Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

We all have to keep in mind that….
The BRISBANE BRONCOS are the prize! We’re not a desperate, merged brothel like Tigers or Dragons. Not a 7 year rebuild like the Dogs..Not a cap cheating scum club like Rorters or Storm.
We’re the heart of all Queensland and we’re performing. You are in a team, a winning team. If you want to go elsewhere or you don’t like it, we’ll give the jersey to someone who wants to be here for the right reasons. Like Captain Carrigan.

We all have to keep in mind that….
The BRISBANE BRONCOS are the prize! We’re not a desperate, merged brothel like Tigers or Dragons. Not a 7 year rebuild like the Dogs..Not a cap cheating scum club like Rorters or Storm.
We’re the heart of all Queensland and we’re performing. You are in a team, a winning team. If you want to go elsewhere or you don’t like it, we’ll give the jersey to someone who wants to be here for the right reasons. Like Captain Carrigan.
A club run brothel might be the key to getting players to sign for unders...

The thing with Oates is all about how it's handled. If you put a low offer in front of him, and say nothing, he probably thinks that's what you think he is worth. Fair enough too.
But if you put a low offer in front of him and explain why it is low, what the negative consequences of paying him his actual value actually are, then he feels valued and understands why the need for the lower offer.
He has a choice to make, but even if he chooses to leave, he does so with an understanding and positive attitude, not salty that the club only thinks I'm worth $250k.
Explain all this to the playing group, or at least the leaders who can help others understand.
If it's handled well, Oates won't be salty, and if he isn't the playing group won't be.

What is that extra 150k costs you are Riki or Piakura or worse still, a Walsh? This is the reality of a salary cap and I LOVE Oatesy.
I think the real question is, for the sake of "maybe" signing Haas, we lose Oates, Farnworth, Flegler, Palasia and possibly one of Riki, Piakura, Ezra or Walsh... I know what I would prefer.

I dont think saving $150k is going to go as far in keeping players in contrast to 1.1mil...

I think the real question is, for the sake of "maybe" signing Haas, we lose Oates, Farnworth, Flegler, Palasia and possibly one of Riki, Piakura, Ezra or Walsh... I know what I would prefer.

I dont think saving $150k is going to go as far in keeping players in contrast to 1.1mil...

Literally none of what you said is true.

Unless we're offering Haas 2.5m that's not going to happen. Any first grade standard prop is on around 650k these days. He does the work of 2 props week in week out, even at 1.1m he is value.

Having Haas means you can have a bench prop like Marty on 250k, still paying the same as 2 props overall, but getting the output of 3.

Unless we're offering Haas 2.5m that's not going to happen. Any first grade standard prop is on around 650k these days. He does the work of 2 props week in week out, even at 1.1m he is value.

Having Haas means you can have a bench prop like Marty on 250k, still paying the same as 2 props overall, but getting the output of 3.
yeah the whole debate of props don't win premierships is out the door with Payne, he will lay the platform to win it . like in origin this year he can go to another level.

I'm reminded of the old saying:

Forwards win you matches ... Backs determine by how much.
Agreed, it's why the Broncos went after Glenn Lazarus in the early 90's The Broncos showed in 1990 and 1991 they had the backline, the spine and the makings of a quality but inexperienced forward pack but really needed that experienced and dominating prop forward and that is what Glenn brought to the side. Wasn't a coincidence the Broncos won premierships in 1992 and 1993, they went from being a side with a reputation of get them into a grind and you can beat them to being one of the toughest packs in the competition.

Seen this posted doesn't have a source but if Oates did go to the club I'll take up my option for next year and adjust my salary to help keep everyone together he deserves to be a Bronco for life and we need to get him a premiership.
Screenshot 20230810 091442

He's a champ.

Agree 1000%

But I do admit confusion because Badel said the downgrade went down like a lead balloon with Oates ... Which seems strange if It Oates initiated the talks of a downgrade

Agree 1000%

But I do admit confusion because Badel said the downgrade went down like a lead balloon with Oates ... Which seems strange if It Oates initiated the talks of a downgrade

Its the size of the downgrade. He knows how the game works, he's willing to sacrifice to help keep the squad together and get some of the younger blokes better deals. He wasnt expecting to get shafted by the club.

Agree 1000%

Yeah I've heard both sides and if the Oates asking for it is true I could see Reynolds following the same path with his next contract. Oates and Reno are good mates so Im sure its been spoken about between the pair.

Losing Payne will change the team dynamic because you arent really going to find a like for like replacement. Hard to know what will happen and it would depend on our recruitment. We could find 2 good props that make our pack stronger as a unit but wont have quite have the 1-2 punch of Carrigan and Haas, but they might give us a bit more dominance in the forwards. We could also just let Patty take over Paynes role at prop and try Hetherington at lock. Carrigan isnt that far behind Paynes performance levels and i think if he was a prop anyway his output would be higher.

Losing Payne will change the team dynamic because you arent really going to find a like for like replacement. Hard to know what will happen and it would depend on our recruitment. We could find 2 good props that make our pack stronger as a unit but wont have quite have the 1-2 punch of Carrigan and Haas, but they might give us a bit more dominance in the forwards. We could also just let Patty take over Paynes role at prop and try Hetherington at lock. Carrigan isnt that far behind Paynes performance levels and i think if he was a prop anyway his output would be higher.
Ehh excuse moi!!!

Don't forget Paddy's try-scoring prowess!

Active Now

• FACTHUNT
  • Organix
  • Fozz
  • Galah
  • KateBroncos1812
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Midean
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • winslow_wong
  • Allo
  • Wolfie
  • Fitzy
  • Alec
  • Foordy
  • Bronx48
  • Lozza
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Volvo Driver
  • westy316
... and 33 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.