Should the Broncos renew Hunt's contract

Should the Broncos release Ben Hunt?

• Total voters
If you want to be the highest paid player on the team then its pretty much expected of you. Don't think the cowboys would pay Thurston top dollar if he sat back and let Morgan run the show. If Milf wants the big bucks then he has to take control of his team. The onus shouldn't be just on Ben Hunts shoulders because he wears the 7. Maloney wears 6 for the sharks but is their leader and highest paid half and therefor he is the main man in attack.

The onus should only be on Hunt if he played the old school first receiver role. If they're playing on separate sides like they did for 2016 then they both need to accept the responsibility.

If you want to be the highest paid player on the team then its pretty much expected of you. Don't think the cowboys would pay Thurston top dollar if he sat back and let Morgan run the show. If Milf wants the big bucks then he has to take control of his team. The onus shouldn't be just on Ben Hunts shoulders because he wears the 7. Maloney wears 6 for the sharks but is their leader and highest paid half and therefor he is the main man in attack.

It's kind of funny everyone saying hunt needs to do this and that.... oh and also do it for about half as much as we want to pay your halves partner.

Why is milf not being groomed to be our complete half?? At $1m a season you should be expecting him to game manage, long kick, gain repeat sets and put points on the board. All the things hunt is being criticized for but there is no talk of him getting $1m a season

What a crock of shit, Hunt has 4+ years of experience and 80+ more games of NRL to his name, that's why he's expected to be the primary playmaker, in almost all cases the more experienced player in the halves is the one expected to be the primary game manager.

The Pro-Hunt advocates are really running out of excuses for him lol

What a crock of shit, Hunt has 4+ years of experience and 80+ more games of NRL to his name, that's why he's expected to be the primary playmaker, in almost all cases the more experienced player in the halves is the one expected to be the primary game manager.

The Pro-Hunt advocates are really running out of excuses for him lol

As opposed two the single, he can't kick, excuse you guys have?

I'd say you ran out of excuses the moment you put your debate forward.

He can't kick. I'm not sure he'll ever get there. A guy like Cleary has a better kicking game already and he's been playing five minutes. His defence is also not as good as people think.

His decision making as well needs a lot of work. Way too many brain snaps in pressure games.

I'm cool if the Broncos want to release him. A fresh start might do him good. He looks very frustrated out on the field.

Yeah we'll be back to square one with a rookie halfback but there's plenty of them showing promise. Yes, they're very raw and have a lot to work on - just not sure that a guy like Hunt, at his age and point in his career, should be working on fundamental elements of a playmaker's game.

What debate? I don't think anyone is arguing that Hunt is a capable kicker within 20 metres of the opposition goal line (I certainly haven't seen anyone claim that he is on here)

The people who are defending Hunt's short kicking game are listing every possible excuse in the book, as long as he bares none of the fault, it's never his fault. Someone needs to make a meme for next season, an image we can post every time Hunt has a bad game.

"Ben Hunt had a poor short kicking game and terrible 5th tackle options tonight, what was the reasoning?

A) Our forwards didn't make enough meters!
B) Poor service from McCullough!
C) Milford makes more money!
D) Lockyer & Langer didn't help him!
E) He played bench Hooker for 4 seasons!"

What debate? I don't think anyone is arguing that Hunt is a capable kicker within 20 metres of the opposition goal line (I certainly haven't seen anyone claim that he is on here)

The people who are defending Hunt's short kicking game are listing every possible excuse in the book, as long as he bares none of the fault, it's never his fault. Someone needs to make a meme for next season, an image we can post every time Hunt has a bad game.

"Ben Hunt had a poor short kicking game and terrible 5th tackle options tonight, what was the reasoning?

No one thinks he's a good kicker, that doesn't mean there isn't a reason why. You just choose to not accept those reasons because of your blind hate for him. So you can take aim at the other side all you like, but you're not really any better.

Wouldn't you be frustrated if you guided a team to a GF and everyone hated you?

Heh...that's certainly part of it but honestly my take on that is I don't care about the dropped ball. What annoyed me more is the spear tackle a few minutes earlier that gave away a dumb penalty. Put us under a mountain of pressure and backs up my comment re: defence and decision-making.

A similar thing happened this year in the Cowboys semi-final. Exact same team, exact same circumstances - what exactly has Hunt learnt in 12 months? Exactly nothing. He does another bone-headed lifting tackle and gives away another dumb penalty. That was the moment I lost patience with him.

I think he's frustrated with our forwards. They got dominated far too easily this year in a lot of games. Makes it tough for our halves to put their stamp on the game.

Maybe as well he's dwelling on missed opportunities. He's nowhere near the picture of the Australian team anymore. I believe he's more talented than Cronk and Morgan combined but I think Morgan has already played more Origins than he ever will. How can that be?

Getting suspended form the Maroons as well was poor form. I don't care about Holmes, Milford etc. They're young and will learn from the experience. What's Hunt's reason? He's older and more experienced? Peer pressure lol.

He can't kick. I'm not sure he'll ever get there. A guy like Cleary has a better kicking game already and he's been playing five minutes. His defence is also not as good as people think.

His decision making as well needs a lot of work. Way too many brain snaps in pressure games.

I'm cool if the Broncos want to release him. A fresh start might do him good. He looks very frustrated out on the field.

Yeah we'll be back to square one with a rookie halfback but there's plenty of them showing promise. Yes, they're very raw and have a lot to work on - just not sure that a guy like Hunt, at his age and point in his career, should be working on fundamental elements of a playmaker's game.

Really disagree with this.

I felt like the 2015 Grand Final really effected him and played on his mind the entire 2016. His kicking game was pretty good in 2015 but was pretty average in 2016, but he has the ability to be a good kicker short and long.

I think this year will be the best of the career, looks really fit at pre-season training and by all reports is really happy. Hoping he goes back to his 2015 style of play and I really think Jason Demetriou will have a real positive impact on our halves.

Definitely don't want him to be released.

:laugh: That is awesome!

Don't forget the one about how he deliberately bounces off forwards that run at him to give time for cover to arrive. Where I come from a missed tackle is a missed tackle but times have changed.

Really disagree with this.

I felt like the 2015 Grand Final really effected him and played on his mind the entire 2016. His kicking game was pretty good in 2015 but was pretty average in 2016, but he has the ability to be a good kicker short and long.

I think this year will be the best of the career, looks really fit at pre-season training and by all reports is really happy. Hoping he goes back to his 2015 style of play and I really think Jason Demetriou will have a real positive impact on our halves.

Definitely don't want him to be released.

Yeah definitely. The recruitment of Demetriou is definitely a step in the right direction.

And you guys seem to think a repeat set is better than a try ...

What we could do is something the opposition is NOT expecting... throw the player with the better short kicking game (I.e. Milford) the ball on the 5th.

What do you think?

That way when the entire team is racing up to put pressure on Hunt (since he always gets the ball on the 5th) Milford will have shit loads of time and space to move ... but instead of getting a try that space may open up, he would have to go for the better option and get a repeat set.

Still waiting on a stat to see how crap Hunt was with his kicks inside the opposition 20. I reckon he hit legs 5 times this year, how many time did he kick to set up tries? This debate is crap until the opposition brings something factual to the table. At this point, after hearing the same thing repeated over and over again, I need numbers.

We should make a meme where if something bad happens we say "Thanks Ben Hunt" in a super sarcastic yet not very funny way. Hur hur I'm hilarious. #Memez4dayz

Still waiting on a stat to see how crap Hunt was with his kicks inside the opposition 20. I reckon he hit legs 5 times this year, how many time did he kick to set up tries? This debate is crap until the opposition brings something factual to the table. At this point, after hearing the same thing repeated over and over again, I need numbers.
But even if we have numbers the prove one side of the argument or the other, then we will have people from the losing side claim that stats don't tell the right story.

But even if we have numbers the prove one side of the argument or the other, then we will have people from the losing side claim that stats don't tell the right story.

Not in the slightest, if someone can find a stat from 2016 that details effectiveness and/or success rate of kicks within 20 metres of the opposition goal line, and Hunt isn't in the bottom 3 in the league, I'll never bring it up again.

Active Now

• Fozz
  • kiwibronco
  • Manofoneway
  • dasherhalo
  • Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.