Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Pouring through NRL.com's numbers.

3 Tries
0 Conversions
2 Penalty Goals

Three tries, all down the left hand edge to Kahu, Milford and Oates respectively. Unfortunately they left Parker with difficult conversions, and he struggled to claim them with the wind.

In fairness to Parker, even Michael Gordon who kicks at 82% missed his sole conversion of the evening from the right hand touchline.

David Middleton had an interesting theory surrounding the option of taking the two. While he doesn't have an exact figure, he believes that teams often score a try after kicking the conversion. On this occasion he was right with Milford scoring after the Parker shot at goal off the Gutherson spill. The Broncos almost scored after their second penalty goal, but a forward pass in the lead up denied the Broncos such fortune. Perhaps this is something to keep in mind moving forward?

Brisbane had 51% of the ball
Completed 28/40 sets
For a 70% completion rate

Parramatta completed 21/35 for a 60% completion rate

The Broncos typically have a better completion rate than that. Last year they averaged a completion rate of 78%, which includes their diabolical performance where they completed at 72%. However, the difference on that occasion is the Broncos made 20 errors, tonight they made 12 with Greg Eden making 4 errors (and being responsible for Wallace's fumble off the kick off).

Parramatta did more with the ball when they had it. They ran it more (171 runs v 164) and incoporated more second-phase (18 offloads to 8). However, the Broncos were far more effective with the ball gaining more ground (1356m v 1248m) and breaking the Eels line five times to the Eels two.

In defence, the numbers suggest the Eels were more solid in the middle making 368 tackles to the Broncos 309 yet conceding less missed tackles at 17 versus the Broncos 29. Clearly the line-break numbers show the Broncos took more advantage of their opportunities (5 to 2 Broncos) and they may demonstrate the Broncos stronger capacity to make cover tackles. Furthermore, the Broncos came up with two big efforts forcing two goal-line drop outs with their defence, where as Parramatta did not apply any pressure in that regard.

In terms of individual performances, 5 players made over 100m and three made 30+ tackles. Corey Oates made the most metres of anyone, gaining 193 impressive metres while McGuire was the most effective of the forward gaining 163 through the middle. In defence Nathan Peats was the most impressive player on the park amassing an impressive 60 tackles without a single miss while for the Broncos Andrew McCullough got through his usual 43 tackles but had 3 misses to his name. New recruit Beau Scott was also impressive for the Eels making 40 tackles for only 1 miss. The Broncos new recruit had his work cut-out for him facing off against the lethal pairing of Jennings and Radradra and handled himself nicely make 17 tackles for only 2 misses, easily the most of any back on the night.

Before the game, Gus Gould singled out the two benches of each side as a point of difference. While he thought the Eels bench was good, he thought the Broncos bench was great.

The numbers say differently.

Parramatta's bench made more runs (34 runs Parra v 26), more metres (267m Parra v 192m), more tackles (87 tackles Parra v 67) while conceding the same number of missed tackles (3 v 3). While not a huge area of concern, these figures suggest the Broncos bench failed to play to expectations and will need to deliver in the future.

No matter what, we do defence really well. The structures are excellent and the reads great not to mention the effective tackling. Great to watch and it won us the match for mine.

Classic Bennett, emphasis on the defence from the get-go.

The attack will sort itself out soon enough, but get our structures in place defensively first.

Good start to the season with a bit of rust around the playmakers, but hopefully that'll disappear once they've had a few more games under their belts together.

Good start to the season :takdir:

I noticed the refs didn't want to ping anyone for not playing the ball correctly.

Happened a few times, nothing.

I really liked the physicality of our defence. Parra had plenty of big hard runners ,but they were generally put down nice and hard. Our line speed wasn't too bad either. Overall a good start to the season for sure. One thing I hope for next week is a better kicking game. . Hunts bombs are being too easily handled.

Well it's an improvement on Round 1 last year, both on the field and on the points table. Starting from a higher base so I'm sure they will continue to improve. The try we let in was a mess all round, dropped balls and a poor decision from the centre to come in. Much like the tries Wigan scored.

A typical grinding win from the Broncos. The attack spluttered along as it tends to early on in the season. Defense was very good which is the backbone of the this team. Gillett played one heck of a game.

I was pretty high last night so I don't really remember, but was the refereeing really bad at some stages? Like I'm certain I saw a point where one of our players passed from dummy half, the marker stuck his hand out and knocked it on, we picked it back up and it was called play on, 5th and last.

But yeah, Oates was incredible, the ONLY thing that worries me about him is his health, I swear every time he takes a tackle or lands from taking a bomb I think both of his knees are just going to buckle underneath him, they seem so flimsy.

Wasn't the best game, but we can only get better. Felt like we really didn't attack at all in 2nd half and just completed a normal set everytime. Great stuff by Oates and Gillett. Was quite impressed with glenn, passed a nice ball for Oates to score.

I was pretty high last night so I don't really remember, but was the refereeing really bad at some stages? Like I'm certain I saw a point where one of our players passed from dummy half, the marker stuck his hand out and knocked it on, we picked it back up and it was called play on, 5th and last.

But yeah, Oates was incredible, the ONLY thing that worries me about him is his health, I swear every time he takes a tackle or lands from taking a bomb I think both of his knees are just going to buckle underneath him, they seem so flimsy.

Thats right. Hunt "knock on". Only it landed behind him after he touched it.
Then there was at least one dubious stripped ball call and then there was the onside offside call that admittedly was a tiny bit harder to get right than Gillette being called offside when he was 40m onside.

Can't complain about the bunker, though. Snappy and correct calls so far.

Thats right. Hunt "knock on". Only it landed behind him after he touched it.

Nah that's not the one I'm talking about, I think it was McCullough out of dummy half, I'll have to watch the replay or something.

Oates, Gillette and Glenn are just machines, great game. Thought Milf was a little Mia for majority and Eden had a night to forget. First game so all good but the warriors will be a massive test and a step up on the eels. Bugger about Kahu, poor bastard.

Nah that's not the one I'm talking about, I think it was McCullough out of dummy half, I'll have to watch the replay or something.

Yeah I remember that one.I thought ref got the call wrong too.Was a head scratcher.

Re-read your post. There was a pass knocked down by Parra and yeah the ref called 5th and last.

The on field refereeing didn't seem any better than usual but the bunker at least was fair.

We got the 2 points against a very committed eels team who were primed for this game and are renowned fast starters to the season. Whilst the attack looked a bit out of place, we have the whole season to work on that. But our defence was top notch from the start which is fantastic to see. Hunt blew the cobwebs out and will be much more dangerous next week and Milford will play a lot better when Hunt is on. Overall solid effort, bit disappointing about kahus injury (hopefully reeds fit next week) and still a lot to work on which will please Bennett.

I thought the Broncos came down to Parra's level in attack. The Eels froze with fear at making a mistake without their halves and didn't try enough to win. In the second half the Broncos did the same they just went through the game. They played plenty of 4/40 football.

Hunt's kicking game didn't put any pressure on from the end of sets to the next.

I wrote yesterday on here Eden makes mistakes if he makes one and that's pretty much what happened. It wasn't his greatest night hopefully he can get another crack. Also said he will get a run at a fullback and he had a few to get moving.

I won't be shocked if Reed plays tomorrow. Failing that Glenn into the centres.

I think they will have plenty of 5-6/10 in the meeting on Monday.

I thought the Broncos came down to Parra's level in attack. The Eels froze with fear at making a mistake without their halves and didn't try enough to win. In the second half the Broncos did the same they just went through the game. They played plenty of 4/40 football.

Hunt's kicking game didn't put any pressure on from the end of sets to the next.

I wrote yesterday on here Eden makes mistakes if he makes one and that's pretty much what happened. It wasn't his greatest night hopefully he can get another crack. Also said he will get a run at a fullback and he had a few to get moving.

I won't be shocked if Reed plays tomorrow. Failing that Glenn into the centres.

I think they will have plenty of 5-6/10 in the meeting on Monday.
Opacic not ready for Hurrell's Knees?

Not a bad start to the season for mine particularly in defense, our attack had a few good moments put pretty rusty overall which can be expected.

Gillett and Oates were outstanding, Gillett just smashed em through the middle. Roberts still looks short of a gallop to me, he was already blowing pretty hard at the 12 minute mark so I think he will just gradually improve as the weeks go by but Wayne probably needs to remind him to come look for the ball at times too.

Overall Parra put up an reasonable fight but even with Norman on the field in the first half we still looked in control defensively and we only really kept their hopes up in the second half with our ordinary ball control.

I thought the Broncos came down to Parra's level in attack. The Eels froze with fear at making a mistake without their halves and didn't try enough to win. In the second half the Broncos did the same they just went through the game. They played plenty of 4/40 football. Hunt's kicking game didn't put any pressure on from the end of sets to the next. I wrote yesterday on here Eden makes mistakes if he makes one and that's pretty much what happened. It wasn't his greatest night hopefully he can get another crack. Also said he will get a run at a fullback and he had a few to get moving. I won't be shocked if Reed plays tomorrow. Failing that Glenn into the centres. I think they will have plenty of 5-6/10 in the meeting on Monday.

Sorry mate, but I have read this 3 times and have no idea what you are talking about! Haha

Can you please explain the 5-6/10 references etc?

Active Now

• Horseheadsup
  • Skathen
  • Swordfish
  • Broncorob
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.