Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

624fb1dfb4690fd01dc678f68ebc0ad1

FLASHBACK: Brisbane Broncos most famous Campbelltown win

March 22, 2018

The Brisbane Broncos have never lost to the Wests Tigers as a joint venture at Campbelltown, but a victory against the odds on a cold winter's night 16 years ago defines what it means to pull on the famous jersey.

In a season where the Broncos celebrate 30 years in the big time and as they prepare to play Wests Tigers on Friday night, NRL.com took a trip down memory lane to 2002 when the "Baby Broncos" were born.

Brisbane had six debutants, a plethora of stars in Maroons camp and half a dozen injured, but still prevailed 28-14 under captain Shane Walker.

"That night we showed that the Broncos have always been a team where, no matter who is put out there, everyone will do a job and is capable of doing a job," Walker told NRL.com.

"We had nine players in the Origin side and the group that played that night knew they'd be sitting in the foyer of the hotel watching the game.

"As much as you want to do your family proud, there is nothing like being able to play well for your teammates and sometimes for the ones that aren't playing.

"We turned up extremely confident we could get the job done and you could sense an over-confidence from the Wests Tigers, and then you could feel the fear of failure grip them when they realised early on in the game that they were in over their heads."

That night several future stars took the field, including Corey Parker, Scott Prince and Shaun Berrigan.

"When you look at the players we had in our team who went on to have decorated careers, maybe we should have been a lot shorter in the betting," Walker said.

Walker said it was also a night where Craig Bellamy, then Wayne Bennett's assistant, "made it very obvious to us just how great a coach he was".

Bellamy took the reins for the contest with Bennett on Maroons coaching duty.

"It was all about the way Craig broke down a game and, more than we'd ever seen before, just how much he understood the opposition and their tendencies defensively," Walker said.

"Then he just gave the group a lot of confidence to be able to exploit areas of their game.

"I distinctly remember they had a left-hand winger named Hassan Saleh and off every scrum, he would get up extremely hard and jam in.

"Craig just said, 'I want you to show like you are going wide to the centre and entice him up even further and then have the confidence to kick for the corner for the winger'.

"He said if we had a scrum 40, 50 or 60 metres out to do it. We practised it, executed it and scored a try off it."

Broncos team v Wests Tigers in 2002: Nick Parfitt*, Steve Irwin, Casey McGuire, Stu Kelly, Scott Minto*, Brett Seymour, Scott Prince, Corey Parker, Shane Walker (c), Robert Tanielu*, Michael Coorey, Brad Meyers, Phil Lee. Interchange: Elia Tuqiri, Nathan Friend*, Chris Kahler*, Steve LaCaze* (*denotes debutants).

Source: NRL.com

View attachment 2666

March 22, 2018

The Brisbane Broncos have never lost to the Wests Tigers as a joint venture at Campbelltown, but a victory against the odds on a cold winter's night 16 years ago defines what it means to pull on the famous jersey.

In a season where the Broncos celebrate 30 years in the big time and as they prepare to play Wests Tigers on Friday night, NRL.com took a trip down memory lane to 2002 when the "Baby Broncos" were born.

Brisbane had six debutants, a plethora of stars in Maroons camp and half a dozen injured, but still prevailed 28-14 under captain Shane Walker.

"That night we showed that the Broncos have always been a team where, no matter who is put out there, everyone will do a job and is capable of doing a job," Walker told NRL.com.

"We had nine players in the Origin side and the group that played that night knew they'd be sitting in the foyer of the hotel watching the game.

"As much as you want to do your family proud, there is nothing like being able to play well for your teammates and sometimes for the ones that aren't playing.

"We turned up extremely confident we could get the job done and you could sense an over-confidence from the Wests Tigers, and then you could feel the fear of failure grip them when they realised early on in the game that they were in over their heads."

That night several future stars took the field, including Corey Parker, Scott Prince and Shaun Berrigan.

"When you look at the players we had in our team who went on to have decorated careers, maybe we should have been a lot shorter in the betting," Walker said.

Walker said it was also a night where Craig Bellamy, then Wayne Bennett's assistant, "made it very obvious to us just how great a coach he was".

"It was all about the way Craig broke down a game and, more than we'd ever seen before, just how much he understood the opposition and their tendencies defensively," Walker said.

"Then he just gave the group a lot of confidence to be able to exploit areas of their game.

"I distinctly remember they had a left-hand winger named Hassan Saleh and off every scrum, he would get up extremely hard and jam in.

"Craig just said, 'I want you to show like you are going wide to the centre and entice him up even further and then have the confidence to kick for the corner for the winger'.

"He said if we had a scrum 40, 50 or 60 metres out to do it. We practised it, executed it and scored a try off it."

Broncos team v Wests Tigers in 2002: Nick Parfitt*, Steve Irwin, Casey McGuire, Stu Kelly, Scott Minto*, Brett Seymour, Scott Prince, Corey Parker, Shane Walker (c), Robert Tanielu*, Michael Coorey, Brad Meyers, Phil Lee. Interchange: Elia Tuqiri, Nathan Friend*, Chris Kahler*, Steve LaCaze* (*denotes debutants).

Holy ****!!! Parker looks like Klemmer in that photo. It's like his exact double. No wonder he wanted him to show some respect.

Hoping to see an annihilation tonight.

But I get the feeling we will be a bit flat after last week’s performance. That would have taken a fair bit out of us, some of the players couldn’t even stand at full time.

We must not give Benji time and space. Get up in his face and force errors, he doesn’t have that explosive speed and quick footwork that he once had.

And I hope to see Lodge flog the **** out of Packer.

My three predictions for the game. Bird will score. The Broncos will win. The Tigpies lock will impress. I watched this Matt Eisenhuth last week and I thought he had a brilliant style especially in defence. If he stays injury free he could have a massive career. Unfortunately it will be for NSW.

Win the middle and we win the game. Really is that simple.

If TPJ and Lodge play the way they did last week, we win.

View attachment 2666

March 22, 2018

Two things, remember Walker’s comment about being made captain. Something about the last time he was that excited was when his wife came home dressed as a French maid. Second, that quote about Saleh, preview of why Bellamy is such a good coach (I like Kevvie but I’d love to see Bellyache coach the Broncos...we’d be nearly unbeatable).

Two things, remember Walker’s comment about being made captain. Something about the last time he was that excited was when his wife came home dressed as a French maid. Second, that quote about Saleh, preview of why Bellamy is such a good coach (I like Kevvie but I’d love to see Bellyache coach the Broncos...we’d be nearly unbeatable).

Surely all coaches review their opposition with a fine tooth comb and come up with a game plan to suit right?

Feeling like a win is on the cards.

Cleary has done a magnificent job getting his troops to buy in, and deserves the plaudits for inspiring them to two big upset wins.

That said, as well coached as the Tigers are, they're still a pack of bums. I don't expect them to sustain that level of performance, and I expect our style of play to ask more questions of their defence than Melbourne's structured approach.

Keen to see Bird in our colours, biggest question mark for me is his conditioning, not his shoulder. If his fitness is up to scratch, I'm expecting him to make a statement tonight.

A winning penalty count would be nice for once.

View attachment 2666

March 22, 2018

The Bronco's most famous victory IMO as they had absolutely no business winning that game but a bunch of no names, (most of whom never kicked on to a successful NRL career) were able to do the unthinkable.

Hoping to see an annihilation tonight.

But I get the feeling we will be a bit flat after last week’s performance. That would have taken a fair bit out of us, some of the players couldn’t even stand at full time.

We must not give Benji time and space. Get up in his face and force errors, he doesn’t have that explosive speed and quick footwork that he once had.

And I hope to see Lodge flog the **** out of Packer.
I'm not sure if Lodge is a "flog the ****" type player. He is still finding his game shape and is constantly struggling to even get back on side. He seems to be pretty sluggish and slow as well. He needs half a season under his belt before we will see his best. I'm not sure if his best is really that great TBH.

Feeling like a win is on the cards.

Cleary has done a magnificent job getting his troops to buy in, and deserves the plaudits for inspiring them to two big upset wins.

That said, as well coached as the Tigers are, they're still a pack of bums. I don't expect them to sustain that level of performance, and I expect our style of play to ask more questions of their defence than Melbourne's structured approach.

Keen to see Bird in our colours, biggest question mark for me is his conditioning, not his shoulder. If his fitness is up to scratch, I'm expecting him to make a statement tonight.

A winning penalty count would be nice for once.

I would just like to see him fit into the team and play well, help shore up our traditionally bothersome left edge and if he can contribute something special to the win, all to the good.

I think he's got fantastic skills for such a big fellow, for any size forward for that matter. One of his offloads in the last game was sublime. I think he'll be a star forward for years to come if his thinking stays grounded.

I think he's got fantastic skills for such a big fellow, for any size forward for that matter. One of his offloads in the last game was sublime. I think he'll be a star forward for years to come if his thinking stays grounded.
That is the big if unfortunately. Particularly with the current daily Lodge exposé.

Re Lodge, I noticed at the game he was almost doing too much. Making every second tackle almost and was just buggered. He needs to pace himself until he gets the miles in his legs

Re Lodge, I noticed at the game he was almost doing too much. Making every second tackle almost and was just buggered. He needs to pace himself until he gets the miles in his legs

Possibly just trying to prove himself straight away, what with all the media bashing. He'll hopefully settle as weeks go on.

He needs to focus more, as well. Although that could improve if he isn't as fatigued by pacing himself.

If TPJ wasn't there last week, we lose. All because Thurston sucked in Lodge and left a huge gap for Bolton to run through.

Active Now

• Turky Murky
  • Astro
  • phoenix
  • Brocko
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Wolfie
  • Jazza
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncos4life
  • Justwin
  • Strop
  • broncsgoat
  • Financeguy
  • something
  • BroncosAlways
  • Fitzy
  • Fatboy
  • kman
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Fozz
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.