POST GAME [Round 7, 2024] Broncos vs Raiders

Controversial opinion coming up. Lets see how Willison and Te Kura progress this year and into next, and if they are looking the goods over a longer period of time, let Payno walk at the end of 2026 and invest in those 2 instead. As good as Payne can be, i feel that gives our pack better balance with our cap.
A prop of Paynes calibre is a luxury. Possibly one you don't really need. If like you say you could spread his cost across two or three other quality props. We can obviously perform well without him. Patrick on the other hand is something else and in my opinion a much higher priority. But we will see how Paynes return effects the squad. One would think he will want to make a statement. He could honestly come back in and dominate.

A prop of Paynes calibre is a luxury. Possibly one you don't really need. If like you say you could spread his cost across two or three other quality props. We can obviously perform well without him. Patrick on the other hand is something else and in my opinion a much higher priority. But we will see how Paynes return effects the squad. One would think he will want to make a statement. He could honestly come back in and dominate.
Yep, I agree. Payne playing in a team of losers and he really never once won us a game. Patty on the other hand, His work as first receiver completely changes the way we play. Teams are unsure if he runs and draws in three Defenders, or passes to either Walsh or Mam. They are always left guessing. The roosters game showed us how much we need Patty in the middle.

Smoothy and Jensen loving it

Kobe smash

I wouldn't like to project much more on Billy and Jock from that one performance. As Jock said, when Ezra and Reece are on fire like that the job is easy: just get the ball to them. Jock was also flattered by the weather confounding his bombs, especially for that rookie fullback (what a gutsy performance though). Somehow we seemed to have got the weather onto our team.

All said though, Madden and Walters gave us the most satisfying half of football I can remember for years, maybe second only to our finals win over the Storm. Credit where it's due.
He was putting up kicks that had a lot more going for them in general though. Sure the weather helped but that’s by far the best kicking performance I’ve seen from him. His kicks had the aura of a good halfback not a reserve graders kicking game.

The thing guys like Payne have to figure out and likewise our other young forwards is that if you take that huge deal either here or at another club, it will have a carry on effect. You will be playing with a team of spuds who you need to carry. You will win few games and be consistently at the wrong end of the ladder. Not to mention over used and battered long before you're time case and point JT.

Then you have a guy like Jensen. Likely underused and undervalued in a team always looking to big JT. Who comes here and shines because he is exactly the type of old school no frills prop a quality team needs. He has been fantastic for us this year.

I want angry Payne !
Chilled out Payne is good , angry Payne is betterer .

Can we get a boo squad organised to fire him up ?
Seemed to work well when he asked for a release ?

Not to mention over used and battered long before you're time case and point JT.

I`ll see your JT13 and raise you a JFH .
JFH is 8 years into his carreer and won the Golden Boot last season ....
I think the JT13 has become a meme .

"A bird in hand is worth two in the bush".

A measure of just how far we as a club have come is this current dicussion on here about the future of Haas.

It wasn't long ago that he was it for Brisbane. We would literally fall apart if we lost him. Lets not beat around the bush though.

He is a generational talent, and 'could' end his career as the best ever prop produced in the Australian game. And he plays for us, until i believe 2026.

A bird in hand...

However, and rightly so, his greatness in our eyes as Broncos supporters will be how many premierships can he guide this team to? Now i think Wolfie posit that maybe we have to look long and hard at any extension offer to him post 2026 for the sake of the team.

I reckon, somewhere deep in Red Hill, someone there is thinking exactly that too.

The way I see it, we have begun a new cycle at the club. Much like the first 30 years was framed by the 92/93 team, this one now will define and represent the standards for the next 30.

I mean, the similarities can't just be a co-incidence?

It took Lazarus to come to finalise what Bennett had built. The majority of our salary cap was invested in our backline and him. But around that we had Gilly, Cann, Allen, Matterson. Unsung heros both on the pitch and across our salary cap.

We even have another Walters at hooker FFS..!

Development isn't linear. Sometimes i forget this truth too.

Here's my point; to keep the Haas's, Carrigans and Walsh's of this world, you need to bring in Baker and Hunt types and give them time and space to develop.

With the hope the whole can become greater than the sum of the parts.

This gives the club the space and, importantly, time to groom and build these guys with incredible ceilings like Te Kura and Willison and learn how to become NRL players and good team mates with the same work ethic and adherence to culture that the senior players have.

But right now, thats all it is - potential. Neither of these guys could ever reach theirs? You just dont know?

But - i know what Haas is, what Patty is, what Jensen is.

I say, lets build around them..

Re Hunt, Baker and Madden, I think we have hyper expectations of these players. Jock's got a hard role in that he is getting crumbs here and there and everyone expects him to come in and shine from the get go. I think if he ever gets an extended run he will start to show us he is potentially a good fit to replace Reynolds.

Re Hunt and Baker, both players are not highly experienced NRL players and have come to a new club and have to learn the style of play and how to play with a new team. I think they are both doing well.

Hunt in particular I think is more recognised as a middle and probably was not expecting to play 80 or close to 80 minutes.

Give them a break and see where they are in another 5-7 rounds.

...also...i dont actually think i made a point at all in the above rant so....

I guess i just dont want Haas to leave yet...? :rofl:happy:

nothing worse than eating shit food and spending the night double dragoning
Try on the morning you are supposed to leave Brisbane it sucked I am glad I am home I had a glass of ginger ale

Re Hunt, Baker and Madden, I think we have hyper expectations of these players. Jock's got a hard role in that he is getting crumbs here and there and everyone expects him to come in and shine from the get go. I think if he ever gets an extended run he will start to show us he is potentially a good fit to replace Reynolds.

Re Hunt and Baker, both players are not highly experienced NRL players and have come to a new club and have to learn the style of play and how to play with a new team. I think they are both doing well.

Hunt in particular I think is more recognised as a middle and probably was not expecting to play 80 or close to 80 minutes.

Give them a break and see where they are in another 5-7 rounds.

Good call .
I can see positives from Baker and Hunt . Baker had groin surgery in the off season . I think he will get better as the season unfolds .

I reckon Kevvie / Alf / Donuts see Jock play against Reyno week in week out at training they know what he`s got and think he could be the man to replace the man . Otherwise I think they would be offloading him and some other potentials to secure another #7 lickety split .

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • Waynesaurus
  • ivanhungryjak
  • MrMoore
  • Rambstien
  • Porthoz
  • leon.bott
  • Xzei
  • RodF
  • The Don
  • Stix
  • Fitzy
  • marw
  • Brocko
  • Wolfie
  • Shane Tronc
  • Financeguy
  • mitch222
  • Old Mate
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.