How much is too much for Payne? The saga continues...

What is the maximum per year you would offer Haas?

• Total voters
Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Short and sweet, we're doing the contract dance with Payne. I think most of us can probably agree he's worth close to if not 1million (based on performance), but how much is too much? I would be willing to go to 1.1 initially with perhaps a 1.3 at the end of a 5 year (assuming the salary cap continues to go up) but I couldn't start at 1.3 and go upwards - at that point you have to think can you get someone else for 900 that won't quite give you the same stats but not far off and the rest invested retaining others?

Over to you fellow Louise Lanigan's...

I'm pulling the offer and chasing Tino, **** this clown and his manager and their season sabotaging timing.
He is not a Bronco.

I actively don't want him in the club anymore even if he was willing to stay for unders.

Twice now this dipshit and his manager have held the season hostage with their announcements.

Hate him more than Turncoates now.

$1m under the current cap is only about $800k under the old cap now, so his manager will likely be asking for more now.

I went with $1.1m, but could see it getting pushed out to $1.2m

He's starting to affect games into winning positions now, which is a big plus for a prop, but is necessary when you're asking for so much money

I'm pulling the offer and chasing Tino, **** this clown and his manager and their season sabotaging timing.
He is not a Bronco.

I actively don't want him in the club anymore even if he was willing to stay for unders.

Twice now this dipshit and his manager have held the season hostage with their announcements.

Hate him more than Turncoates now.

Do you think Tino will wait 12 months to come to us, because no way we can afford him next year.

$1.1 to $1.2 million is fair for what Payne adds to the side given the higher salary cap and the additional he's added to his game.

I can see a desperate club get themselves in trouble by offering $1.5 million +

Do you think Tino will wait 12 months to come to us, because no way we can afford him next year.

Not necessarily. If we sign him for '25, we can just do a swap with the Titans for Haas for next season as a base but there may be other options as well.

“We’re pretty clear that we are going to wait until November 1,”

“We’re four months away from November 1 and it would ...be a smart decision to wait until November 1 seeing Payne is the player he is and there is a possibility he may get the Dally M award this year.

“We have discussed it and we are going to wait until November 1. His (preference) is to stay in Brisbane. He also understands that there are other opportunities so he wants to look at those opportunities when they present themselves and then go from there – weigh up the pros and cons and go from there.”

Quote from the manager on Fox website.

Not necessarily. If we sign him for '25, we can just do a swap with the Titans for Haas for next season as a base but there may be other options as well.

Payne has to want to go to the Titans ... this isn't the US where we can just trade a player

Payne has to want to go to the Titans ... this isn't the US where we can just trade a player

It really doesn't matter if he wants to go there or not, because every other team in the comp will want him and be willing to pay a massive chunk to make it happen. As I said, that was just the base option.

Can't oblige the bloke for wanting to make the most he can while he can. He's a work horse, we'll win premierships with or without him.

Reece Walsh is the guy we can't live without.

Not entirely sure what the benefit of hitting The open market is if he wants to stay in the NRL. I cannot see any other teams matching what we can, unless he wants a pub. I’m really starting to think he isn’t happy with the club.
I reckon Dolphins are a red hot chance. “His preference is to stay in Brisbane”. Considering we are already losing Fleggs, Herbie and Palasia and only bringing in Fletcher Baker, it isn’t a great look. We put all our eggs in the Haas basket and it looks like it wont be paying off.
Buckle yourselves in folks, we are in for a great next 6m worth of stories. Media to have a field day with this.
Now its time to offer 1m to Tino, I cant see Payne sticking around.

Not entirely sure what the benefit of hitting The open market is if he wants to stay in the NRL. I cannot see any other teams matching what we can, unless he wants a pub. I’m really starting to think he isn’t happy with the club.
I reckon Dolphins are a red hot chance. “His preference is to stay in Brisbane”. Considering we are already losing Fleggs, Herbie and Palasia and only bringing in Fletcher Baker, it isn’t a great look. We put all our eggs in the Haas basket and it looks like it wont be paying off.
Buckle yourselves in folks, we are in for a great next 6m worth of stories. Media to have a field day with this.
Now its time to offer 1m to Tino, I cant see Payne sticking around.

Tigers and Bulldogs in particular will likely offer more than we are prepared to spend.

I just can't see him going to another rebuilding club though

Tigers and Bulldogs in particular will likely offer more than we are prepared to spend.
I’m doubtful of that. I’d say it’ll be on par, sure. But you look at those two clubs and their position, they’re where we were 3yrs ago. Payne apparently wants a premiership, not happening at either of those clubs in the next 3-5yrs.
Add cost of living in Syd + the fact he’ll be away from family, I cannot see why either club would look a better option then Brisbane.
I’d say it’s a management ploy to up his $ from Brisbane. Payne and his management know we cannot afford to lose him

Now that we’re discussing how much Payne is worth, I would like to throw it out here. Hypothetically, if we & the Dogs both offer, 5 year $1.2M per season, which way would he go?

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • Organix
  • Fozz
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.