Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

I can see why he's upset with $250k. As others have said, surely he's eligible for the discount, probably the only player in the squad who is?
8 years at one club, or 10 years in the NRL to be eligible, and it's only a total of 188k for vets allowance.

So off the top of my head eligible players who would share in that 188 for now or 2024 which is when the

Reyno
Haas (2025 onwards)
Oates
Capewell (2025 onwards)
Staggs (2025 onwards)

That's like 37k each.

For next year though, it would only be Oates and Reyno I think who are eligible.

I think he needs to accept at the stage of his career with his injury issues a downgrade is inevitable. A $200k downgrade is a bit steep though. Said it the other day, last thing we need is to get the players offside and Oatesy is a hugely popular member of the squad.
I’m a big fan of Oatesy and if it weren’t for his constant injuries he’d be in career best form but purely from a heartless business perspective I don’t think he’s a must keep. $400k is probably pretty good value for him though to be fair. $250k is bordering insulting. That would be less than Billy Walters you’d presume

I’m a big fan of Oatesy and if it weren’t for his constant injuries he’d be in career best form but purely from a heartless business perspective I don’t think he’s a must keep. $400k is probably pretty good value for him though to be fair. $250k is bordering insulting. That would be less than Billy Walters you’d presume

I think that $350k for another 2 years is a fair deal.

Same actually, if you can believe the media ... which you can't

Oates should and will be a one club player and he will get work post-footy but will need to take a pay cut to do so and I think he will because all you need to do is remind him of the awful years and what being part of a rubbish side is like.

And from a pure heartless, club first perspective, Oates IS replaceable to an extent.

1. Walsh
2. Arthars
3. Staggs
4. Cobbo
5. Mariner

Still have Hoeter in reserve and some youngsters coming through, so Oates is wonderful but that backline above is still great.

Oatesy has been a great servant of the club, but if he has to go, he has to go.

It would suck to lose him, he's a fan favourite but to be fair we haven't really missed a beat with him out. He's not the player he once was during that '15-'18 period.

We have more important players we need to keep and sometimes you have to make the tough call to let players like him go.

If he's willing to take a pay cut to stay, great. But if he's not, ciao.

Oates should of been picked in all 3 origins last season and you could probably make a case that he was robbed at the club's awards last season.
Reynolds in on record saying he was our best last year, 250k is a insult.
400k is fair for ATM and you'd reevaluate each year.

Oates should of been picked in all 3 origins last season and you could probably make a case that he was robbed at the club's awards last season.
Reynolds in on record saying he was our best last year, 250k is a insult.
400k is fair for ATM and you'd reevaluate each year.

What is that extra 150k costs you are Riki or Piakura or worse still, a Walsh? This is the reality of a salary cap and I LOVE Oatesy.

Oatesy has been a great servant of the club, but if he has to go, he has to go.

It would suck to lose him, he's a fan favourite but to be fair we haven't really missed a beat with him out. He's not the player he once was during that '15-'18 period.

We have more important players we need to keep and sometimes you have to make the tough call to let players like him go.

If he's willing to take a pay cut to stay, great. But if he's not, ciao.
He's very, very popular in the group, and their will be some unhappy players around the place. It wont end well if they low ball him out of the door. Things like that have an impact. Maybe Payne should drop his asking price by $100k a year to keep Corey.

He's very, very popular in the group, and their will be some unhappy players around the place. It wont end well if they low ball him out of the door. Things like that have an impact. Maybe Payne should drop his asking price by $100k a year to keep Corey.

Why would he have to drop his asking price ... you and many others are certain he'll leave anyway, so we'll have a spare $1.1 million a season for Oatesy

What is that extra 150k costs you are Riki or Piakura or worse still, a Walsh? This is the reality of a salary cap and I LOVE Oatesy.

It does simply go beyond the cap. The players know the reality, players end up leaving because the cap space isnt there. The problem always is if the offer is insulting, or they dont get treated with enough respect, there is always a backlash to some degree.

Why would he have to drop his asking price ... you and many others are certain he'll leave anyway, so we'll have a spare $1.1 million a season for Oatesy

Well you seem to think he is staying, so if he is a team first kind of man who wants premierships over money, he can take a bit less to keep a pretty good squad together.

For those who can’t be bothered reading the whole thing:
26BF0CF7 BFEA 4853 80FD A51BCCE07868

For those who can’t be bothered reading the whole thing:
View attachment 23419
Yeah crazy that only 3 players are signed beyond 2025 (Arthars, Mariner and Patty).

I think it can be a good way to operate, because it allows us to be flexible with the roster. If for some reason we needed an overhaul then we could replace 95% of the roster within 2 years.

It does mean that the retention and recruitment team need to be on top of things continuously.

Yeah crazy that only 3 players are signed beyond 2025 (Arthars, Mariner and Patty).

I think it can be a good way to operate, because it allows us to be flexible with the roster. If for some reason we needed an overhaul then we could replace 95% of the roster within 2 years.

It does mean that the retention and recruitment team need to be on top of things continuously.

Well that is your job to be fair and any well run club will stagger their contracts out.

I just want us to announce other re-signings. Reading between the lines, it sounds like Kurt might be close to an extension and Reynolds.

I would just prefer to hear about Riki, Piakura and Mam sooner rather than later. I really don’t care if we pull the pin on Haas, move on and come back later if we have enough for him and he’s interested.

I trust that DD has his fingers all over this, with the relevant people in the organisation. Need to start the upgrades and re-signs now. Then, as @Sproj said, if there is money for Payne, sure, retain him.

As fans, we only want players wearing our colours that want to be here!

Don’t care how good you are, if you’re not ALL IN, see ya 👋🏻.
Look at the brothel that B Hunt is living in. He definitely doesn’t want to be at that toilet, yet he is their best player.
I’d rather a Billy Walters and a Kobe who bust their backsides week in week out for the team.

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • Thelmus
  • Mighty Bronx
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Foordy
  • Swordfish
  • Sproj
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Wolfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.