Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

WHY IS COREY PARKER STILL GOAL KICKING!!!??

THERE NEEDS TO BE AN INVESTIGATION INTO THIS!

Kahu actually took over kicking while Parker was on. Bennet (or maybe even Parker himself) knew we needed the 2 points this game.

Not sure why you're comparing a centre to a winger..

Reed - 10 tackles, 0 missed, 1 tackle break, 0 line breaks, 0 tries
Roberts - 12 tackles, 1 missed, 3 tackle breaks, 2 line breaks, 1 try

It's all well and good giving Reed a pass mark for his defence, but when he's a genuine liability in attack because of his speed, then we're going to start having some issues. Especially if Hunt and/or Milford are off their game, we're going to need our outside backs to at least be a genuine chance of creating something (Like Roberts did on multiple occasions today)

Well after over a year of comparing the two I thought it was ok to compare them but when the shoe is on the other foot I guess it doesn't count.

I have to say our lack of depth in the 9 is beginning to become a big concern. When McC is lost for 4 weeks and everyone panics, you know it's a bad predicament.

You can't have quality replacements in every position. If Cam Smith goes down for the Storm they're cooked, same with JT for the cows, Maloney for the Sharks. I do agree that there has to be a better hooker somewhere in the system though.

The Cronulla Sharks have survived a monumental comeback by the Broncos to claim their sixth straight win with a 30-28 victory at Southern Cross Group Stadium.

In what was their first day game since Round 19 last year, the Broncos seemingly struggled to handle the early kick-off, falling behind by 22 points after 40 minutes.

But as the sun set in Sydney's Shire, the 2015 grand finalists clicked into gear with four unanswered tries after the break to almost pull off one of the biggest comebacks of the season.

The Sharks had earlier put on their best half of footy in 2016 to pile on 28 points before the break, but were restricted to a solitary James Maloney penalty goal in the second half – which proved to be the difference in the end – to join the Broncos, Cowboys and Storm at the top of the NRL Telstra Premiership ladder.

The warning signs were there early for the Broncos as Sosaia Feki went agonisingly close to forcing a grubber from Gerard Beale after six minutes.

A high shot on Corey Parker moments later allowed the Broncos lock to knock over the gift two points but it did nothing to stem the Sharks' momentum.

After Jack Bird forced a line dropout with a deft kick, Feki got the try he had been denied earlier courtesy of a gem of a cut-out pass from former Bronco Ben Barba.

The hosts were in again when Michael Ennis spotted some space behind the ruck to kick through for Paul Gallen who beat Anthony Milford to the loose ball to extend Cronulla's lead.

A knock on from the kick off gave the Broncos a much needed reprieve, and several plays later, Darius Boyd did what his opposite number did at the other end to send Jordan Kahu over in the corner.

That try would prove to be a mere anomaly as Cronulla swiftly responded through five-eighth James Maloney who stumbled over the line for his fourth try of the season.

The Cronulla faithful could hardly believe their eyes as a Barba grubber was fumbled by Kahu into the waiting arms of Beale who produced a miraculous offload for Feki to dive over for his second.

There was still time for the hosts to add to their tally before the break, and they did just that with Chad Townsend showing the poise of an Australian slips fielder to snuffle in a Maloney kick – his second such effort in the space of a minute – to score under the sticks.

The 28-6 half-time score was a true reflection of Cronulla's dominance as they restricted the Broncos to just 413 running metres (they average 1,614 a game in 2016) and most of them came from one scintillating run from James Roberts.

Whatever Broncos coach Wayne Bennett told his players at the break did the trick as the visitors stormed back into the contest with two quick tries to close the gap to 12 points.

The first was an almost obligatory try to Corey Oates who took advantage of a spilled kick by Bird to dive over for his eighth try of the season before Roberts fought through several would-be-tacklers to have the home fans sweating.

The Broncos dodged a couple of bullets with both Beale and Chris Heighington going close, but it was a case of third time unlucky for the visitors as Maloney pushed the lead out to 14 points with another penalty goal 20 minutes from full-time.

But just as day turned to night, the Broncos of old came to life to turn what had been an absorbing contest into one of the games of the season.

Fittingly it was a pair of veterans who did the damage, as Sam Thaiday crashed over off Boyd's third try assist of the evening before the evergreen Corey Parker had NRL Fantasy coaches in raptures as he fought through three defenders to make it a two-point game with eight minutes to play.

A huge hit by Jayson Bukuya on Ben Hunt at the death looked to have ended it only for the bunker to rule it a shoulder charge and hand the Broncos one last chance.

However, Anthony Milford's grubber was easily handled by Barba to consign the Broncos to just their second loss of the season.

Cronulla Sharks 30 (Sosaia Feki 2, Paul Gallen, James Maloney, Chad Townsend tries; James Maloney 5 goals) defeated Brisbane Broncos 28 (Jordan Kahu, Corey Oates, James Roberts, Sam Thaiday, Corey Parker tries; Corey Parker 2, Jordan Kahu 2 goals) at Southern Cross Group Stadium. Half-time: 28-6 Sharks. Crowd: 14,406.

Sharks hold off Brisbane in a thriller - NRL.com

Last edited:
**** me you lot are harsh. We literally played half a game, giving them a 20-something point head start, and only lose by 2 with 3x (iirc) missed conversions?

Tonight gives me hope that we're the real deal, again. We did only play one half. Key players were either terrible (Hunt), missing (Macca, Blair) or had a bad night (Milf). Our speedster is injured yet still has a blinder. I rate the Sharks as the third best team in the comp behind the Cows and us, and I think they were at about 90-95% of what they can achieve, that first half was bullshit lol. I felt the second half was somewhat equal, yet we far outscored them - playing like that for the full 80 minutes and the full time scoreline is about what the first half was but in the opposite direction.

Do we have plenty to work on? Absolutely.

Was the result a surprise? Not really, most of us backed a Sharks win considering the players we're missing and feeling the team has been getting a bit complacent.

Can we be better? You bet your fucking life, mate.

Forget the doom and gloom, let's forget this result and move on. Abysmal first half but to their eternal credit they really turned it around, and really turned it on in the second half despite what I mentioned above. We're top 2 material lads, don't doubt it. We'll come good.

Back to the game - sorry Waddell, but that was atrocious...one more chance, that's it. I can accept you were overawed in your first game in our colours, I will forgive that performance, but you have one more chance only.

J-Wal should have started. He was a beast again and should have had more minutes. I'm firmly in the J-Wal camp. Props to big Joe-O too, he was great and played big minutes. The young guys really stood up again tonight, very very happy.

Niko did really well, he's fast firming into a solid 1st grader and has proven he's capable of taking on the #9. Would still run with Waddell or maybe Moose at #9 if Waddell doesn't improve next week. Start J-Wal and Thaiday with Moose #9, then bring Kodi on after 15-20 mins? Food for thought.

Anyway. First half didn't happen. We lost by goalkicking, playing at half capacity. We're sweet, don't lose heart. Top 2 material even without 2 major players.

I know Wadell hasn't played first grade in a while but surely he should remember he is meant to pass the ball backwards

If there is such a thing as a good loss, that was it.They paid the price for their first half, but showed enough character in the second half to allay any fears the fans may have had. Had they snuck a win lessons may have not been learned. Gallen clearly has a pass and can do whatever he likes. Lol , sharks fans celebrating like they'd won the GF.. Wallace and Joe O were fantastic off the bench again.

We didn't deserve to win that because of the first half. Cows, Eels and Storm would have pushed them right from the first minute and I don't think we're as consistent as those teams. A nice comeback though.

We didn't deserve to win that because of the first half. Cows, Eels and Storm would have pushed them right from the first minute and I don't think we're as consistent as those teams. A nice comeback though.

I don't think the cows would look too flash with Tamou/ Scott and Graville out.

Very poor first half, but they had all of the momentum and the breeze and we did not appear to have our game heads on for the first half. I saw in the second half exactly what I wanted to see, a gritty fight back and by rights they should have won the game. At least they minimized the damage to our for and against which was looking like it was going to take a real hit.

My biggest concern out of the whole game was the continuing problem our halves have in pressure situations in closing out sets and closing out the game. Until that changes, we will not win the premiership. The cows' halves are so far ahead in this department and unless that gap closes somewhat I don't like our chances.

Oh and great captain's try to Parker to get us right back in it.

WHY IS COREY PARKER STILL GOAL KICKING!!!??

THERE NEEDS TO BE AN INVESTIGATION INTO THIS!

It's been discussed, debated, talked about ad nauseam... it's beyond a joke. It is utterly baffling to me how a professional first grade side can have a first choice goal kicker who does not participate in the entire game...and see nothing wrong with it... and lose close games because of it... and still see nothing wrong with it...

We were truly outplayed in the first half . Sharks were on fire. But the boys really showed some grit in second half.

Still don't get why Kodi was not the first pick at dummy half and did not play out the bulk of the game there, Is he just pigeon holed as a bench player? He is too good a player for that .

Well after over a year of comparing the two I thought it was ok to compare them but when the shoe is on the other foot I guess it doesn't count.

It's fine to compare them, but not on a game where they're playing different positions lol, defending on the wing vs defending in the centres are completely different things, if Reed was forced to play on the wing he'd be dropped to Queensland Cup within a fortnight.

When we were down by 2 and had the scrum on our line, I was hoping that Hunt would do the kick down the field for Roberts to score a try, instead Hunt gets tackled trying to run through a non existent gap :(.

Also, how many bloody passes can Wadell throw forward before he learns? Holy shit we were lucky to only get pinged for it once!

That first half we were poop. But deadset, whatever the Sharks did turned to gold. If it wasn't the Kahu knock on bouncing directly into Beale's hands to pass to score, or the suspicious pass from Barba to Feki that rated not one mention on the Fox commentary team, it was the Townsend try, which deadset 9 times out of 10, he would have dropped from the bobble. As it happened, he didn't, and bumbled over the try line. Hopefully this game is the catalyst for Parker's removal from goalkicker duties, because he is woeful. He's bad in general, but this year, if it ain't like within 10 metres, he misses.

I'll take the 2-point loss. We were 6/10 for the game to Cronulla's 10/10 at home, and we lost by two. You can't win 'em all!

Where are all the Macca haters?

1st thing - long time reader, recent forum member.

2nd - when Macca first played he was bad (ish) and I was one of those bagging him. However in the last 3 years he has improved IMMENSELY and now will defend his HONOR!!!

Sharks made WAY too many meters up the middle; wouldn't have happened if Macca and Blair were there. (Ps still think Blair's "charge" was farcical at best)

Active Now

• marw
  • Bucking Beads
  • sooticus
  • Financeguy
  • Foordy
  • Sproj
  • FACTHUNT
  • Xzei
  • Dash
  • Tim K
  • Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.