Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

I want to see Gillett on the left, feeding off Milford. Moose lock, Thaiday to the right, until one of the youngsters (Timu, TPJ, etc...) is ready.

I want to see Gillett on the left, feeding off Milford. Moose lock, Thaiday to the right, until one of the youngsters (Timu, TPJ, etc...) is ready.

Or.. Milford to the right to combine with Gillett, Roberts & Kahu? :P

Griffin keeps the streak against Wayne Bennett going.

He still hasn't lost to him. Fucking asshole.

Griffin keeps the streak against Wayne Bennett going.

He still hasn't lost to him. Fucking asshole.

I think I heard tonight that it's now 1 win, 8 losses for Bennett against Griffin coached teams.

I think I heard tonight that it's now 1 win, 8 losses for Bennett against Griffin coached teams.

Shit, that's right. He has lost against Bennett.. Forgot about the Round 25, 2013 game.

Still.. Bennett has a real knack for losing these games.

Last edited:
Or actually pass it to the right more. Way too Milford orientated at the moment.

Wtf was that shit last night! Was like we thru the game plan out the window and did the opposite. Hopefully that's a big wake up call to everyone, coach included!

I just watched the post match press conference and from the way Wayne Bennett was talking, I really feel like he was teaching the team a lesson, He said:

"We gave that soft try away just before half time and they (The Broncos) thought they could just turn up in the second half and get away with the win"

I think not bringing on Offa was maybe Wayne's way of making them stay out there and go through the attrition and bring them back down to Earth a little bit.

I loved the first 15 mins or so. The attack in particular, the ball movement, was excellent, really terrific in fact.

What struck me later though was that when the Panthers decided to play hard and fast and in our face, there seemed to be a real lack of leadership in the middle, nobody marshalling the troops, keeping it tight and strong and together. Even Parker admitted that in the presser.

I'm not sure Parker is the man for captain. We need a leader. I hope Parker really steps up in the role asap. For mine, one key factor in the way we lost was the lack of strong leadership when we needed it most.

We showed early on that we had everything we needed to put 20+ points on the Panthers and then it just fell apart.

Also, it's one thing for Bennett to blame the team's mental attitude, it's another to contribute to the decline by not playing Offa and again, a team's attitude on field is in large part a function of strong leadership when things get tough. Bennett blaming the team's attitude is a bit rich for mine

Last edited:
I loved the first 15 mins or so. The attack in particular, the ball movement, was excellent, really terrific in fact.

What struck me later though was that when the Panthers decided to play hard and fast and in our face, there seemed to be a real lack of leadership in the middle, nobody marshalling the troops, keeping it tight and strong and together. Even Parker admitted that in the presser.

I'm not sure Parker is the man for captain. We need a leader. I hope Parker really steps up in the role asap. For mine, one key factor in the way we lost was the lack of strong leadership when we needed it most.

We showed early on that we had everything we needed to put 20+ points on the Panthers and then it just fell apart.

Also, it's one thing for Bennett to blame the team's mental attitude, it's another to contribute to the decline by not playing Offa and again, a team's attitude on field is in large part a function of strong leadership when things get tough. Bennett blaming the team's attitude is a bit rich for mine

He isn't having a go, he is teaching a lesson. He can bang on til he is blue in the face about attitude, sometimes they need to experience it to get the message.

Yeah I did wonder if it was an exercise in mental toughness for them. If it was, they failed; but that's ok. It's Round 3. Bennett may well have seen complacency come into the squad after being a whisker from the premiership, killing it in the UK and taking out the first 2 games fairly comfortably despite not playing well. I do have to wonder if Bennett left it up to the players a little in that second half to see where they're at mentally. I don't want this squad to think they're a shoe-in for the GF again. They need to be hungry, they need to be ruthless and they need to really want it, or we will miss out. Better to reinstill those qualities early in the season rather than later, and it wouldn't surprise me if that was Bennett's goal this week.

Having said that, why Offa wasn't used is beyond me. Especially losing Reed, and with how well Joe has gone in recent weeks, I was disappointed. It may have been a test/lesson for KNik. I don't know. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but I strongly believe Wayne has something up his sleeve. It was very unusual for the team to come out in the second half without their heads - it's not something we've seen since Bennett has been back.

Probably going senile in his old age, it happens to ...............

What was i saying

crap 2nd half obviously. Felt like the forwards werent laying the platform, where as the Panthers non flashy forwards kept punching our line every hitup. Nikorima has some lazy passes and Parker mucks up that restart and says nothing :lol:

Given that this season for mine is going to be a lot tougher than last year, the issue of leadership for me this season is going to be more important than ever.

Simply to instil individual drive and motivation is one thing, and a very important one too, but at the same time, having someone out in the middle, in the thick of things is another, another critical factor to a team's success. When the going gets tough, the tough need to get going, yet there needs to be a catalyst, both a leader who leads by example, and a leader who pulls individuals and the team into shape.

Without casting aspersions on Parker's leadership skills, I am reminded of this: "I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion." (Alexander the Great)

Last edited:
Parker had his first real test of leadership as captain last night, and I'm afraid that he failed miserably. I'm sure he will turn it around but he did nothing to rally the troops and quite literally kicked the game out on the full.

People might say it was a simple mistake and he was trying to force a mistake from the Panthers, but that's not good enough in that circumstance. You kick it off as normal and follow up with a great set in defence to set up your playmakers for a shot or two on the opposition line. By kicking it out he showed the opposite of leadership and put the players he is supposed to lead in a near impossible situation forcing them to try and pull a rabbit out of the hate.

And I say this everything week but he needs to give up the goal kicking, it isn't good enough and it keeps costing us games.

Actually, in those circumstances you roll the dice on a short kickoff. I was stunned when Parker launched it towards the in goal. Better a fifty fifty chance than a one percent chance of getting the ball back. At the time there was only sufficient time for a set each so what did it matter if we didn't get the ball back ?

Actually, in those circumstances you roll the dice on a short kickoff. I was stunned when Parker launched it towards the in goal. Better a fifty fifty chance than a one percent chance of getting the ball back. At the time there was only sufficient time for a set each so what did it matter if we didn't get the ball back ?

Because for the first time in over 12 months we didn't back our defence. That bothers me.

I felt the performance was a manifestation of our showing in the first two rounds.

Against both the Eels and Warriors, we kept inviting them back into the game with very low percentage plays, errors and conceding penalties. Last night was no different, except this time we were made to pay for it. Hopefully the team now realises they need to play the full 80 minutes, stay disciplined and not just expect things to go their way.

A lot of things pissed me off last night, including:

- Hunt putting in a woefully executed chip kick for Milford from our own 40m line.

- Nikorima's pass to Hunt from dummy-half which he dropped. Nikormima's two passes prior to this were extremely lazy, and I actually thought one of them was forward.

- Not taking the two when we could've taken a 24-12 lead if the kick was successful. Was that not the most obvious time ever to take the two?

Just a lot of laziness and stupidity from the team last night IMO. I'm not worried at all, it's only round three and the lessons we learn now will help us in the long run. I honestly feel like we could absolutely obliterate any team in the comp when we're on song - but we can't expect it to happen, we need to work hard for it.

Last year these blokes were playing without any expectations on them, this year they're the favourites.

Active Now

• Horseheadsup
  • Skathen
  • Swordfish
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.