FOOTBALL English Premier League 23/24 Discussion

If they announce him and parade him around Stamford Bridge before the game vs Liverpool this weekend that will be so cold 😍
So they should, he's already a cult hero already for knocking Liverpool back.

3 days ago it was basically a foregone conclusion that he was going to Chelsea. He's been shacked up in London waiting for the deal and excluded from Brighton's pre-season.

...what I find confusing is Chelsea fans now claiming they're in the race for top 4. Just a week ago you would barely have any Chelsea fan who would have said they were (even with Caicedo perceived as inevitable). The Nkunku injury has happened since too.

Arguably, the Lavia situation is more consequential for Liverpool as he was the clear #1 target and they've now seemingly lost him. I think Caicedo was just a hail mary that they probably had no business throwing but I'm not sure it changes the outlook on the league from Chelsea's perspective.

Ultimately I think one of two things has happened here:
1. Caicedo told Liverpool he was keen on the move and then backflipped at the 11th hour (probably due to a wage increase from Chelsea)
2. Gross negligence from Liverpool transfer team who didn't bother asking the player if he was interested in joining before throwing $111mil at Brighton.

Take your pick as to which is more likely.

The Chelsea fans that were shitting on his stats post the Liverpool bid, have changed their tune real quick though, in a shock to nobody.

Enzo $107m
Rice $105mil
Antony $85mil
Darwin $75mil
Hojland $75mil
Lavia $50mil

Probably not but in this market its about the right price for a world class player.
I think far and away the best signing is Kovacic for 25mill. Both from a price, quality and fit for the system he is going into. I don't get why Chelsea moved him on. Lavia for me is a big risk and City moved him on for a reason. Like Sancho I think they will take the sell on clause rather than take the risk at the price to bid.

I think far and away the best signing is Kovacic for 25mill. Both from a price, quality and fit for the system he is going into. I don't get why Chelsea moved him on. Lavia for me is a big risk and City moved him on for a reason. Like Sancho I think they will take the sell on clause rather than take the risk at the price to bid.
City also put a buy-back clause into Lavia's contract for a reason. He was 18yo and ready for first team football when they let him go - the only risk was that he would have a break out season. He's basically did that which is why Chelsea and Liverpool are after him.

I don't think City were factoring in Southampton being relegated. In any case, City can buy him back next summer for 40mil and have a sell-on fee if he's taken before then. It was actually quite brilliant business from them.

Agree Kova is a great deal. In the scheme of things though there have been some really good value deals go under the radar for midfielders:

Alvarez > West Ham ($38mil)
Angelo > Chelsea ($15mil)
Berge > Burnley ($14mil)
Dahoud > Brighton (Free)
Tielemans > Villa (Free)

There's value in the market it's just a case of finding it and moving fast before bidding wars begin.

p.s You are seeing now why Chelsea let Kovacic go - to free up space in the squad for new signings while also helping FFP.

City also put a buy-back clause into Lavia's contract for a reason. He was 18yo and ready for first team football when they let him go - the only risk was that he would have a break out season. He's basically did that which is why Chelsea and Liverpool are after him.

I don't think City were factoring in Southampton being relegated. In any case, City can buy him back next summer for 40mil and have a sell-on fee if he's taken before then. It was actually quite brilliant business from them.

Agree Kova is a great deal. In the scheme of things though there have been some really good value deals go under the radar for midfielders:

Alvarez > West Ham ($38mil)
Angelo > Chelsea ($15mil)
Berge > Burnley ($14mil)
Dahoud > Brighton (Free)
Tielemans > Villa (Free)

There's value in the market it's just a case of finding it and moving fast before bidding wars begin.

p.s You are seeing now why Chelsea let Kovacic go - to free up space in the squad for new signings while also helping FFP.
City also have the option to match highest bid. I don't think they will use it for Lavia. City rarely buy back. Not sure Pep sees Lavia as his style of player. I think if they buy back it's to sell on again like Angelino. I think the McAtee example shows City don't see him back at City. Lavia will be like Luiz a premier league quality player but not a city player and they will be happy to use the cash to offset other business. I agree with what you are saying about Chelsea as to why they sold him. I just don't agree with choice to sell Kovacic. I think it's an error on their part.

City also have the option to match highest bid. I don't think they will use it for Lavia. City rarely buy back. Not sure Pep sees Lavia as his style of player. I think if they buy back it's to sell on again like Angelino. I think the McAtee example shows City don't see him back at City. Lavia will be like Luiz a premier league quality player but not a city player and they will be happy to use the cash to offset other business. I agree with what you are saying about Chelsea as to why they sold him. I just don't agree with choice to sell Kovacic. I think it's an error on their part.
“We had, and we have, an incredible opinion about him. We thought to keep him, but maybe he would not (get) enough minutes like he has in Southampton." - Pep.

Of course they wont match the highest bid, they have Rodri. The situation is literally no different to when he left for Southampton. Phillips being fit makes it arguably worse for any potential minutes. City aren't going to jump in now to then sell him immediately, they've got a right winger to buy.

I think Enzo and Caicedo are both more suited to Poch's style than Kovacic ever would be. Kova also made it very clear he wanted out. They've sold a phenomenal player but I'm not sure its an error. Probably the best for all parties.

Arsenal vs Forest kickoff has been delayed since fans can't get into the Emirates 😂

Considering the prices paid for other mids, what a pickup Tonali looks to have been for Newcastle.

The goal he got was just a bonus, such a steady head in that midfield 3 with Bruno G.

In a well beaten team, Diaby looked really exciting for Villa too.

Considering the prices paid for other mids, what a pickup Tonali looks to have been for Newcastle.

The goal he got was just a bonus, such a steady head in that midfield 3 with Bruno G.

In a well beaten team, Diaby looked really exciting for Villa too.
Bruno is one of the most underrated players in the prem, he's a beast.

I don't have the same opinion of Tonali. I think he'll get found out by the better teams

Yeah Newcastle has a stacked side with some handy depth. Strong all around the park. Despite the competition up top the big 6 have become the big 7 and at the minute Newcastle are definitely not the 7th best.

Soon it will be the big 8 when Wolves become a global powerhouse.

Yeah Newcastle has a stacked side with some handy depth. Strong all around the park. Despite the competition up top the big 6 have become the big 7 and at the minute Newcastle are definitely not the 7th best.

Soon it will be the big 8 when Wolves become a global powerhouse.
I fall the other way on them, I think their starting XI is elite but their depth is very questionable. There's not much cover behind their CBs (they are starting 3 of them at the moment). I don't think they have any adequate cover for Bruno G and LB/RB depth is a problem - Livramento a good signing but he's barely kicked a ball since doing his ACL.

Agree they're a top 6 side on paper but so were Chelsea last season. With UCL on top of their schedule and teams having had an off season to figure them out, I've got them between 6th-9th and Howe to be gone end of season.

Bruno is one of the most underrated players in the prem, he's a beast.

I don't have the same opinion of Tonali. I think he'll get found out by the better teams
Depends how they setup against the better teams.

Today they had 3 against Villas 2 most of the game until Tielmans came on so he basically got to do whatever he wanted.

Just with how much other mids have gone for, I think he's off to a great start. He is also without question an upgrade on the likes of Willock and Longstaff who played as the 3rd in midfield for them last season.

I do agree that they need to stay injury free though. As their starting 11 is good, however the depth isn't there yet. With extra games they could most definitely feel the pinch of the extra minutes they'll be playing across more competitions with higher expectations.

Anyone else stoked to see Harry Kane already Spursing it up at Bayern? 😂

1-0 pool, Diaz. Both teams look threatening but pool moreso. Salah looks sharp as.

Active Now

• Fatboy
  • Santa
  • Wild Horse
  • Foordy
  • mrslong
  • jarro65
  • winslow_wong
  • Bish
  • whykickamoocow
  • Broncosarethebest
  • NSW stables
  • barker
  • Jazza
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • Financeguy
  • Shane Tronc
  • Redux
  • Fozz
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.