Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2024

We need to make sure that we retain Haas, Mam, Carrigan, and Walsh long term, virtually everybody else on the roster is expendable. Cobbo and Mozer might join those four soon enough (clubs are already after Cobbo big time but losing him right now wouldn't be a crushing blow imo) within the next 12 months. I'm happy that the club is making these sorts of moves to get our top end guns locked away early and for a long time with room to move on our cap in case some other freak jr comes through.
Who's after Cobbo, Wayne and the Phins?

For sure - would he be available from the Riff though?

It is a very good question, who knows but then, who thought a month ago that Capes would no longer be a Bronco right now? I am sure if we came at him with a 2-3 year deal, he'd become available.

We got Walsh on the cheap and Mam has improved - something had to give.

Yeah, exactly.

If losing Flegs, Herb, Keenan and Capes is what it takes to lock down Walsh, Ez, Payne, and Patty long term, keep Reyno around for a couple more years, and hang onto guys like Riki, Kobe and Cobbo as well, it's not a bad trade. Especially considering we have good replacements at all of those positions.

The only one I really think is a loss is Herb, but I think it was him or Staggs and they'd pulled the trigger on Staggs at a time when they probably felt pressured to. Even then I'd say it's almost a wash - on their day, they can both play to about the same (very excellent) standard. I do wonder if they had their time over they might have stretched a little and held onto Palasia, had they known Flegs was also going to walk, but hindsight is twenty-twenty.

I'm not sure I have seen much of Fletcher Baker but from the little I did see of him last season he was pretty good for the Chooks so hopefully he will be a good replacement for Fleg.

Casting into the future here but anyone have any clues on who the Broncos 7 will be in 2026 given Reyno will likely be retired by then?

If I remember correctly Walker is available (comes off contract at end of 25 season) so I personally think he would be perfect alongside Mam etc and if Reyno stays on as a mentor / halves coach that would be the ideal situation I think.

Other than that do we think Madden would be able to step up after Reyno?

That left edge looks a bit light on experience and concerning regarding defence.

I dont think piakura's effort areas and fitness is there for nrl 80 mins, and i am not sold on him yet.

Capewell probably missed more tackles last year because he was trying to cover/protect mam a bit, putting himself out of position a bit.

Mams defensive reads were pretty poor in qcup but improved in nrl. I think that was largely due to capewell's talk and herbies pace.

Disappointed to tell the truth. Last time we went all in on youth and "talent" as opposed to experience and effort was the beginning of the bad years.

Isn't Capewell a Broncos junior? I know he wasn't at his best last year but we threw Oates a new deal when he turned his career around in 2022 so not sure why Capewell couldn't have done the same.
I don't think we've just thrown Capewell out... it's most likely that warriors let it be known early that they were going to offer decent money and a contract through to 2026.

Broncos were probably just going to see how it went through 2024 and then offer 2025, but no real guarantees that he can even keep Piakura out of first grade.

Capewell with money on the table from warriors was probably keen to take it up rather than hoping he can perform to a decent level again with Piakura pressuring him for his spot.

If Capewell dropped back to the bench or dropped out of the 17 altogether through 2024, then there could've been a risk he doesn't get another payday. He's striking while the irons hot.

Broncos were happy to let him pursue that with warriors... I would assume it's mutual all round Broncos, Capewell and Warriors

Moley claims the players aren’t happy about Capes departure.

If it’s true, club will want to be careful about who they get rid of.

1. Walsh
2. Arthars
3. Mariner
4. Staggs
5. Cobbo
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Jensen
9. Walters
10. Haas
11. Riki
12. Piakura
13. Carrigan
14. Smoothy
15. Hetherington
16. Baker
17. Willison

I think this is well and truly a good team still. Walsh, Mam, Reyno, Walters(/Smoothy) is unchanged that’s our GF spine and our right edge is unchanged as well. I think our middle dynamic isn’t quite as terrifying but I think it definitely has the consistency and is complementary to our game style with Xavier starting to get bigger minutes and take on that terroriser role. I am of the belief Piakura is already better than Capes we just don’t know how he will hold up the 12 months (plus we now have no back up) so I’m not concerned quality wise there more so consistency and holding up. I have never been more confident Mariner will be successful he is in a backline where not being successful in attack is nearly impossible just has to make sure he is on top of that left edge. Losing Capewell is a risk but I don’t think it will affect us should Piakura perform similarly to this year and we get a genuine second row back up.

Remember we have heaps of young guns that will develop some more again which is super exciting.

No hard feelings at all. It really sucks to lose him tbh, but I'd probably have been pretty annoyed if we stood in his way here. Or the Warriors for that matter...they did us a proper solid with Walsh and I'm glad we've squared that ledger. I can see him doing extremely well over there and it's a very astute signing IMO. At the end of the day, the rapid rise of a number of our players was always going to force a quality player out.

Thanks for helping put this club back together and digging it out of the hole it was in Kurt.
One last time....

dead poets society GIF

I’m optimistic but also scared at the same time aha. DD just hasn’t seemed to mess up once since he’s been here, I’m hoping we timed it perfectly buying early stocks on Piakura and getting rid of Capewell as his stock goes down and we’ll look back on it as such a beautifully shrewd decision.

Imagine if Mariner, Piakura and Willison all play to their fullest potential next year. Would be very scary to come up against for other teams.

But yeah it’ is also scary because ya just never know how it will pan out haha.

It's definitely a blow and it really highlights how short the Broncos are on backrowers. Most clubs have around 4-5 backrows on their roster, Brisbane only have 2 and one of them is incredibly injury prone.

Long term it's probably for the best and Capewell's salary (if we're saying minimum 450K, that's about $400K considering his first six weeks would have already been paid) can be used as a bargaining chip to get Mam and Walsh over the line.

Initial feeling is that this will be similar to the Blair and McGuire releases where their absence will be felt early and in the case of Blair he'll be a positive acquisition. However over time it'll work out and I agree with Fitzy we'll likely see a few young players emerge.

I'm glad Capewell was a part of the club. He was a divisive player, but I always appreciated his skill-set and he wasn't just your typical second rower. That field goal will go down as one of the best club debuts in club history and he played a pivotal role in the turn-around. Shame we couldn't go all the way, but it was nice to see somebody come out of that Class of '93.

As far as evening up the ledger - I like the Warriors and the relationship we have with their fans, but the scale has been in their favour for years. Not only did the Broncos release Walshy early to them, but they also got Blair, Nikorima, Lodge and now Capewell early. It's fair to say that both clubs just have a healthy relationship and it's nice to have that support. It sure beats other clubs being scummy and witholding information about a player's wellbeing.

Would of liked Capewell to see out next season, he was the Vice captain and I'm sure he had a lot of impact on the playing group. We are very light on proven backrowers in our squad.
Hopefully the trials unearths another Hosking like player.

My problem with it is I think it's a year too early and I think in the long run that, along with our other losses, is going to have an impact on our chances of getting back to the GF and going one better.

I highly doubt Piakura is ready to be a starting backrower and play 80 every week.

That's my issue too, if the Broncos were close to competing but not quite there yet, I'd have been more OK with it. Would have been nice to keep him and go hard after that premiership next year. Broncos should still compete, but gee its going to be tricky to replace the outgoing talent and experience straight away, which you want when you're right in that premiership window.

Why is everyone saying we’ve lost players?!?!
It’s not like “wow, where did the players go? Did we leave them in the forest during the excursion?” We didn’t fucken “lose” anyone! We let players go based on stupid fkn offers that we weren’t willing to match! 850k for Flegler? No thanks. Good on him for taking the money. We didn’t lose them, we just didn’t get into a bidding war.

In DD and Kev we trust.

Active Now

• abashii
  • Financeguy
  • pennywisealfie
  • Browny
  • Alec
  • Bucking Beads
  • Shane Tronc
  • Mr Fourex
  • Dash
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • dasherhalo
  • GCBRONCO
  • Bongo
  • FACTHUNT
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Battler
  • KateBroncos1812
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.