NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can almost guarantee that whoever was in charge of the design banged their head against a brick wall trying to get a similar image of Australian soldiers, and even if they were able to find something suitable, would have had to jump through so many fucking hoops (with no one knowing who has authority to sign off on its use etc), getting passed around, sitting in 5 people's "too hard, someone else deal with it" basket, and with the deadline looming, someone just had to pull the pin and say "find something on the internet". A $10 royalty-free image was a better outcome than having nothing at all.

3000.jpg

Done. Took me 5 minutes on Google Images.

And to really top of this whole joke of so called offensiveness, thy bloody well had the image checked by the ARMY.

Actually, they didn't. They lied about that. No one from the Army has spoken to the Tigers and they weren't consulted about the design and the use of the image. The ADF have their own images for this purpose that they're happy to supply to clubs.

They tried to go the cheap route grabbing a $10 image online and tried to pass it off as ADF soldiers and they were caught out so now they're in damage control.

To say this is nothing, incorrect. It's an embarrassment.

I would like to know what license they got.

If they just got the basic one, I'm pretty sure that doesn't give them the right to manufacture jerseys with the image and make money from it.

You've gotta spend more money to get that type of license that allows you to do that.

The marketing intern-junior could’ve picked up the phone to ANY army barracks, museum or anyone that stores images, told them it’s the wests tigers looking for a genuine image of ANZAC soldiers. Would’ve taken 5 minutes from Holdsworthy for example, ask for 100 images and fkn pick one. Maybe change the image into a silhouette. WHATEVER. The kids at a local primary school would’ve done a better job honouring our ANZACs.
You can **** right off with your incompetence on and off the field, Tiggers.

Regardless of whether one sees this as a storm in a teacup or a serious, serious breach, surely this has to be the final, final, final, final straw for Pascoe?

Actually, they didn't. They lied about that. No one from the Army has spoken to the Tigers and they weren't consulted about the design and the use of the image. The ADF have their own images for this purpose that they're happy to supply to clubs.

They tried to go the cheap route grabbing a $10 image online and tried to pass it off as ADF soldiers and they were caught out so now they're in damage control.

To say this is nothing, incorrect. It's an embarrassment.
Yes, that is spot on, they lied about it

Obviously I wrote what I did before that news broke and I believed the Tigers claim

I completely agree that lying about having it checked is the height of incompetence and more!

I would like to know what license they got.

If they just got the basic one, I'm pretty sure that doesn't give them the right to manufacture jerseys with the image and make money from it.

You've gotta spend more money to get that type of license that allows you to do that.

The standard license for these images allows for up to something like 100,000 reproductions. They aren't selling that many jerseys. The question would more be other promo material, if they have any handouts, flyers, booklets featuring the image (not the jersey with the image, but the image itself as part of the design) it can rack up quick.

I don't buy the "we have loads of photos they could have used". Big departments, especially government departments, are a nightmare to deal with. I'm sure some marketing / PR guy would say "yeah I would have just said fucking go for it", but they would almost certainly have a very short leash as to what can be used for what purpose, especially something like a collaboration with another commercial entity. And if the designer was "lucky" enough to get a cowboy who was happy enough to sign off on something without proper chain of authority, that person won't last long.

The standard license for these images allows for up to something like 100,000 reproductions. They aren't selling that many jerseys. The question would more be other promo material, if they have any handouts, flyers, booklets featuring the image (not the jersey with the image, but the image itself as part of the design) it can rack up quick.

I don't buy the "we have loads of photos they could have used". Big departments, especially government departments, are a nightmare to deal with. I'm sure some marketing / PR guy would say "yeah I would have just said fucking go for it", but they would almost certainly have a very short leash as to what can be used for what purpose, especially something like a collaboration with another commercial entity. And if the designer was "lucky" enough to get a cowboy who was happy enough to sign off on something without proper chain of authority, that person won't last long.
100% that it would have taken some time to clear with a Government Department, but I assume they would have planned this in advance (not just designed and released it all in a week or 2).

100% that it would have taken some time to clear with a Government Department, but I assume they would have planned this in advance (not just designed and released it all in a week or 2).

Oh no, this is exactly the sort of shit that people sit on for months, and only when the deadline smacks them in the face do they run around like a lunatic, and realise that nothing works fast when government departments are involved.

Oh no, this is exactly the sort of shit that people sit on for months, and only when the deadline smacks them in the face do they run around like a lunatic, and realise that nothing works fast when government departments are involved.
Either way, looks like it didn't take them that long to redesign it properly lol.
Edda60eb015baa2a9a14c74e0f8d5143

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Tim K
  • Justwin
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Santa
  • Ras
  • Swordfish
  • Culhwch
  • Big Del
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.