Round 24 - Broncos vs Knights - Pre Game Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm one of the guys that believes Parker plays the same game whether at prop or lock, but I do agree with you that we've had problems with whomever takes his spot for the reasons you mention.

If people said we need a good lock instead of hammering the "Parker isn't a prop" or plays differently as a prop agenda, it probably would resonate better.

Put Thaiday on the right edge, Gillett on the left (where I believe he plays his best footy), and Kennedy to start with McGuire.
Glenn has been quite good of late, but I would have him as the bench utility alongside Oates, Hannant/Kennedy and Wallace.

I totally agree with Thaiday on the right edge and Gillett on the left.

However, nothing is going to work unless this side is coached to always have someone like Barba, Hunt or Macca trailing Parker, and set plays consistently worked on the edges, similar to the one Thaiday scored.

Copley, as someone else posted ... wtf? With his size, agility and footwork, why isn't he being used regularly in backline movements?

This team has far too many patches where they are a disorganized rabble playing ad hoc football hoping for some individual to do something special.

Maranta to fullback any chance?

1. Hodges (3 games to go - nothing to lose - on his day is ideal at the back and can better than anyone else we have coming into the line)
2. Vidot
3. Oates
4. Copley
5. Kahu
6. Barba
7. Hunt
8. Parker
9. Macca
10. McGuire
11. Gillett (left edge)
12. Thaiday (right edge)
13. Glenn

14. Granville
15. Hannant
16. Kennedy
17. Wallace

Last edited:
I doubt Hodges hamstrings are up to the extra running at fullback. I'd chuck Kahu at fullback.

Maranta went ok for us at fullback before when he was given a chance, so i'd be happy for him to get another crack at it.

As much as i'd love to see Hodgo have a go, i just don't know how his old legs would hold up ?

My only concern is that Kahu has been playing in the centres in QCUP and on the wing in First Grade, who knows how long it's been since he actually played Fullback, whereas Kodi has been playing Fullback most of the year I think.

Kahu plays wing for Wynnum.

Kahu plays wing for Wynnum.

Thanks for further proving my point, he started off in the centres when he first returned from injury, transitioned to the wing. Hasn't played Fullback in a long time.

I'm going to this game so the boys better turn up for this one. I'm not having my night ruined by crap footy. Would like to see Jordan Kahu come back in to first grade even though he doesn't play fullback (I don't think in QLD cup).

I suspect we won't see too many changes.

Barba will come in for Hoffman at the back, Hodges will move into the five eighth role and Reed will take his spot in the centres. Any other changes will just be small, Kahu in for one of the wingers or Wallace in for Kennedy but nothing too big.

I suggested the idea of handing Kodi Nikorima his debut after the Manly game when I thought we needed a bit more zip at the back. It was nothing more but food for thought and I don't know if he's necessarily up to first grade but it's an option I'd definitely consider.

Kahu isn't a bad call either, hadn't really thought of that but I'd probably be in favour of giving Nikorima a go and playing Kahu on the wing. If worse comes to worse, Kahu comes into fullback, Oates onto the wing and you go from there.

I'd like to see the Broncos end the season with their heads held high. I disagree with a lot of people about this season, there's plenty to celebrate moving forward.

Brisbane Broncos centre Justin Hodges poised for positional switch to fullback

ANTHONY Griffin is set to mimic one of Wayne Bennett’s coaching masterstrokes to save Brisbane’s season.

Centre Justin Hodges is in line to be unleashed at fullback for the Broncos’ final three games, each of which they must win convincingly to make the finals.

That quest begins against Bennett’s Newcastle next Saturday at Suncorp Stadium.

Josh Hoffman’s cracked fibula has exposed Brisbane’s lack of play-making depth with Hodges expected to replace the fullback as Jack Reed returns to the centres.

Hodges last played fullback in 2006. He switched from the centres to custodian in round 23 of 2006, replacing Darius Boyd who had replaced the injured Karmichael Hunt.

It was one Wayne Bennett’s greatest decisions during his esteemed, six premiership, Broncos career.

From the moment Hodges reverted to fullback, Brisbane improved rapidly and won six of their next eight games including the grand final.

The current Brisbane team will need to win seven straight to take the premiership and based on their performance against South Sydney on Thursday night they will not win the three straight required to make the finals.

Hoffman will not play again this season but he will be a chance to play in the Four Nations tournament in October.

Hodges’ incredible vision threatened to bring the Broncos back into the contest and South Sydney, which they lost 42-16.

In the second half with the score 24-12, Hodges threw a brilliant cut-out pass from dummy-half to put Daniel Vidot over the line.

Vidot unfortunately dropped the ball, thwarting any hopes of a Brisbane comeback.

Corey Parker admitted he had no idea how they would replace Hoffman.

“You can’t replace Hoffy. Barbs might go back to fullback but then we need a half to fill that void somewhere,” he said.

“I’m not a coach so I’m not sure.

“He is a big loss. He has been going really well.

“To lose him, yeah it is not good.

“I’m sure the coaches will come up with something next week.”

The other option for Griffin is shifting Matt Gillett from the backrow to five-eighth and returning Barba to fullback. Under-20’s five-eighth Kodi Nikorima is also a chance but it is understood Hodges will get the nod.

The Broncos were always light for playmakers this season after Anthony Milford declined to break his Canberra Raiders contract and move to Brisbane a year early.

The Broncos genuinely thought Milford would wear their No.6 this year and once that was shut down they began discussions with former star Karmichael Hunt but the Gold Coast Suns and AFL hosed those negotiations down quickly.

Brisbane were left with a choice of moulding one of three fullbacks Jordan Kahu, Ben Barba and Josh Hoffman into a five-eighth to partner Ben Hunt.

Kahu was favoured until he broke down in a trial match at Redcliffe. Hoffman then played in the No.6 until round 18 then switched with fullback Barba.

Barba has been solid at five-eighth and is unlikely to be moved back to fullback because his confidence under the high ball has deserted him.

Source: Error Page

If that is true and Hodges plays fullback, i think that is an ok decision ... and i would ratherBarba stay at 5/8 and have keep him learning the 5/8 role.

I give Hodgeo 20 minutes at fullback before he redoes his hammy.

Hodgo to fullback might turn out to be a masterstroke yet....at least it'll let Hodgo pick his time to chime into the backline and not make him feel so compelled to rush into dummyhalf so much.

My only concern is the extra running needed, and whether he's physically up to it ??

I hope so .... i'd love to see him do well back there.

I'll continue with the propaganda of which Alec accuses me: we have the players to beat anyone. Note: players. I should emphasise that, rather than say team, which is IMO where the real problem lies.

For mine it is not effort that's the problem. The main reason Hook is going is he can't coach a team to play as a team. The 2 major things that come to mind are composure under pressure, and playing creatively to his roster's strengths.

Someone posted that v Souths, we looked scared. I think that's not far off the mark although I'd say rattled, rather than scared. We seemed to wilt under pressure, slow down, especially in defence, and we lost our shape defensively which the big Souths machine exploited ruthlessly (forgetting GI for a minute).

In attack, we showed some real signs of life. The Thaiday try, the Barba effort to almost score, and the bombed Vidot try. But it was sporadic and again, our attack looked sporadic and ad hoc too often. I still think Macca's service is too slow.

So, shape in defence, keeping it for 80 minutes and critical line speed and aggression is what we lack, and need, and playing to our strengths, of which there are many: Hodges, Copley, Hunt, Barba, Gillett, Vidot, Thaiday to name the stand outs in my mind.

I really get tired of so many posters heaping shit on individuals as both cause of losses and failures to win - especially Gillett, whose defence is an issue, a coaching issue but his running game and positional sense is top notch. His try assist v Souths was a good example. Why isn't he used more in set plays? Same goes for others.

In other words, in attack, we don't play to our strengths. There are no set moves that we can employ consistently across the park. Here, Hunt, Barba and Macca need to really step up, but that is Hook's job first, to give them something to work towards with worked moves and yelling at them to do it.

An true on-field leader in this respect wouldn't go astray either. Hodges ought to really focus more on his captaincy than trying to take on the world single handedly (which he does rather well at times).

I would love to see e.g. some cross field kicks/short kicks, a la Reynolds > Inglis where Hunt/Barba kick to Copley, and some more inside-outside moves but where there is some depth and shape and support, not to mention support for Parkers's and Gillett's offloading skills.

If there is anything I want to see from Bennett, it is NOT new players, but an approach to coaching which creates a team which plays with composure, shape in defence, uses our strike weapons with rehearsed structured plays and some creativity in attack.

On that point, I wonder how many hours of practice Reynolds and Inglis put in to make those kick-chases work. Plenty I bet. Meanwhile, we have someone like Copley standing out there in hope of some quality ball.

I can just dream of Hunt and Copley working together as Reynolds and Inglis did. Copley can be devastating. He is so wasted.

End of rant....

Last edited:
I'll continue with the propaganda of which Alec accuses me: we have the players to beat anyone. Note: players. I should emphasise that, rather than say team, which is IMO where the real problem lies.

For mine it is not effort that's the problem. The main reason Hook is going is he can't coach a team to play as a team. The 2 major things that come to mind are composure under pressure, and playing creatively to his roster's strengths.

Someone posted that v Souths, we looked scared. I think that's not far off the mark although I'd say rattled, rather than scared. We seemed to wilt under pressure, slow down, especially in defence, and we lost our shape defensively which the big Souths machine exploited ruthlessly (forgetting GI for a minute).

In attack, we showed some real signs of life. The Thaiday try, the Barba effort to almost score, and the bombed Vidot try. But it was sporadic and again, our attack looked sporadic and ad hoc too often. I still think Macca's service is too slow.

So, shape in defence, keeping it for 80 minutes and critical line speed and aggression is what we lack, and need, and playing to our strengths, of which there are many: Hodges, Copley, Hunt, Barba, Gillett, Vidot, Thaiday to name the stand outs in my mind.

I really get tired of so many posters heaping **** on individuals as both cause of losses and failures to win - especially Gillett, whose defence is an issue, a coaching issue but his running game and positional sense is top notch. His try assist v Souths was a good example. Why isn't he used more in set plays? Same goes for others.

In other words, in attack, we don't play to our strengths. There are no set moves that we can employ consistently across the park. Here, Hunt, Barba and Macca need to really step up.

I would love to see e.g. some cross field kicks/short kicks, a la Reynolds > Inglis where Hunt/Barba kick to Copley, and some more inside-outside moves but where there is some depth and shape and support, not to mention support for Parkers's and Gillett's offloading skills.

If there is anything I want to see from Bennett, it is NOT new players, but an approach to coaching which creates a team which plays with composure, shape in defence, uses our strike weapons with rehearsed structured plays and some creativity in attack.

On that point, I wonder how many hours of practice Reynolds and Inglis put in to make those kick-chases work. Plenty I bet. Meanwhile, we have someone like Copley standing out there in hope of some quality ball.

I can just dream of Hunt and Copley working together as Reynolds and Inglis did. Copley can be devastating. He is so wasted.

End of rant....

Great post.

I agree 100% with this.

Hopefully Wayne can unleash the potential in this side that Hook appears hellbent on bottling up :rolleyes:

It's not really a risk to put him at fullback, I love him at fullback but let's say that he does get injured then our season is over anyway. Hodges is a champ.

Not sure about Hodges at Fullback. I mean, it's his best position IMO - I still remember him running down Brett Morris after giving him a head start as Fullback, but that was many, many years ago.

The biggest risk to re-injuring something is over doing it. Hodges can't even jump, so how's he gonna catch bombs?

I love Hodges at Fullback, I just hope to heck he doesn't put himself out for the season in attempting it.

Check this shit out:

4:27 for the chase on Morris.

[video=youtube_share;RxmroBo3uWs]http://youtu.be/RxmroBo3uWs?t=4m27s[/video]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• rnabokov
  • Johnny92
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.