Daniel Vidot discussion

Re: Should Daniel Vidot Be In The First Grade Side?

It isn't clear at all.

Let's not pretend as if Vidot is a saint. He's had a checkered past and the timing of this doesn't reflect well on him at all which is my point.

People can pick a side, that's up to them but I don't think Vidot is an innocent victim in all of this at all.

It isn't clear at all.

Let's not pretend as if Vidot is a saint. He's had a checkered past and the timing of this doesn't reflect well on him at all which is my point.

People can pick a side, that's up to them but I don't think Vidot is an innocent victim in all of this at all.
Actually it is. All reporting on Vidot this season and the past has been praising in his attitude on and off the field.
Unlike others, he actually cleaned up his act since he has been in Brisbane.
Nothing warrants tying his past to the current situation. It's drawing a very long bow indeed.

We're obviously not privy of whatever may or may not have happened, so I am not going to accuse anyone of wrongdoing, but I will take Vidot's defense until proven otherwise.

Not everything has been positive, he took his spot for granted last season (which is why he was dropped for two games) and from reports wasn't looking after himself well.

He cut 5kgs and has said the right things socially but that's the extent of it. For all we know, Smokin' Joe could be right on the money as he has been before.

It's an unfortunate situation all-round but the timing really doesn't reflect well on Vidot. A better time would have been around mid-year, not a few weeks in, if anything that confirms a lot of rumours about him.

Can you point me to those reports BP? I have not seen or heard anything that was not positive in relation to Vidot's attitude and/or effort since he came to the Broncos.

The timing can only be judged based on what Wayne told him and when... Barba left mid pre-season when it became clear he wouldn't have a spot in the 17. Something tells me Vidot got a similar speech, so I can't blame him to try to move before the mid-season deadline arrives.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...eased-error-rate/story-fnp0lyn6-1227252934476

Too many take-away dinners for Vidot.

In combination with other factors, I don't think he was exactly innocent in all of this.

Also note the quotes from Bennett. Wayne has been pretty open about everything so far and this...

Asked if Vidot’s defensive lapse against Wigan was a factor, Bennett said: “That was part of it but he’s a talented player and he’ll be back.

Doesn't sound like somebody who told Vidot flat-out he had zero chance of making the team.

In contrast, Bennett was upfront about his thoughts on fullback from the get-go.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...eased-error-rate/story-fnp0lyn6-1227252934476

In combination with other factors, I don't think he was exactly innocent in all of this.

Also note the quotes from Bennett. Wayne has been pretty open about everything so far and this...

Doesn't sound like somebody who told Vidot flat-out he had zero chance of making the team.

In contrast, Bennett was upfront about his thoughts on fullback from the get-go.
Completely agree, Bennett has been incredibly straight forward this year with everything he's said (well, besides Joffa not playing) so I can't imagine he just said that and then told Vidot he had no chance a week later. If that was the case, Bennett didn't need to add that he was a talented player who would be back.

I'm not just disappointed because of Vidot's attitude here, I'm disappointed because I genuinely like the guy and may never see him in a Broncos jersey again. Part of me thinks that, at least internally, he hasn't responded well to being dropped, if he did, he would have waited at least a month or two before finding another club. There's more than 3 months for the mid season transfer deadline.

He didn't make the team in week 1, posted on social media he was disappointed and would do what he could, 2 weeks later he's already had discussions with Souths that have fallen through, did he even wait 2 weeks before looking for an easy way out at a club that could assure him of first grade?

I don't know the full story obviously, but it's just disappointing all round.

It will be very disappointing to see him leave in this fashion on the outer. He had a superb season last year and should be in the 17 now.

Wonder if the leading meter gainer at any club has been dropped from the team after making the most meters the previous year?

So, he had some trouble to go from the Griffin diet to a healthier one, but he took in on board and got it done. How is that an attitude problem?

As to Wayne's declarations, meh... this was what he said weeks before Barba moved to the Sharks:
After starting this season at fullback, Barba showed more promise in his nine games at five-eighth and Bennett insists he is not turning his back on the Mackay product.“Ben is an exciting talent, but he just hasn’t had his best year,” he said.
“I hope we get to work with him and I can get some confidence in him.
“People look for these deep answers but Ben only needs regular footy, some confidence and he can blast off again.’’
Barba said a fortnight ago he was enjoying his move to five-eighth and was determined to develop his game under Bennett.
“There’s been a lot said about my future here, will Wayne want me and that sort of thing, but I have another two years here and I want to finish my career here,” he said.
Ben Barba?s Broncos career in the balance Wayne Bennett to axe him as five-eighth in favour of Anthony Milford

Even if I'm taking your meme seriously, to suggest Hook told him to go eat take-away as often as Vidot did is preposterous. Plenty of ways to put on mass, 'dirty' bulking wouldn't be condoned let alone ordered.

Important to note the timing of that article. Darius Boyd had yet to sign and reportedly the Broncos were having issues fitting him under the cap. Bennett made it clear that Darius, Milford & Hunt were priorities and given his salary Ben had to make way.

I'm sure he was looking forward to working to Barba in that given situation, but things had to change in order to put together the squad he wanted.

In contrast, the situation is far more settled now and he's been up-front about most players and selections.

We'll never know the full story, but that's certainly an indication that things weren't as dire as made out.

Of course the Griffin diet was a joke, although it may indicate a lack of discipline instilled to the players in regards to their diets. It's quite possible that more players than Vidot suffered from the same affliction...

Come on, the time line isn't an excuse. Boyd did sign 2 weeks after Barba joined the Sharks, but his arrival was really never in doubt. Bennett had already made that very clear before those comments, and essentially pointed the door to Barba within a couple of weeks. The Vidot situation could be very similar.

Regardless, we don't know the story, we don't know what Wayne's plans are or what was said, and while Bennett could very well have a valid reason, the finger pointing at Vidot is nothing more than speculation based on paper thin evidence.

It isn't an excuse, it's a fact of the matter. It wouldn't have made any sense for Bennett to say he had no intention of playing Barba and was looking to piss him off to fit Boyd in, especially with so many different variables at play.

All of this is hearsay, even the allegations being made against Wayne are all second-hand accounts from journos who have their own agendas ($$$$$). However, what a boring forum it would be if people didn't at least get an opportunity to look at it from all angles.

If Daniel was interested in joining Souths I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. Clearly he's got things to work on and if he isn't prepared to guts it out and show some loyalty to the club then I'm not interested in his services.

I keep hearing about this Pre season torture camp and that Vidot didn't impress, but i can't find anything that says what he did wrong. Does anyone know?

Well, you won't find anything in the press about it but he was letting down the group he was in.

I obviously don't expect people to believe a new poster on here ( which is understandable and something I don't take offence at ) but I do have first hand knowledge that he did.

Blokes a stain FFS. do not want

Well, you won't find anything in the press about it but he was letting down the group he was in.

I obviously don't expect people to believe a new poster on here ( which is understandable and something I don't take offence at ) but I do have first hand knowledge that he did.

Didn't he cost his group Tim Tams by being lazy or lagging? If they were those sweet new Adriano Zumbo special edition ones I can imagine he'd be unpopular in the playing group.

I dunno, the guy's been at a few clubs now and never quite established himself as a must-have. Whether it's an issue with talent or training or fitness or attitude or something else I hope he gets his shit together and back into first grade, either here or somewhere else. Maybe just seeing that his NRL career could be on the slide caused him to panic and try to find any other club who could use him in first grade.

Either way I do feel sorry for him as he's at best the third choice for wing after Kahu and Oates and off contract this year, but to give up after 3 weeks and try to leave instead just looks like taking the easy option.

Vidot had a choice, work on the things he was told to and he'd be back in the top side or not in which case he'd be stuck in ISC and not wanted. It's obvious he is looking for the easy option, seeya later not interested in players not willing to put in to all aspects of their game 100% and fix any issues the coaching staff bring up. Right now I would take Miranta over Vidot every time, he may not make the same metres as Vidot does on a consistent basis, but Miranta at least gives his all.

Wayne didn't say he'd be back "with the broncos".

All his discpline issues were minor; no scandal here. Simple fact is he isn't wanted which is Bennett's call. Jets' players were told on Tuesday he wouldn't be back.

Truth is he wasn't wanted from the start; Jets knew they were going to have him from December.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • mystico
  • Jazza
  • Broncosarethebest
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Harry Sack
  • Culhwch
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Lurker
  • Jedhead
  • sooticus
  • Ondi
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.