Daniel Vidot discussion

Re: Should Daniel Vidot Be In The First Grade Side?

Daniel Vidot granted compassionate leave after move to South Sydney Rabbitohs collapsed

DANIEL Vidot’s career at the Broncos is all but over with the out-of-favour winger granted compassionate leave after a potential move to premiers Souths collapsed on Wednesday.

The Courier-Mail understands Vidot could leave the Broncos within a fortnight as his management ramps-up discussions with a number of NRL rivals.

The Rabbitohs had made preliminary inquiries into signing Vidot to help ease their backline injury saga, but the premiers have decided against making a formal offer.

Vidot contacted officials at Broncos feeder-club Ipswich yesterday informing them he is unavailable for Sunday’s clash against Sunshine Coast, a sign he is headed for the Red Hill exits.

Well-placed sources say Vidot is not injured, with the 25-year-old asking for a week off to sort through the mental anguish of his Broncos free fall.

The 111kg hulk was outstanding for Brisbane in his maiden year at the club last season, but was axed by coach Wayne Bennett for their round-one clash against Souths.

Vidot has since languished at prop for the Jets in the Intrust Super Cup. Stuck behind Broncos trio Lachlan Maranta, Corey Oates and Jack Reed, he has been frustrated by a lack of opportunity and is unhappy at a club where he feels he is NRL quality.

South Sydney have around $100,000 to spend under the salary cap and Vidot was one possible option to bolster their roster after a string of injuries to outside backs.

The Rabbitohs have lost star centre Dylan Walker to a broken hand and have named veteran Daryl Millard, who was playing in France last year, for tomorrow night’s clash against Parramatta.

Vidot was Brisbane’s best metre-eater last season, amassing a whopping 3798 metres from 23 games, and admits he struggling to come to terms with being on the outer.

“It’s been a tough period for me,” he said.

“Obviously I’m not as happy to be playing reserve grade as NRL, but I have to keep my head down and try my best.

“I’m not really used to this, I was really happy with my season last year. I have a lot of respect for Wayne Bennett so I’m not going to be negative about it, but at the moment there’s not much more I can do.”

Vidot is contracted to the Broncos for the rest of the season but he is not in Bennett’s future plans. He paid a heavy price for a defensive error in Brisbane’s World Club Series clash, racing off his wing to concede the 78th minute try that almost cost the Broncos victory against Wigan.

Asked about his future at the Broncos, Vidot said: “I don’t want to comment on that, sorry mate.”

While he was inspirational at times on the field last season, the giant winger has had off-field disciplinary problems, which is part of the reason he has slipped in the pecking order.

The Manly Sea Eagles have also been linked to Vidot and may issue a lifeline as winger Jorge Taufua fights for his career following his part in an off-field pub brawl.

Source: http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...bitohs-collapsed/story-fniabm4i-1227278633812

Last edited:

Well that sucks. Which is it, the defensive error(s) or disciplinary issues?

Well that sucks. Which is it, the defensive error(s) or disciplinary issues?

Perhaps both? I'm a firm believer in second chances so i would like to see Vidot get at least one more run in the top grade, just to see if he can hack it.

That's shit. I'm a big fan of Vidot and was really hoping he'd be back in the team.

They're hinting at disciplinary issues, so this seems to be a Gagai situation again where we have no idea why but he's granted a release.

Not going to lie, I'm disappointed to hear that. He had some things to work on but put in 110% for us all of last year.

I'd hoped he'd fight his way back into the team and come good. If he's still with us, I suppose there's a (very) slim chance. If not with us, I wish him all the best and hope he gets a shot elsewhere.

I am a fan of Vidot, but i think his performance in the pre season torture camp is what has influenced Bennett.

Gagai had way worse issues and Wayne took him, and let's not even speak of his willingness to pick up Russell Packer!
As to mistakes... Whitchurch anyone?

I really feel for Daniel, he seemed to be in a really good place, took on board the comments and requirements given to him, did the hard work to lose the kilos, and ends up dumped in ISC without a chance.

I am a fan of Vidot, but i think his performance in the pre season torture camp is what has influenced Bennett.

I keep hearing about this Pre season torture camp and that Vidot didn't impress, but i can't find anything that says what he did wrong. Does anyone know?

No big loss, his metres were handy last year, but if we're going to win a premiership we need people who can catch bombs and finish off tries, neither of which are his strong points.

He'll be a distant memory by next season once we've got Gagai, and hopefully a fully healthy Copley at left centre.

Last edited:

It's such a shame. I reckon maybe 50% of our current squad actually WANT to play for us. And while we may never see him again, the fact he won't play a game this year when someone like Shitchurch did just pisses me off. I had a bad feeling for him when Wayne came back as I knew they didn't get on much when he was at St George. Sounds like it's crushing him :(

Disappointing news all round there tbh

That's shit. I'm a big fan of Vidot and was really hoping he'd be back in the team.

They're hinting at disciplinary issues, so this seems to be a Gagai situation again where we have no idea why but he's granted a release.

It makes me wonder what the issue is.

He seemed to have a real good attitude and was doing everything he could to make the squad and remain a Bronco.

I guess we will never know.

Whilst this is unlikely to really matter to us down the line this is disappointing. He hasn't even played an NRL game for us this year and after a good year last year we are already willing to throw him on the scrap heap?

And I don't buy the disciplinary thing either because of WB signing Gagai. Honestly think not being a favoured player of the coaches has basically cost him his career here.

It's such a shame. I reckon maybe 50% of our current squad actually WANT to play for us. And while we may never see him again, the fact he won't play a game this year when someone like Shitchurch did just pisses me off. I had a bad feeling for him when Wayne came back as I knew they didn't get on much when he was at St George.Sounds like it's crushing him :(

Probably because they were at different clubs...

I keep hearing about this Pre season torture camp and that Vidot didn't impress, but i can't find anything that says what he did wrong. Does anyone know?

From what I am told, there has been a lot of short cuts, easy way outs and lack of mental toughness in his off field work.
Being shown the door is another example of Bennett not accepting anything but 100% at the club, Thaiday is in the same boat.
Bennett is rebuilding the culture of the club from the ground up and can't afford weak links in the chain as it is much bigger than this year or next. There is much more to the Broncos than metres gained each week and I have the utmost faith in what Bennett is doing, even if in the short term it seems crazy, he has a very clear plan.

Maranta may not be the best winger in the game, but you can't question his commitment and attitude.

I am not disappointed in losing him but I hope he is not too depressed and makes the grade with another club

Whilst this is unlikely to really matter to us down the line this is disappointing. He hasn't even played an NRL game for us this year and after a good year last year we are already willing to throw him on the scrap heap?

And I don't buy the disciplinary thing either because of WB signing Gagai. Honestly think not being a favoured player of the coaches has basically cost him his career here.

I think Bennett drew a line through Vidot's name last year, same as Barba. He knows who he wants and he gets who he wants. That's his style. This forum, with a few exceptions, welcomed Bennett with open arms and big grins. Good luck to Daniel.

Now, back to the Maranta thread ...

Last edited:

From what I am told, there has been a lot of short cuts, easy way outs and lack of mental toughness in his off field work.
Being shown the door is another example of Bennett not accepting anything but 100% at the club, Thaiday is in the same boat.
Bennett is rebuilding the culture of the club from the ground up and can't afford weak links in the chain as it is much bigger than this year or next. There is much more to the Broncos than metres gained each week and I have the utmost faith in what Bennett is doing, even if in the short term it seems crazy, he has a very clear plan.

Maranta may not be the best winger in the game, but you can't question his commitment and attitude.
Have you heard anything about Garbutt, Smokin' Joe?

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • cento
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.