Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

You’d have to think Ben Ikin is $1.15 to get this QRL role but if he doesn’t, is his position at the broncos somewhat untenable? He quite obviously doesn’t want to be there any longer
Why quite obviously? Because he has applied for a better job?

Why quite obviously? Because he has applied for a better job?
It’s a different job but is it better? What major challenges & milestones would the QRL CEO be setting out in pursuit of in 2023 and beyond ? (Genuine question)

For someone like Ikin who appears to be wanting to climb the ladder, becoming a CEO of the QRL would be better for him.
Definitely. CEO is a more versatile stepping stone than director of football, or whatever his title is. It gives him flexibility horizontally into managing other companies, and not just within a single sport. Or perhaps a position in the NRL itself.

Marty Taupau is looking for another year or two.

Marty Said:

“It’s a goal to stay here,” said Taupau, who plays his 10th consecutive game for the Broncos on Friday night.

“I have to simplify things and it’s a performance-based industry.

“I have to play some great football and hopefully at the end (of the season) I will get rewarded.

“There is so much at the Broncos from top to bottom, from the board, the CEO, the coaching staff, right down to the admin and the players.

“The culture here is phenomenal and the minute I walked in the doors, I felt this is my family and this is what I call home.

“I am grateful for the people that I am surrounded with and we have some great players here.

“I have to keep playing well, but I’m enjoying my time here and hopefully I get to prolong that for the next few years.”

“It’s very sad to even mention retirement, because it has never been in any of my thought processes in terms of my rugby league career,” he said.

“I have invested so much time and money to get my body ready mentally, physically and spiritually for the NRL.

“I worked with a lot of great people that help me prepare week in, week out.

“It wasn’t ideal (being released by Manly).

“I was pretty much unemployed for three months at the back end of last year, but I’m very grateful for the opportunity the Broncos presented me.

“I took it with both hands and every single week I have to repay that by training hard and performing.”

Marty Taupau is looking for another year or two.

Marty Said:

“It’s a goal to stay here,” said Taupau, who plays his 10th consecutive game for the Broncos on Friday night.

“I have to simplify things and it’s a performance-based industry.

“I have to play some great football and hopefully at the end (of the season) I will get rewarded.

“There is so much at the Broncos from top to bottom, from the board, the CEO, the coaching staff, right down to the admin and the players.

“The culture here is phenomenal and the minute I walked in the doors, I felt this is my family and this is what I call home.

“I am grateful for the people that I am surrounded with and we have some great players here.

“I have to keep playing well, but I’m enjoying my time here and hopefully I get to prolong that for the next few years.”

“It’s very sad to even mention retirement, because it has never been in any of my thought processes in terms of my rugby league career,” he said.

“I have invested so much time and money to get my body ready mentally, physically and spiritually for the NRL.

“I worked with a lot of great people that help me prepare week in, week out.

“It wasn’t ideal (being released by Manly).

“I was pretty much unemployed for three months at the back end of last year, but I’m very grateful for the opportunity the Broncos presented me.

“I took it with both hands and every single week I have to repay that by training hard and performing.”

Would love to see us giving Marty more than 15-20mins if he can handle it, I don't feel we're getting the best out of him tbh and it would help us manage Payne/Patty better. I don't like our current forward rotation, I don't believe it's working the best. Maybe it's a longer term plan, idk.

It’s a different job but is it better? What major challenges & milestones would the QRL CEO be setting out in pursuit of in 2023 and beyond ? (Genuine question)

Growing the women's game in Qld
Growing participation across the state
Improving five statewide competitions.
Winning Men and Women's Origins
Having elite pathways producing Origin players
Improving coaching in the state

Kurt and Ben have a good relationship through the Walkers. He was always at Jets games.

Ikin played his part in Kurt coming here.
If Ikin departs, do you have any thoughts on who should or might take over the role? Or do you think a general manager of football position is even a major necessity at the broncos given the way Ikin’s role appeared to be somewhat less important than we / he first assumed it would be ?

If Ikin departs, do you have any thoughts on who should or might take over the role? Or do you think a general manager of football position is even a major necessity at the broncos given the way Ikin’s role appeared to be somewhat less important than we / he first assumed it would be ?

I pumped for Ikin for the Broncos' CEO role based on his QRL work so I am clearly not great at picking staff.

I am unsure to be honest, sometimes I think NRL clubs have too many people- Covid showed that when they got rid of everyone.

Something has clearly not worked. Ikin isn't the type to tell either. Scanlan does a great job so you could get by just with him.

I pumped for Ikin for the Broncos' CEO role based on his QRL work so I am clearly not great at picking staff.

I am unsure to be honest, sometimes I think NRL clubs have too many people- Covid showed that when they got rid of everyone.

Something has clearly not worked. Ikin isn't the type to tell either. Scanlan does a great job so you could get by just with him.
has he actually put his name up for the job?all i could find is they have narrowed it down to four people but no names actually mentioned.

has he actually put his name up for the job?all i could find is they have narrowed it down to four people but no names actually mentioned.
He is being interviewed today.

He is being interviewed today.
idk i read through the CM article no direct quotes from QRL,Ikin or the broncos as to if he had or hadn't put his name up.
every chance he has but there is also a chance he hasn't i guess lol

idk i read through the CM article no direct quotes from QRL,Ikin or the broncos as to if he had or hadn't put his name up.
Yea, you are right. 😝 I didn't read any quotes, but jurno's reporting that his interview is today.

I would 100% be happy to take Ben Hunt off St Georges books but under 2 conditions. 1. he is to come to be our run on dummyhalf and nothing else. 2. St George pay for half of his contract.

Ikin would never provide any reporter with a comment for a story like this given he’s currently an employee of the Broncos.. The only circumstance in which he’ll comment publicly about this is if he gets the QRL role..

Active Now

• Bish
  • broncos4life
  • Culhwch
  • NSW stables
  • Bucking Beads
  • Wolfie
  • Battler
  • Sproj
  • Johnny92
  • broncoscope
  • Allo
  • mitch222
  • Fitzy
  • TimWhatley
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.