NSW - Will they do it?

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Origin is close enough for me to be getting excited about it, but I'm also a little worried. If the NSW selectors have any brains (which luckily judging on last year, they dont) they can come up with a team that can be much more competitive than the last 3 years.

With good selections, they could come up with the following in key positions

6. Campese
7. Wallace
9. Farrah
13. Mateo

Is it only me, or does the thought of Mateo in a blues jersey cause some concern. We have never really seen a player with the skills of Mateo in origin, a big fast backrower that can also play in the halves or front row. Coupled with Campese's knack of getting 40-20's and wallace's ever increasing kicking game there is enough to give our boys some worries.

Whether they choose these players is another thing though.

Maybe i shouldnt put this on the net in case the selectors see it ...... [icon_shady

On our side, I cant see any reason to stray from Thurston and Prince in the halves. I think Hodges should be overlooked for Inglis and Folau in centres with Folau on the wing in defence to defuse those high balls. With tate gone there will be 2 wing spots free, so Boyd for one and perhaps Kemp on the other. The backrow is where i think we are light on and NSW will definitely have the advantage. We dont really have any ball playing 2nd rowers. Maybe time for shillington and the likes to step up and get a spot.

Is there anyone you think will make the step up to origin this year? Dave taylor? Will NSW finally select orford (fingers crossed)?

So you think Lockyer should be left out?

The Rock said:
At this stage of the season, with the form shown so far coupled with experiece, this is my first choices for the key positions. (mind you, it's been changing quickly..)

1. Stewart
6. Barrett
7. Wallace
9. Farah

Apparently he's quite good at the wrestle on the ground.......

I'm going to pretend Queenslander forgot about Lockyer at 5/8th, Prince? LOL

Prince should be halfback. Lockyer five-eighth. Thurston bench utility.

Perhaps the exclusion of Lockyer can be attributed to today's date. [icon_shady

I actually think Campese has been going better than Barrett...but Barrett has been good in Origin.

I hope they don't select Mateo, but their problem has never been back-rowers, it has been their lack of props. If they select Kite & Bailey I think we are in for a tough time!

I think NSW need big match experience in the halves, at least one of them, so you wouldn't put Campese and Wallace/Pearce together for example, or Mateo and Wallace/Pearce or something stupid like that.

Hell, I wouldn't pick Pearce at all, ever!

At the same time, picking like Barrett and Kimmorley together is not a good idea - two past heroes, you probably need some youthful exuberance in one of the jerseys.

So I think realistically they have to go with one of these combinations:

6. Campese
7. Kimmorley

6. Barrett
7. Wallace

And at 9 have either Ennis or Farah.

Coxy said:
Prince should be halfback. Lockyer five-eighth. Thurston bench utility.

I think the selectors need to bite the bullet and only select 2 of those 3 in the team. Having one of them on the bench seems a waste of a bench spot IMO. I'd be happy with any combination of those 3 in the halves, but they'd have to be brave to leave lockyer out.

Well by picking Thurston on the bench I'm saying leave either Hunt or Slater out. Idea being you can bring Thurston on to play five-eighth and shift Locky back to fullback, which has worked to great effect for Australia on a couple of occasions.

But then with Cam Smith now playing more of a mixture of hooker/half for the Storm he could just as easily be the replacement half.

And if they do leave one of the three out, it simply has to be Prince. As good as he is, he's not proven consistently at this level.

I would like to see:

1. Stewart
6. Barrett
7. Wallace
9. Ennis

Combination with Wallace at Brisbane is why I picked Ennis.

Yep, plus Farah can get pwned by big forwards. Ennis has a bit more mongrel about him.

Coxy said:

Yes, i do. We won last year without him! Thurston has shown he can control a game. Remember, we won the 3rd game even after Prince left the field with a broken arm in the opening minutes. We won the 2nd game with prince and thurston in control. If lockyer's form is a mile better than princes come origin, then yeah, they should go with locky but prince and thurston won us last years series, so why change that? its time to build up that combination, not change it just coz lockyer wants another game.

As for you suggesting locky at fullback, obviously that is a aprils fool. Locky at fullback in club games would be questionable, but in state of origin he would get found out. hes just not as fast as he used to be.

QUEENSLANDER said:
Coxy said:

Yes, i do. We won last year without him! Thurston has shown he can control a game. Remember, we won the 3rd game even after Prince left the field with a broken arm in the opening minutes. We won the 2nd game with prince and thurston in control. If lockyer's form is a mile better than princes come origin, then yeah, they should go with locky but prince and thurston won us last years series, so why change that? its time to build up that combination, not change it just coz lockyer wants another game.

As for you suggesting locky at fullback, obviously that is a aprils fool. Locky at fullback in club games would be questionable, but in state of origin he would get found out. hes just not as fast as he used to be.

LOLZ!

Lockyer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Prince
Lockyer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Thurston

Thurston can win games, you're right. He can also completely lose his head and fcuk up the whole thing. Lockyer is the calming influence he needs. And when Locky's gone, Prince can fill the same role.

As for Locky at fullback, I was suggesting that for like 10 minute periods at the end of each half, get him out of the front defensive line when his forward protectors will be getting tired themselves. Plus it gives him the opportunity to rove in attack.

It's not my preferred option, but it's an option.

Thurston's not an organiser's arsehole, so ideally I'd have Prince ahead of him at halfback...but I also realise Thurston's a match winner.

So, for Origin let Lockyer do the organising and Thurston do the individual stuff.

Oh, and I for one would love them to leave Lockyer out. I'd much rather him play for the Broncos rather than get injured playing Origin.

Coxy said:
QUEENSLANDER said:
Coxy said:

LOLZ!

Lockyer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Prince
Lockyer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Thurston

Thurston can win games, you're right. He can also completely lose his head and fcuk up the whole thing. Lockyer is the calming influence he needs. And when Locky's gone, Prince can fill the same role.

As for Locky at fullback, I was suggesting that for like 10 minute periods at the end of each half, get him out of the front defensive line when his forward protectors will be getting tired themselves. Plus it gives him the opportunity to rove in attack.

It's not my preferred option, but it's an option.

Thurston's not an organiser's arsehole, so ideally I'd have Prince ahead of him at halfback...but I also realise Thurston's a match winner.

So, for Origin let Lockyer do the organising and Thurston do the individual stuff.

Locky isnt the player he used to be. Wallace is the one doing most of the playmaking at the broncos right now. I cant see a reason why QLD need him as much as we used to. To suggest lockyer is that much better than thurston is a joke. Overall, career wise, of course you're right. Right now? Not so much

Hehehehe, non-logical.
Kinda like de-necessary.

Shouldn't pay out on you, you're agreeing with me! :P

Active Now

• Organix
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.