PRE-GAME Round 3 - Tigers vs Broncos

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

They got the better of both the Roosters & Storm forward packs. They arent shit by any means
They are shit. The Roosters and the Storm tried to finesse rather than going through them.

9561244 16x9 2150x1210

Matt Lodge to square off with new role model Russell Packer at Campbelltown Stadium

March 21, 2018

MATT Lodge has appealed for NRL fans to forgive him for his sins as the besieged Broncos prop prepares to square off against fellow former jailbird Russell Packer on Friday night.

Lodge and Packer will meet in a fierce front-row showdown at Campbelltown Stadium and the Broncos bookend admits the Wests Tigers prop has become the ideal role model in his quest for rugby league redemption.

The Lodge-Packer narrative is compelling. Packer was sentenced to two years jail, later reduced to 12 months, for a vicious assault in 2014 – the same year Lodge quit Melbourne and made his first grade debut at the Wests Tigers.

Packer was released from jail in January 2015, the same year in which Lodge embarked on the horrific New York rampage that led to his arrest and two-week stint in Rikers Island prison.

Now Packer is co-captain in the Tigers colours once worn by Lodge, who says the 28-year-old Kiwi international’s reformation is living proof the Broncos prop can also be rehabilitated.

“Russell is a good example to me that you can rebuild your life,” said Lodge, speaking for the first time since making his Broncos debut a fortnight ago.

“Packer did things the hard way but he has come out the other end and he is someone who people now look up to in the NRL.

“A lot of people now respect him. He has turned it all around and it’s good to see.”

Amid the fury and firestorm of criticism aimed at Lodge, it is easy to forget that, just three years ago, Packer was equally reviled.

When he walked out of prison, Packer was initially denied a swift return to the NRL.

He served his penance for a year in park football. Whenever his name popped up, rugby league fans were outraged, calling for Packer to be banned for life from the NRL.

It’s a situation Lodge must find very familiar.

Tomorrow night, Packer runs out to face Lodge armed with a university degree. He hasn’t touched alcohol for five years and makes his own kombucha, a health drink to help his autistic son.

Packer’s journey is proof jailbirds can find salvation in the NRL. Lodge is determined to walk the same path.

“I hope people can give me a chance like they have with Russell,” he said.

“But I also know that it takes time. You can’t just make one apology and expect to be forgiven straight away.

“You have to earn people’s forgiveness and I am prepared to do that.”

It was reported that the Wests Tigers sacked Lodge following his moment of madness in New York but the truth is the 118kg prop cost himself $900,000.

Lodge holds no bitterness towards the Tigers because they secretly agreed to release him to an NRL rival on a rich three-year deal ... 24 hours before he headed to America.

“I had agreed the day before to go to Penrith and then I went for my holiday to New York,” Lodge said.

“I actually signed the release form the day before I went to New York. I was going to go to Penrith for three years but it didn’t get lodged to the NRL, so really, I stitched myself up.

“I’ve got no hard feelings towards the Tigers.

“There’s actually not many blokes left there from my time there, there’s only a handful, so I’m treating this as just another game.”

Lodge is being hailed as a possible State of Origin star but the 22-year-old admits he is currently miles away from that level.

The evidence came in his Broncos debut in round one, when he threw the ill-fated intercept that sent Dragons rival Ben Hunt streaking away for the matchwinner.

“It wasn’t the best start to come back to. What can I do?,” he said.

“I just have to learn from it and keep moving forward. Although my first game didn’t go to plan, it (the intercept) happened and you can’t get down in the dumps.

“It’s going to take a bit of time to get used to the NRL. I’ve had three years out of the game and it’s a tough competition, it’s the best in the world. I am happy with my progress but there is lot of work to do and I have a long way to go.

“The NRL is definitely quicker. I feel comfortable but it’s a level up from the Intrust Super Cup and it might take a month or so to get up to speed. There are some pretty good athletes running around.

“I’m not getting too many sledges out on the field. Most players are pretty good. I give the odd sledge myself, so if I do that, I have to be prepared to cop some back.”

Source: Courier Mail

Preview pics tigers v broncos r3

Wests Tigers v Broncos: Elijah out, Opacic in centres

March 20, 2018

The Tigers are defying expectation early on, with brave victories against competition heavyweights the Roosters and Storm shocking plenty.

Pressure follows the Broncos every season, and following a poor display in their season opener versus the Dragons, they returned to form to defeat the Cowboys last start.

Wayne Bennett will expect a win in Sydney's west, but how can you write-off the home side?

The selections: Tigers coach Ivan Cleary has kept faith with the players who secured two remarkable points in Melbourne last Saturday night. Lock Elijah Taylor is out with a hamstring injury, with Matthew Eisenhuth starting at lock. Utility Michael Chee Kam has an opportunity to shine off the bench.

For the Broncos, Tom Opacic is handed a rare start in the centres after Jordan Kahu's broken jaw. Jaydn Su'A joins the bench, and don't be surprised to see prized off-season recruit Jack Bird make his debut after he was named as one of the reserves.

The key match-up: Benji Marshall v Anthony Milford. Marshall, a fan favourite at the Tigers even before returning to the club for a second stint, has shown in the first couple of rounds he can still manage a game better than most. Milford was brilliant versus the Cowboys and will be keen to replicate that kind of performance across 80 minutes.

For the Tigers to win: They need to score more points. It is highly unlikely 10 points will be enough to topple the men from Red Hill. Their defence has been impressive, but bulk points are essential.

For the Broncos to win: Enthusiasm from the opening minute. On paper it is a game they should win comfortably, but if they start in a lethargic fashion the Tigers could be singing their team song for the third week running.

Tigers Stat Attack: Discipline. After conceding a jaw-dropping 18 penalties last weekend, Cleary's men need to rectify this area of their game. If they don't, it could be a long night at Campbelltown.

Broncos Stat Attack: 708 tackles in the first two rounds tells the story. Brisbane's engine room no doubt will be hoping to spend more time with the ball in hand this week.

And another thing: Watch for Marshall to show the Broncos what they are missing. The veteran was largely used off the interchange bench by Bennett last year, and his electric early season form suggests he is primed for another man of the match performance.

Prediction: Broncos by 8

Wests Tigers: 1 Corey Thompson, 2 David Nofoaluma, 3 Esan Marsters, 4 Kevin Naiqama, 5 Malakai Watene-Zelezniak, 6 Benji Marshall (c), 7 Luke Brooks, 8 Russell Packer, 9 Pita Godinet, 10 Ben Matulino, 11 Chris Lawrence, 12 Robbie Rochow, 13 Matthew Eisenhuth

Interchange: 14 Matt McIlwrick 15 Alex Twal, 16 Michael Chee Kam, 17 Josh Aloiai

Reserves: 18 Tyson Gamble, 19 Sauaso Sue, 20 Tim Grant, 21 Taane Milne

Elijah Taylor (hamstring) is out with Matt Eisenhuth starting at lock and Michael Chee Kam on the bench. The side is otherwise unchanged meaning fullback Corey Thompson and David Nofoaluma hold their spots with Tuimoala Lolohea not yet back.

Broncos: 1 Darius Boyd (c), 2 Corey Oates, 3 James Roberts, 4 Tom Opacic, 5 Jamayne Isaako, 6 Anthony Milford, 7 Kodi Nikorima, 8 Matthew Lodge, 9 Andrew McCullough, 10 Tevita Pangai Jnr, 11 Alex Glenn, 12 Matt Gillett, 13 Josh McGuire

Interchange: 14 Sam Thaiday, 15 Joe Ofahengaue, 16 Korbin Sims, 17 Jaydn Su'A

Reserves: 18 Sam Tagataese, 19 Jack Bird, 20 Jonus Pearson, 21 Todd Murphy

Tom Opacic moves from the bench to starting centre for Jordan Kahu (broken jaw) with Jaydn Su'A joining the bench. Centre Jack Bird has been named in the reserves as he looks to return from off-season shoulder surgery.

Wests Tigers v Brisbane Broncos, Friday 8.05pm AEDT at Campbelltown Stadium

Head-to-head:
26 games, Broncos 20 wins, Wests Tigers 5 wins, 1 draw

Matches at venue: 7 games; Broncos 6 wins, 1 draw

Last five head-to-head: Broncos 4 wins; Wests Tigers 1 wins

2017 result: Broncos win 36-0 at Suncorp Stadium

Points per game: Wests Tigers 10; Broncos 18

Points conceded per game: Wests Tigers 8; Broncos 27

Televised: Live on Nine, Fox League

Source: NRL.com

I’m so pumped for this game, let’s see what Bird’s got. That said, tempering expectations a lot as he will be rusty and underdone.

I expect bird to have a short but intense stint, opacic to offer some respite, then maybe give him another run at the end, a bit like the forwards. Plenty of hit ups in our own half.
I'm guessing the length of both stints depend on his impact in the first stint. He might play through but it would be a big ask, first game back.
Hopefully thaiday builds on last week, because he looks the most vulnerable form wise.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Oates get a chop in the middle at some point this game.

Can’t wait to see Bird. He’ll help Oates.

Plus he’ll help Milf and KNiK because he’s another half (ie another point of attack if Milf gets caught and can’t get the kick away)....

Milf, Glenn, Bird and Oates that might be the best left side attack in the comp...

Plus he’ll help Milf and KNiK because he’s another half (ie another point of attack if Milf gets caught and can’t get the kick away)....

Milf, Glenn, Bird and Oates that might be the best left side attack in the comp...
Sua for Glenn (eventually) will be some combo.

I think sua will be added to that list too.

I wonder if bird is better off coming off the bench. Let opa handle the early defensive work then bird to come once the tigers tire

I wonder if bird is better off coming off the bench. Let opa handle the early defensive work then bird to come once the tigers tire

Maybe bring him on after 30. Could move Opa to wing and Oates forward for a 30 min stint.

I don't see the point.

Whether he starts or comes off the bench, his shoulder is going to go through the same tests.

If the surgeon says he can handle it, then start him.

I don't see the point.

Whether he starts or comes off the bench, his shoulder is going to go through the same tests.

I did initially think he might be better off the bench to start with purely down to his lack of match fitness, but i totally agree about his shoulder. If its not going to stand up, it wont matter when we play him.

I don't see the point.

I was thinking more for attack. I agree about his shoulder but with his lack of Match fitness his explosiveness could be more deadly coming on later in the game.

Active Now

• Allo
  • kman
  • Broncorob
  • Fitzy
  • Wolfie
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Swordfish
  • Aldo
  • Foordy
  • RolledOates
  • Waynesaurus
  • sooticus
  • Bucking Beads
  • Jazza
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.