Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2024

That wouldn't solve anything. The formula is a bench with 1 hooker and 3 forwards. Someone who is primarily a forward or hooker needs to be able to cover an outside back. And that player needs to be good enough to play both positions in a full strength team. Capewell can do that, while one of the bench forwards covers him.
Hate to admit it but you are right there .
Rikki has played wing for Norths- scored two tries in two games in 2019!
He`s quick when he gets wound up .
The try he scored as a replacement for Fifita a cpl of seasons back was a false dawn , I thought Fifita wouldn`t be missed .
His tippy toeing when he makes hit ups frustrates the shit out of me .Get a cpl of yards deeper and run like we know you can Jordy !

So is Capewell being "shopped around?"

ScreenScreenshot 2023 11 27 at 12 59 36 Saint Sinner Shoosh Cheeky engagement hint for Cleary

could be jt13 cows need money to keep deardon

But we also won't spend the money required to get him, since it could likely put us as risk of losing Mam or Walsh

Could be any of the clubs and probably is more than one of them, that is such a nothing statement. I wish I could get paid to put out this rubbish.

Just off the top of my head:
Broncos - Capewell, Reynolds
Panthers - Pretty much 99% of them
Storm - Welch, Papenheuzen, Asofa-Solomona, Munster, Olam, Hughes
Dolphins - Bromwich, Bromwich, Kaufusi
Bulldogs - Addo-Carr, Burton, Crichton, Kikau, Salmon
Titans - Tino, Foran, Liu, Verrills
Tigers - Api, Staines
Cowboys - JT2, Townsend (he played for the junior Kangaroos), Feldt, McLean, Holmes
Roosters - Tupou, Keary, JWH, Tedesco, Manu, Radley, Crichton, B.Smith, Leniu
Warriors - RTS
Sea Eagles - DCE
Rabbitohs - Johnston, Burgess, Mitchell
Sharks - Finucane, Hynes
Dragons - Bird
Knights - Cogger

Now obviously some are more likely than others but the point stands. It could easily be any of the bolded ones above.

Could be any of the clubs and probably is more than one of them, that is such a nothing statement. I wish I could get paid to put out this rubbish.

Just off the top of my head:
Broncos - Capewell, Reynolds
Panthers - Pretty much 99% of them
Storm - Welch, Papenheuzen, Asofa-Solomona, Munster, Olam, Hughes
Dolphins - Bromwich, Bromwich, Kaufusi
Bulldogs - Addo-Carr, Burton, Crichton, Kikau, Salmon
Titans - Tino, Foran, Liu, Verrills
Tigers - Api, Staines
Cowboys - JT2, Townsend (he played for the junior Kangaroos), Feldt, McLean, Holmes
Roosters - Tupou, Keary, JWH, Tedesco, Manu, Radley, Crichton, B.Smith, Leniu
Warriors - RTS
Sea Eagles - DCE
Rabbitohs - Johnston, Burgess, Mitchell
Sharks - Finucane, Hynes
Dragons - Bird
Knights - Cogger

Now obviously some are more likely than others but the point stands. It could easily be any of the bolded ones above.
Except that the authors (Riccio, Read) are the same ones who broke the Capewell story, which has since been confirmed, or at least to the extent of him touring the facilities and dining with the coach.

But otherwise yes, the shoosh, sinners and saints column is a pretty shitty concept.

Replacing a back with another back - who's already on the field - or switching a back into the forwards isn't the issue: it's who do you carry on the bench to cover the gap left by the back you shifted? It's not uncommon to carry a centre on the bench, but that's never been Kevvie's way. Will he have to change his formula if Capewell goes?
I answered this exact point in my second paragraph. Our 3rd forward only ever played like 9 minutes anyway. We’d lose little by having a back there instead

Except that the authors (Riccio, Read) are the same ones who broke the Capewell story, which has since been confirmed, or at least to the extent of him touring the facilities and dining with the coach.

But otherwise yes, the shoosh, sinners and saints column is a pretty shitty concept.
So they broke the story then they put it in a "shoosh" column? I reckon that's even worse journalism tbh.

According to Dobbo we have told Capes that his services won't be required after his current deal (explains why he met with Webster). we'll likely grant him an early release to take up the Warriors deal should he want.

I'm Ok with that. while in the ideal world, we'd keep Capes for another season, after that I think he struggles to find a place in the side. given he was a key player in turning our fortunes around, i'm happy for the club to do what's in his best interest and allow him to secure his future with a long term ... and if there is one team that i'm happy to benefit for this it is the Warriors (hell, they gave us Walsh early).

Dobbo said:

“It’s highly likely that Kurt Capewell has played his last game for the Brisbane Broncos, he’s contracted next year in 2024 but the Broncos have informed him that they would not be signing him for any further years after that,” Dobbin said.

“He hasn’t made up his mind yet but the Broncos, talking to them today, have given him his blessing if he wanted to take up that (deal) and give him an early release.”

If that is true, I admire the transparency from the club. As much as that would suck to hear, at least he knows where he stands. At the end of the day, he has done what he was paid to do but his defense did let us down when it mattered in the GF and has kind of been on a downward trend all season. It will definitely leave us light on in the backrow if he leaves early but happy its the Warriors and I think he will be great for them, it is a good fit for both him and that club.

As for us, there will be a teething period as we transition in to the new side to take us forward and we will be hoping like crazy nothing happens to Riki or Piaks but if it does, we've got guys who could plug a hole and we just need to trust in the system. Look at Penrith, they lost Kikau and replaced him with Sorensen, a journeyman with not that much experience in the second row and turned him in to a gun there.

Speaking of Penrith, if Capes does leave as expected, I'd be on the blower to find out if Hosking would be interested and available to come back to the club, he'd be a lot cheaper than Capes and provide a similar job for 2024.

If that is true, I admire the transparency from the club. As much as that would suck to hear, at least he knows where he stands. At the end of the day, he has done what he was paid to do but his defense did let us down when it mattered in the GF and has kind of been on a downward trend all season. It will definitely leave us light on in the backrow if he leaves early but happy its the Warriors and I think he will be great for them, it is a good fit for both him and that club.

As for us, there will be a teething period as we transition in to the new side to take us forward and we will be hoping like crazy nothing happens to Riki or Piaks but if it does, we've got guys who could plug a hole and we just need to trust in the system. Look at Penrith, they lost Kikau and replaced him with Sorensen, a journeyman with not that much experience in the second row and turned him in to a gun there.

Speaking of Penrith, if Capes does leave as expected, I'd be on the blower to find out if Hosking would be interested and available to come back to the club, he'd be a lot cheaper than Capes and provide a similar job for 2024.
Hosking would be a wicked pickup but i doubt the Panthers will release him for nothing. Probably ask for Tristan Sailor in return or something! I

I am wondering who the Broncs have that can fill the role of playing in the backrow in the meantime. I mean, I know Carrigan has been a third string back rower but we are going to need to sign someone to fill the void of Capes.

Boy oh Boy this time last year I wasnt expecting to be without Capes, Herbie, Flegs and Palasia for the 2024 season.. I think it could hurt more than we let on.

On a positive note: if Capewell leaves immediately we can afford to keep Cory Paix on the books.
Yes, this will ensure that we can have another year of trashing Mchunts obsession with hating Billy Walters!

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Allo
  • Battler
  • Jazza
  • lynx000
  • MrMoore
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Spoon
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Broncorob
  • DrGee
  • Bucking Beads
  • Jedhead
  • Wolfie
  • Harry Sack
  • Financeguy
  • Manifesto
  • Waynesaurus
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.