Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2024

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
What do you do if Walsh, Oates, Staggs, Cobbo or Mariner is injured 5 minutes after kickoff?

It is a good question and I wouldn't be against Oates on the bench. Arthars doesn't deserve to lose his spot after his season but we also need to get Mariner in to the side. Oates as a bench option really is perfect as he can cover backrow if we get desperate and would be a ready made option to the backline if one of the backs go down.

mrtij

mrtij

NYC Player
Sep 14, 2021
Niukora would be a great trade if we shave off even 50,000 but it would never happen. Jackson Ford might be a shout if he has told them he isn't going to re-sign (they have a young guy they have high hopes for and capewell could take fords spot) although he doesn't provide utility value.
Yeah I think I read somewhere that if they get Capewell they plan on moving Niukora to prop to replace AFB

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Niukora would be a great trade if we shave off even 50,000 but it would never happen. Jackson Ford might be a shout if he has told them he isn't going to re-sign (they have a young guy they have high hopes for and capewell could take fords spot) although he doesn't provide utility value.
I think Niukora is one of the highest paid second rowers in the comp... good player, but not going to fit into our cap at the moment.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Not ideal but you’d probably be forced to carry Oates on the bench.
It is a good question and I wouldn't be against Oates on the bench. Arthars doesn't deserve to lose his spot after his season but we also need to get Mariner in to the side. Oates as a bench option really is perfect as he can cover backrow if we get desperate and would be a ready made option to the backline if one of the backs go down.
I had the same thought. But what about the converse: we carry Oates on the bench, and no one in the backs gets injured? Would covering that risk weaken the team overall? I'm not sure I can answer that with confidence.

This is only one of the reasons why Capewell's statistics don't tell the whole story. But it's also a reality if Capewell, himself, is injured or unavailable.

I think the longer term solution is to refuse Capewell's request to cut his contract short (if it's even a thing), and consider one of the following:

1. A fast bench forward who can play wing (Cobbo alone can cover wing, centre and fullback).

2. A solid defending utility who can provide spark at hooker, and can cover an outside back position. Oddly, Brodie Croft might fit that description.

I'm not aware of us having anyone who fits these descriptions on our current roster. The second option is almost certainly ruled out with Billy locked at 9, and Mozer inevitable at 14. Longer term, Mozer at 9 and Billy is a realistic option, but it won't solve our outside back conundrum.

Bottom line is we need to retain Capewell or find a clone. Sailor is another left field option who could cover a number of roles, but again, like Oates, he would weaken our forward strength.

mrtij

mrtij

NYC Player
Sep 14, 2021
I had the same thought. But what about the converse: we carry Oates on the bench, and no one in the backs gets injured? Would covering that risk weaken the team overall? I'm not sure I can answer that with confidence.

This is only one of the reasons why Capewell's statistics don't tell the whole story. But it's also a reality if Capewell, himself, is injured or unavailable.

I think the longer term solution is to refuse Capewell's request to cut his contract short (if it's even a thing), and consider one of the following:

1. A fast bench forward who can play wing (Cobbo alone can cover wing, centre and fullback).

2. A solid defending utility who can provide spark at hooker, and can cover an outside back position. Oddly, Brodie Croft might fit that description.

I'm not aware of us having anyone who fits these descriptions on our current roster. The second option is almost certainly ruled out with Billy locked at 9, and Mozer inevitable at 14. Longer term, Mozer at 9 and Billy is a realistic option, but it won't solve our outside back conundrum.

Bottom line is we need to retain Capewell or find a clone. Sailor is another left field option who could cover a number of roles, but again, like Oates, he would weaken our forward strength.
I agree 100%, Oates on the bench would certainly weaken the team.

I would definitely rather option 1 out of the ones you provided. It’s so valuable to have a second rower that can fill in at centre. Doesn’t need to play wing just centre then Mariner or Cobbo can get pushed to the wing.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017

Cobbo could play 2nd row in a pinch .
He had a little stint on the edge in a game this year and doesn`t mind the rough stuff . Kevvie is a lot smarter than he looks . He has a plan ...

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022

I think the broncos upgrading/extending Walsh from next year will depend on freeing up capewell money.

mrtij

mrtij

NYC Player
Sep 14, 2021
I think the broncos upgrading/extending Walsh from next year will depend on freeing up capewell money.
Will it though? Walsh is already contracted till 2025 and if Capewell leaves at the end of 2024 I was under the impression it wouldn’t make a difference

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Judging anyone based on decisions The Dragons make is frankly ridiculous. If the overwhelming evidence from the last decade isn’t enough then Jackson Ford should be all you need.

Good players always rise. Ford tbf was playing reasonably regularly for the Dragons at roughly the same age as Hunt. Ford played 33 times for the Dragons in 4 years compared to Hunt playing 14 times in 3 years so clearly he was showing a fair bit more than Hunt.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Cobbo could play 2nd row in a pinch .
He had a little stint on the edge in a game this year and doesn`t mind the rough stuff . Kevvie is a lot smarter than he looks . He has a plan ...
That wouldn't solve anything. The formula is a bench with 1 hooker and 3 forwards. Someone who is primarily a forward or hooker needs to be able to cover an outside back. And that player needs to be good enough to play both positions in a full strength team. Capewell can do that, while one of the bench forwards covers him.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Good players always rise. Ford tbf was playing reasonably regularly for the Dragons at roughly the same age as Hunt. Ford played 33 times for the Dragons in 4 years compared to Hunt playing 14 times in 3 years so clearly he was showing a fair bit more than Hunt.
Ok mate.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
This forum has turned very Facebook like today with some of the weird and whacky position suggestions.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
That wouldn't solve anything. The formula is a bench with 1 hooker and 3 forwards. Someone who is primarily a forward or hooker needs to be able to cover an outside back. And that player needs to be good enough to play both positions in a full strength team. Capewell can do that, while one of the bench forwards covers him.
Capewell being able to cover centre is a good luxury but if him leaving allows us to keep Walsh or Mam than it really isn’t worth basing the decision around. It will be a lot smarter to just have Riki do some reps at centre over the off season than it would to make long term squad movement decisions based on Capewell being a decent centre.

Also, we’ve carried an outside back on the bench before a few times. Cobbo and Arthars can play anywhere in the backline, Mariner can play centre and wing, and Staggs can play second row. You’d find a way to do make it work.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Capewell being able to cover centre is a good luxury but if him leaving allows us to keep Walsh or Mam than it really isn’t worth basing the decision around. It will be a lot smarter to just have Riki do some reps at centre over the off season than it would to make long term squad movement decisions based on Capewell being a decent centre.

Also, we’ve carried an outside back on the bench before a few times. Cobbo and Arthars can play anywhere in the backline, Mariner can play centre and wing, and Staggs can play second row. You’d find a way to do make it work.

Rikki has played wing for Norths- scored two tries in two games in 2019!

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018

Replacing a back with another back - who's already on the field - or switching a back into the forwards isn't the issue: it's who do you carry on the bench to cover the gap left by the back you shifted? It's not uncommon to carry a centre on the bench, but that's never been Kevvie's way. Will he have to change his formula if Capewell goes?

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • Broncorob
  • Wolfie
  • broncs30
  • jd87
  • Brotherdu
  • Yem
  • Jazza
  • Fatboy
  • Sproj
  • Spooky1013
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Broncosarethebest
  • winslow_wong
  • lakers133334
  • Lozza
  • Justwin
  • Financeguy
  • Scorchie
  • Waynesaurus
... and 38 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.