy, he likes tackling about as much as Josh Hoffman likes passing.

Honestly, the bloke has to be close to softest I’ve seen when it comes to big blokes defending in the NRL - such a liability.

Yeah I want LESS Qlders in the future, especially with Smith still around (him being idolised and treated as a team mate is the reason why we have a shit record against Melbourne, same deal with JT: Blair was the only one who wasn't afraid to put him on notice back in the day). The Maroons are put before the club for the most part by our QLD reps, which makes me sick.

At the end of the day I watch the NRL to support the Broncos. State of Origin is nice, but it's a glorified exhibition series. Playing for Aus is a higher honour, at least I view it as being a higher honour, doubt the players do.

Edit: Move this titans talk into the Broncos in feeder clubs threads imo.

Sporting News Australia FB page reporting Bird is keen to return to Sydney next season and is “unhappy” at the Broncs.
I guess this isn’t too suprising, I wouldn’t mind if they release him so that we can tie up the likes of Oates, TPJ, Su’A, Haas long term. We still don’t have a HB, but then again Bird has proved he isn’t one anyway.. He doesn’t look happy, and isn’t playing anywhere near the expectation. Possibly try and get a decent half from somewhere with the $, doesn’t seem many are off contract tho.
Bird is Barba 2.0 IMO.

Sporting News Australia FB page reporting Bird is keen to return to Sydney next season and is “unhappy” at the Broncs.
I guess this isn’t too suprising, I wouldn’t mind if they release him so that we can tie up the likes of Oates, TPJ, Su’A, Haas long term. We still don’t have a HB, but then again Bird has proved he isn’t one anyway.. He doesn’t look happy, and isn’t playing anywhere near the expectation. Possibly try and get a decent half from somewhere with the $, doesn’t seem many are off contract tho.
Bird is Barba 2.0 IMO.

If he goes we should only let him go if we dont have to pay a cent towards his next contract. I'd still like to see him playing where we bought him for.

Bird is Barba 2.0 IMO.

Yea I saw this earlier today. Its James Hooper's response on his live blog on Fox sports today.

I also wouldn't mind if we released Bird. I was someone who was cautiously optimistic though somewhat ambivalent about his signing. However, so far this year, he was not really shown to be great at all. I still feel his off season injury really stuffed him around, and this year will probably be a write off. I would be in favour of releasing him though and using his money to secure our young guys.

If he goes we should only let him go if we dont have to pay a cent towards his next contract. I'd still like to see him playing where we bought him for.
agree but do we really need him at lock if we can play tpj there long term? then frees up a spot at prop for lodge and/or haas long term.

next season -

8 mcguire
9 macca
10 lodge
11 glenn
12 gillet
13 tpj

14 haas
15 sua
16 offa
17 utility/fifita/carrigan/flegler etc

doesn't look so bad at all.

i was pretty happy with the signing of bird but he has been very underwhelming so far but if the reports are true about him being unsettled/wanting to move back, coupled with the rise of TPJ, we can seriously use that money elsewhere while losing very little.

I didn't want him in the first place and still think it was a terrible decision. I'll be happy to be able to use his money on the up and comers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • broncomax
  • Battler
  • Broncosgirl
  • Broncorob
  • Aldo
  • leon.bott
  • GCBRONCO
  • maddo
  • Xzei
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Harry Sack
  • Tmac
  • Skathen
  • HarryAllan7
  • Strop
  • FACTHUNT
  • Alec
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.