CRICKET General Cricket Discussion - 2023/24

Mitch Marsh wins the Allan Border medal, wow. Don't get me wrong, he had a decent 12 months but best player of the year good? How on earth didn't Head win it? Massive innings to win the test championship AND ODI World Cup. I mean...if ever a player deserved it based on just two innings, this is it...and he had some other good ones too.

Then, Women's ODI player - Elise Perry. Women's T20 player - Elise Perry. Women's player of the year - Ash Gardner? Like, this is not a comment on Gardner but surely, if you have a player who wins the two individual awards, surely they automatically take out player of the year?

Weird weird awards night.

Mitch Marsh made contributions, no doubting that. I couldn't tell you how important they were though.

I can tell you how important Travis Head's contributions were, he should have won it.

Marsh's 223 votes were 79 ahead of Cummins and 89 votes ahead of Head.

Marsh accumulated 1638 runs at 58.50 with a strike rate of 96.07, including three centuries and 12 fifties across the voting period. He also claimed seven wickets at 49.71.

India-194 runs at 97 in three ODI
England-118 at Leeds
SA 20/20 tour-186 runs in three 20/20
WC-100's against Pakistan and Bangladesh
Pakistan Tests-344 runs at 86.

Head is too 100 or 0 to win awards like this.

Marsh's 223 votes were 79 ahead of Cummins and 89 votes ahead of Head.

Marsh accumulated 1638 runs at 58.50 with a strike rate of 96.07, including three centuries and 12 fifties across the voting period. He also claimed seven wickets at 49.71.

India-194 runs at 97 in three ODI
England-118 at Leeds
SA 20/20 tour-186 runs in three 20/20
WC-100's against Pakistan and Bangladesh
Pakistan Tests-344 runs at 86.

Head is too 100 or 0 to win awards like this.

Read the context for picking Head for it. He might very well be too 100 or 0 but when he did make hundreds, they were always clutch runs. Any bloke who scores hundreds in two world cup finals in one season should be getting this award unless someone is scoring 2000 runs at 100.

I'm not even saying Marsh is a travesty, he has clearly had a very good season but the reality is, Head made so many crucial runs last year, no one else should have even been in the conversation.

Read the context for picking Head for it. He might very well be too 100 or 0 but when he did make hundreds, they were always clutch runs. Any bloke who scores hundreds in two world cup finals in one season should be getting this award unless someone is scoring 2000 runs at 100.

I'm not even saying Marsh is a travesty, he has clearly had a very good season but the reality is, Head made so many crucial runs last year, no one else should have even been in the conversation.
Didn't Cummins win the ICC international player of the year??

I was expecting him to get the AB medal.

I've read the context and added those players don't win these awards. You can't accumulate enough votes. You win man of the match.

You can be a great finals player that wins four Grand Finals, but you don't win a Browlow- you win two Norm Smith Medals.

37 players voted and they didn't give Head enough votes.

If a player on the Indian team scored a match winning 100 in either the WTC Final or the ODI World Cup, that player would be getting every single award he can possibly get by the BCCI.

It's not enough to be ranked the #1 team, nobody cares. India I believe were ranked #1 in every format, they've actually got nothing to show for it. We do, because of Travis Head. He should be recognised for that.

If a player on the Indian team scored a match winning 100 in either the WTC Final or the ODI World Cup, that player would be getting every single award he can possibly get by the BCCI.

It's not enough to be ranked the #1 team, nobody cares. India I believe were ranked #1 in every format, they've actually got nothing to show for it. We do, because of Travis Head. He should be recognised for that.
He was recognised, he got MOTM in both those games.

It's an award like the Dally M. You get votes across every match you play. Would you expect an NRL player to win if they played 2 amazing games across the entire season? We may as well delay the Dally M by a week and just give it to whoever won the Clive Churchill so they can be properly recognised for their performance.

It's an award like the Dally M. You get votes across every match you play. Would you expect an NRL player to win if they played 2 amazing games across the entire season? We may as well delay the Dally M by a week and just give it to whoever won the Clive Churchill so they can be properly recognised for their performance.

I mean...Ponga won it this year on like two games.

I get your point but the Dally M is a shit example.

It's a broken system, just be the only decent player in a shit team and make it into the 8, any time your team wins you are probably tallying 3 points.

Tells you all you need to know about Indian pitches when Joe Root opens the bowling for England. Im becoming more and more of a fan of letting the opposition teams choose whether they want to bat or bowl first to try and clamp down on some of the pitches countries put up for test cricket.

McDermott gets a hundred with a six that went straight through the fielders' hands. He literally could not have been better positioned to take an absolute sitter.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Sproj
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Dash
  • Xzei
  • Battler
  • rj9
  • GCBRONCO
  • Alec
  • Strop
  • Gaz
  • Jedhead
  • Maroon4life
  • Big Del
  • BooKhaki
  • Hurrijo
  • Wolfie
  • broncsgoat
  • FACTHUNT
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.