POST GAME [Round 7, 2024] Broncos vs Raiders

It was also an obvious dominant tackle.

The part about him being initially involved makes sense .
That it was a dominant tackle shouldn`t mean you can just be nearby and flop on the guy with the ball because your team mate just made a dominant tackle .

Madden had his best game. He did all we need from a 7.

Agreed....he's still nothing flashy, but if he can do last night more regularly
its all we need, with Mam & Walsh finding the points.

Madden's kicking was much better...without being great

I think my biggest takeaway from the last few weeks is Walsh, Ezra and Patty taking ownership of the attack without Reynolds... it's a good sign for when we are post Reynolds.

I also liked Walsh kicking last night.. he has a massive boot on him and it's a good option with him lined up on the left... might be able to catch the fullback out of position.

Ezra had some nice kicks as well ... nice little cross field kick for the Riki try was right on the spot and the bomb that landed right on the goal line and created a drop out

Yep Walshy put in his mandatory kick over the dead ball line .
FMD ! It`s getting monotonous Reece .

Ezra was lucky there was no kick pressure .
The pass Oatsey threw him was high and behind him . A good chase could have / would have forced Ezra to change his plans . But nope . And Baker showed some nice skills .

Agreed....he's still nothing flashy, but if he can do last night more regularly
its all we need, with Mam & Walsh finding the points.

Madden's kicking was much better...without being great

You see that bomb he put up that lead to Mam's try? That came down fizzing. I don't think any fullback would have enjoyed trying to catch that, let alone a rookie. Madden is showing improvement the more chances he gets, that is all you can ask.

The other thing I really like about Madden is that he is quick, both with his feet and in his head. He did some fantastic covering tackles too that as much as Reyno would want to pull off as well, his little legs wouldn't let him do so.

Great night. Beers on Caxton st. Amazing first half. Expected what I saw 2nd half. Weather was so bad.

Walsh taking a high hit to the bottom lip/chin going through for that try….. No one’s mentioned that.
Go the mighty Broncos.

I thought at the time Chevy Chase got off very lightly .
How is it you can smack the opposition in the mouth and draw blood but get no punishment ? I didn`t see , a thats on report signal or nothin .
Could be an 8 point try IMO .

You see that bomb he put up that lead to Mam's try? That came down fizzing. I don't think any fullback would have enjoyed trying to catch that, let alone a rookie. Madden is showing improvement the more chances he gets, that is all you can ask.

The other thing I really like about Madden is that he is quick, both with his feet and in his head. He did some fantastic covering tackles too that as much as Reyno would want to pull off as well, his little legs wouldn't let him do so.

He`s got good vision too .
I have seen him throw a lot of passes that lead to tries . But the digging into the line before unleashing the back line impressed me . Making space by straightening and threatening before the pass .

I said three weeks ago when Madden ran six times against Norths and let his outside backs run riot that I was hoping that was his blue print for how he plays and yesterday he did it again.

He ran nine times but look at his backs.

Line breaks
Walsh 3
Oates 1
Staggs 1
Cobbo 1

Every back made over 100m just like Wynnum did that day- Staggs was just short on 96m and three tries.

He kicked beautifully just like against Norths-375m v 329m.

Last year there was games he ran 23 times; it is too much and doesn't leave enough room on the canvas for anyone else.

Last year in 1sts it seemed as if he was told to run .
5th tackle close to the line ? Show and go . Get tackled 2 metres out . It was weird .
He seemed cool and composed Saturday night . But still no short kicks ?

I thought at the time Chevy Chase got off very lightly .
How is it you can smack the opposition in the mouth and draw blood but get no punishment ? I didn`t see , a thats on report signal or nothin .
Could be an 8 point try IMO .
Jordan and Hunt got off without a mention also - they both went high during the game. Jordan's particularly I was surprised didn't get a mention when he belted that bloke in the in-goal.

@McHunt

What happened with Smoothie last night ?
Billy and his cohort scored 28 points . Tyson and his crew 6 ?

Blows up your Smoothie = points theory .

Your excuses ?
We blew the second half, didn't we?

Billy's best game in a Brisbane jersey, I thought. Same with Madden, and obviously, Baker.

Some real STFU stuff that.

Everyone is piling on Hunt this week. Certainly had a few notable high-vis blunders, some not surprising for such shitful conditions.

But I actually thought, for the most part, he's holding his own, and that includes getting in support for that try he blew. Some time in the Cup will do him good.

Tristan, on the hand, has been a bit underwhelming considering expectations.

We blew the second half, didn't we?

Billy's best game in a Brisbane jersey, I thought. Same with Madden, and obviously, Baker.

Some real STFU stuff that.

Smoothy does have a slicker pass off the ground but .
I noticed the width he was getting to the 1st receiver . That does help stretch defences .
Hunt is a 1 %er guy . I liked what I saw in the trials . Now he`s actually looking like he`s part of the team . If he had held onto two passes he would be a hero about now . Good back up . Just hurry up and get fit Brendo .

Smoothy does have a slicker pass off the ground but .
I noticed the width he was getting to the 1st receiver . That does help stretch defences .
Billy lifted his game a lot. No complaints from me about that first half.

Everyone is piling on Hunt this week. Certainly had a few notable high-vis blunders, some not surprising for such shitful conditions.

But I actually thought, for the most part, he's holding his own, and that includes getting in support for that try he blew. Some time in the Cup will do him good.

Tristan, on the hand, has been a bit underwhelming considering expectations.
Yeah I thought Hunt was playing totally fine, just had a bad 10 minute period. Billy had a great game too, I really don't think he has peaked at Hooker as of yet.

Jordan and Hunt got off without a mention also - they both went high during the game. Jordan's particularly I was surprised didn't get a mention when he belted that bloke in the in-goal.

Just a love tap . LOL .
Yeah I thought Riki might get a fine ? Didn`t notice the Hunt one .

Yeah I thought Hunt was playing totally fine, just had a bad 10 minute period. Billy had a great game too, I really don't think he has peaked at Hooker as of yet.
I wouldn't like to project much more on Billy and Jock from that one performance. As Jock said, when Ezra and Reece are on fire like that the job is easy: just get the ball to them. Jock was also flattered by the weather confounding his bombs, especially for that rookie fullback (what a gutsy performance though). Somehow we seemed to have got the weather onto our team.

All said though, Madden and Walters gave us the most satisfying half of football I can remember for years, maybe second only to our finals win over the Storm. Credit where it's due.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Bucking Beads
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Fitzy
  • Justwin
  • Foordy
  • Galah
  • Evander
  • Browny
  • Maroon4life
  • Battler
  • Alec
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.